Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SpeedEdit2 Crash with unhandled Exception

SpeedEdit2 Crash with unhandled Exception

Having repeated problems with SpeedEdit 2.0 Crashing when I drag a Video or JPEG file into the timeline.

When this happens it brings up my visual studio debugger with this message - unhandled win32 exception occurred in speededit.exe[1908]

There are about 100 video clips in this particular sub directory which range in 1 min to 10 min each.

I have about 300 gigs of free space on my hard drive.

I already deleted speededit2.0 and reintalled it with the same outcome.

It was working properly for about 1 week.

What should I do next ?
    Tomc

You did not say what OS or system specs, it really does help. But before posting, try and get the files you want from Explorer(what Version?), Copy/Paste, to see what happens. That is cause and effect trouble shooting. If it loads, then must have a Prefs setting. Are there mixed formats in the folder? Seperate into new folders. JPEG, MPG, ect... I had the debugger installed a long time ago, but removed it, from some error like you are seeing. Depending on system specs, I never Cache thumbs.
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

Digitizing video since 1984
    HyMPG Designer since 1997
    [email protected]

In my experience over the years, crashes of this sort often relate to graphics card driver issues. Have you recently changed graphics cards, or drivers?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

My System is as follows
    Pentium Dual Core @ 2.5 GHZ.
    3 Gigs of Ram
    Page File 921 mb used, 4035 available.

I have not changed my graphic card in the past years. My Lightwave 9.5 runs fine on the same machine.
    Tomc

Quote Originally Posted by Tomc View Post
    I have not changed my graphic card in the past years.
    You might want to manually hunt down and install the most recent video card driver, as one possibility.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Since I have Tried everything else and I have an extra video card, I'll swap it out this weekend and let you know how it works.
    Tom
    Tomc

FYI, lots of ways to squeeze some performance in SE. Go into Prefs and turn OFF, rollover thumbs and previews. Leave the SEoutput window as small as it gets, use the FWire pass through to view the timeline y/c or composite on an xternal monitor, and even turn OFF SEoutput window in SE. Swapping the GPU will help if your GPUram is larger. If your running XP, look for an RTF/doc in SE main program folder. Edit Boot.ini with the 3GB switch. I also have several Control Panel shortcuts on my XP desktop. Sounds, turn off win sounds when in SE. There are like 10 or more Services/msconfig you can turn from auto to manual, so they don't load into conventional memory at boot.
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Tomc View Post
    Since I have Tried everything else and I have an extra video card, I'll swap it out this weekend and let you know how it works.
    Tom
    That would be an interesting exercise. If it doesn't make any difference, another reasonable possibility is that there is something wonky about a file in that particular folder. Clearing out the hidden info files and letting them regenerate would be a start, followed by isolating them in groups if necessary to see if you can locate a trouble-maker.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Spot on Steve. You will see the info folders in an Explorer window Tom. I always forget to have people do this Steve, as for whatever reason, I just never need to do this. Any .info folder SE generates can be deleted Tom, and when in SE and you goto any folder, it will generate a new one, for any pics or video in that folder. Any .format that SE can not read, will have a ? picon
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

Have not changed the video card yet but when I go into the debugger it says;
    Unhandled exception at 0x6441e414 in SpeedEdit.exe:0C0000005 Access violiatioin reading locotion 0x1efdd0000.

The call stack is pointing to AVCodec-nt,x86.dll.

It looks like we need a newtek programmer to figure this out but its craching when SpeedEdit calls the AVCodec. This happens two different ways.
    1. Dragging a clip into the timeline. (The instant it hits the timeline, at random times)
    2. Moving clips around withint the timeline. (At random times)

Thanks,
    Tom
    Tomc

Your video card drivers, or the GPU settings, are what is being reported. What OS, what GPU? If Vista you turn off UAE in Control Panel. Where are you sending SE Cache? When you move a file to the timeline, SE Cache is updated.
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

It may well be a bug, but perhaps just with specific clips. You don't mention whether you've tried the suggestions re: the info files or segregating files to narrow it down, Tom. For that matter, we don't know what format the video clips are?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Your're right Steve, Sunday morning I did a couple of things to help isolate my problem.
    1. Run the "Clean SpeedEDIT Configuration.bat" in the program directory.
    2. Tried a Clips using a .MOV Format instead of the .MTS file format which is generated from by Canon VIXIA HF R10 Camera.
    I Played with it for about 1 hour with the MOV forrmat and I did not get a crash. But when I switch to the .MTS (Mpeg4) it crashes within a few minutes. Not sure what I will do next but thanks for keeping me on track.

TOM.
    Tomc

AVCHD can be troublesome at the best of times, Tom, and a resource hog. You might find it a whole lot simpler to use the new Convert to SpeedHQ feature in the filebin rather than fight with it ...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Just Tryin' To Help...
    Try Steve's SpeedHQ suggestion Tom, converting .mts to SpeedHQ works great here. Not only works, but it's fast.
    SB Enterprises, Quincy, Illinois ~ in the backwoods of the US of A

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast