Thread: increase realism

increase realism

How can increase the realism of architectural projects?

I like to know if is possible increase the realism of these images.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sabana Alta 1.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	84953   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sabana Alta 2.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	84954   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sabana Alta 3.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	84955  

The tiling of the bricks is pretty obvious, I use a brick or block DPont procedural from Denis Pontonnier. You can find them here:

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/main_en.htm

RmanCollect - Textures and Nodes
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

As with many renders (including my own) everything is too clean, I know the client doesn't want to see things with rubbish and muck in the streets etc. but a little variation in textures goes a long way.

If you can try and paint the maps to add variation instead of the old procedural method (which is a quicker way, but still often CG looking).

Atmosphere. Try turning on fog (very faint) things get lighter the further away they are, a lot of outdoor renders never use this at all, so they are all unrealistically clear.

Also, is there _any_ depth of field in the scene? A _very_ small amount might help.

Are you using 'Real Lens' camera too? If not try it, the subtle characteristics from a real lens will also add to realism.
    Last edited by Matt; 05-19-2010 at 10:21 AM.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Layerss of surfaces work well too.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Crossed the mantle...CORE Twisted_Pixel's Avatar
    Matt & Shrox raise valid points.
    In addition I would add the building placement 'feels' wrong, the grass just slopes up to the edge of the building. Practically this would be unwanted, I would imagine there should be a path around the base of each building, with steps on inclines that are too steep to walk. Though if you are building to someone elses design, this becomes a point to omit.
    A little internal lighting on the multi-story car park might add to the realism also, the blacks feel very dark.
    | Lw 11.5 | Win 8 x64 | Intel Q6600 - Intel DP45SG - 4GB CorsairTwinX - Sapphire HD 4850 Toxic (driver 8.741.0.0) |

all valid points by the other posters... additionally, i'd desaturate a little bit the images (try around 12-16%) in photoshop, and add a very slight vignetting to the borders to create a photo look and for focusing the eye a bit. if it's your taste, you can also add a very slight 'blooming' effect in PS, as described in several available tutorials around. this could compensate a bit for the lack of physical atmosphere.

a last observation: the sun shadows look too soft to me, try to make them around as half as soft (moving the area light away from the scene) - on such a sunny day, shadows are sharper. give them a slighly blueish coloration for added realism.

nice work, otherwise!

cheers

markus
    Last edited by 3dworks; 05-19-2010 at 10:54 AM.
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

OSX 10.12.x, macpro 5.1, nvidia gtx 980 ti, LW2015.x / 2018.x, octane 3.x

What trees are that, they look very good.

Thanks for these advises, they really help me to improvement my work.

And is true some clients don't like rubbish and muck.

also don't underestimate the power of post production in photoshop or AE or similar
    With a few gradient layers, blurs, noise, etc I changed your render a bit (hope you don't mind) in a way that quite probably isn't at all what the client wants, but just to show what you can do after the render is done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sabana Alta 1_PS.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	586.4 KB 
ID:	84966  
    Intel Core i7-4770 @3.40GHz,GeForce GTX 660 - Ram 8Gb - Win 8.1 64b

I would use VUE vegetation and Vue render. Attached is somehitng I did 2 years ago. You need to WOW the client!
    be a billionaire, share your wealth

I don't like your palm tree at all, they are difficult I know, they take up a lot of polygons or clip maps depending on how you go about it.

On the third image the garage and windows on that building are pitch black, very odd considering how bright other shadowed areas are. I have never liked noon sun, but that's a personal taste, I rather have a morning or afternoon feel, orange sun light with blue sky painting the radiosity balances out nicely.

Careful with that blur now... You will turn your skyscraper apartment building into a miniature from a Mr. Rogers set.

Blur in a single focal point (i.e. don't try to reproduce a shift lens).

If you look at your final product and can easily imagine a giant finger coming out of the sky to play with the cars on the street.... you've gone too far.
    Playing guitar is an endless process of running out of fingers.