Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Any one bought an ipad?

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    Flash works great on touch screens, see Adobe's video about it on HP's device:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p-RZAwQq0E

Unfortunately it looks like HP may be going with WebOS instead of Win7, since they bought out Palm. I'm hoping they at least offer Win7 as an option.
    I was referring to lite OS's...those on smart phones and devices etc...but it would be interesting to see the performance difference if they do go WebOS

As a side note : adobe is embracing HTML5

Kuzey

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzey View Post
    As a side note : adobe is embracing HTML5
    Interesting news. Speaking of HTML5 Apple released an HTML5 Showcase gallery. Of course the first thing people noticed was that it only works with the Safari browser. The next was that almost none of it is HTML5. I tried it on my iPhone and only one (maybe two) of them worked 100% the way it's supposed to and they were all sluggish.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

Flash works great on touch screens, see Adobe's video about it on HP's device:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p-RZAwQq0E

Unfortunately it looks like HP may be going with WebOS instead of Win7, since they bought out Palm. I'm hoping they at least offer Win7 as an option.
    i'll have to checkout that HP slate once it arrives and also...see where it's priced as well.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
    i'll have to checkout that HP slate once it arrives and also...see where it's priced as well.
    It's meant to be $549-599, which works out to be cheaper if you consider the storage, 3G, & of course stuff like USB.
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/05/h...-hour-battery/

Currently due out by October.
    ~~Phil Nolan

Interesting news. Speaking of HTML5 Apple released an HTML5 Showcase gallery. Of course the first thing people noticed was that it only works with the Safari browser. The next was that almost none of it is HTML5. I tried it on my iPhone and only one (maybe two) of them worked 100% the way it's supposed to and they were all sluggish.
    Actually...it only works with Snow Leopard and Safari, I just tried it on Leopard/Safari and no go..hehe

I think, it's more showcasing what can be done in the near future than actual html5 demos kinda thing. It might be updated to true html5....once the new iPhone OS comes out and the new Safari browser....just a guess as always

Kuzey

You guys do know that the iPad has USB through the dock connector cable included?

Whats all this about no USB when it does have it?

Ron

The cable connects it to a computer's USB port. The iPad does not have any ports of it's own. The big deal is that people want to connect things like game controllers and flash drives to the iPad.
    ~~Phil Nolan

The iPads USB access is through the dock connector port, there are adapters for USB accessories and camera card readers etc, and more on the way Via third party.

Just because it does not have a separate USB port does not mean it has no USB input/ output. After all there is only so much room inside such a small package for internal components.

Ron

There is an adapter, which I understand only works with cameras and can only transfer certain files. You also have to pay an extra $30 for this adapter.

Correction, it works with some (not all) other peripherals, but the price and fact that it's not built in are still there regardless
    Last edited by Philbert; 06-05-2010 at 05:02 PM.
    ~~Phil Nolan

There is both a cameras adapter and a second USB adapter, this is just splitting hairs.The third party guys are ramping up to provide thousands of accessories for the iPad.

As to Game controllers the operating system does not provide for this as the controller is the touch screen the same as an Ipod touch. The apps would have to specifically written to use an external controller, aint gonna happen.

I am a Apple developer and have paid the fees for the Os4 SDK, and am currently developing a suite of tools for sport training and coaching. I have been a Coach for 30+ years and i have a lot of tools that i want to get onto the iPad as apps that will make life a lot easier for other coaches in sport.

What your asking for is what laptops are made for, the ipad is a totally different beast and this has to be understood, what you require may not be an iPad, fair enough, get whatever tool provides for your needs. Don't expect one manufacturers product to do exactly what you want, that is silly and may i say does not happen in real life

Ron

a good real world use of the ipad

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jakehumph..._video_bl.html

it's a video blog and part way thru you see Jake explain why he's now using an pad rather than a clipboard/physical notes that he used to use.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

You may call it splitting hairs but there are tons and tons of people complaining about it. Nobody wants to spend additional $30 (or any amount) for something that only partly works when they just spent $500+. I don't know why Apple can't do it when most or all of the other "pad" manufacturers are. Like the Asus EPad that has one USB port built into the right side.

BTW I'm not totaly against the iPad, I'm still considering getting one.

"not available in your area"
    Last edited by Philbert; 06-05-2010 at 05:55 PM.
    ~~Phil Nolan

You may call it splitting hairs but there are tons and tons of people complaining about it. Nobody wants to spend additional $30 (or any amount) for something that only partly works when they just spent $500+. I don't know why Apple can't do it when most or all of the other "pad" manufacturers are. Like the Asus EPad that has one USB port built into the right side.

BTW I'm not totaly against the iPad, I'm still considering getting one.

"not available in your area"
    Thats the beauty of free choice, vote with your wallet in an informed way and get the product that works for you.

I just happen to see a big use for these puppies and am putting my money and sweat in to the platform.

I really do appreciate that your needs are different than mine and i do like that your willing to stand up and state this publicly.

Variety is truly the spice in life, and other manufacturers will be wanting to part you from your money as well.

Apple has made the iPad to operate like an iPod touch or iphone, and all files are either Up/downloaded via Usb or wireless, this has worked exceedingly well for those products so why change what works, no doubt in the future you will get more connectivity.

Ron
    Last edited by RonGC; 06-05-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwestmas View Post
    Heck no, I'm getting a windows based lappy top with 4G. They are waaayyy more worth the price.
    Just a note...

You may want to wait a bit longer .. There are no 4G wireless networks in Wisconsin. Sprint's WiMax is not 4G. It's a single channel bastardized version of the same 3G network. By the end of the year AT&T and other carriers should have LTE network built out in most major cities in your area - but you need to check for availability. It may not be until the end of next year for some areas.

Cheers
    Playing guitar is an endless process of running out of fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopper View Post
    Just a note...

You may want to wait a bit longer .. There are no 4G wireless networks in Wisconsin. Sprint's WiMax is not 4G. It's a single channel bastardized version of the same 3G network. By the end of the year AT&T and other carriers should have LTE network built out in most major cities in your area - but you need to check for availability. It may not be until the end of next year for some areas.

Cheers
    Thanks for the info.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast