Thread: What a joke

Angry What a joke

I've been using Lightwave for some time, and have had 8.5 since it came out. I've worked with UV maps for quite a while, so I know my way around that area.
    Now days it seems more and more people are using Collada as a format for importing items into games, etc.
    So I download the 9.6 trial to see if the exporter, which I've heard there are issues with, is really broken, or if it's just "platform issues" as tech support put it.
    I am absolutely amazed at how ridiculously retarded 9.6 is acting when it comes to UV maps. I move polygons around and while moving one, two others will suddenly decide they need to be overlapped and points on the map which were not there previously, appear out of nowhere.
    So, instead of moving points to adjust the map to the texture, I modify the texture to the map, to at least see if I can work it that way.
    Go to surfaces, as normal, add an image map, set to UV, set the texture for the UV, and.. no display at all in the perspective window. Just a default surface grey box.
    Is the entire program this messed up? No wonder I run into so many people who have dumped LW and switched to other packages.

yeah, this sux, i dont know how the older versions behave regarding UVs as i started to use UVs recently, but man, this sux so much.. unwrapping again all the maps after allmost every change i made to model...

as switching to another package is expensive for me (not only purchase price which is for example for Modo quite reasonable).. but also the learning time...

and i hope there will be fix for "old" lightwave as CORE seems to be very very far away to being usable..
    and with CORE there is also that learning time.. (which will be maybe better spent in learning modo)

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    UV's in LW are, err, shall we say, less than perfect?
    The PLG plugins help a lot, though many say exporting your object to Blender or Silo / 3D-Coat is a better way to handle UV's.

I've found most of the time, to do anything, sometimes, you just have to unweld, not very elegant, but I admit to being a "newbie" at UV's so maybe there is a smart way in LW, I've just not found it yet.
    Too old to die young.

Yeah! UV in LW is not so good actually, but PLG plugin solves it! Nice plugin!
    Silvio Toledo
    Brazil

Can you make a video of the problem? Or screen shots i'm not sure what your talking about.

Yes points need to be unwelded to work some times. But it's just an inconvenience not a joke.

I never have that many issues w/UV's. Use PLG, it makes unwrapping organic stuff easy. Yes, unweld is needed, but not all the time.

One thing to note is clear the UV map if you are doing it over, that makes it easier. I also like setting my XYZ scale to zero when doing planer mapping.

UV's in modeler aren't that bad, I do like that it uses the interface tools for position,rotation, scale.

Wish list:
    Really wish it had edge selection and island/edge snapping. I also wish it had a display for correcting which way the faces are in UV space.

Quote Originally Posted by silviotoledo View Post
    Yeah! UV in LW is not so good actually, but PLG plugin solves it! Nice plugin!
    I'm glad we have pluggin coders , but you should be able to get decent UV mappin straight out of the box