Thread: Is Datalink Good for CNN-Type Tickers?

Consultant

Is Datalink Good for CNN-Type Tickers?

Has anyone used datalink and LT to produce a news or finance type ticker on screen? How is new data handled, do you have to wait until no text is on screen for it not to change abruptly?

I haven't seen it in action and would like to know what your experience has been.

Thanks.
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    NewTek Certification Testing Center
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

TriCaster: All Models
    Cameras: Sony HDC-P1, X300

My opinion, uncensored. The blog at www.sandyaudiovisual.com.

Hmmm. By "tickers", you mean "crawls"? Gladly, CNN has now changed to a "flipping box", which I really like, over against the more-difficult-to-read, and now dated, lateral crawl.

Q1
    aid of their party... [This is CNN, the World Leader in Cable News] Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party... [This is CNN, the World Leader in Cable News] Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of
    Last edited by Quiet1onTheSet; 04-28-2010 at 09:26 AM.

Consultant
    Crawl yes. Thanks for making me feel old, Q1. Clearly I've just dated myself. When I was trained on a Bloomerg Business Terminal, it had two giant CRTs tied together and we still followed the old ticker tape paradigm.

Just turned on CNN at my desk (we get "wireless cable" here. Isn't that a funny term?).

I LIKE the flipping box thing. I guess if you get mad at it, you can say, "I hate that flipping box."

Seems simple enough. Thanks.
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    NewTek Certification Testing Center
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

TriCaster: All Models
    Cameras: Sony HDC-P1, X300

My opinion, uncensored. The blog at www.sandyaudiovisual.com.

i thought that datalink was for cg stuff - but was informed that it is for a scoreboard link
    only ...

Quote Originally Posted by hruffin3 View Post
    i thought that datalink was for cg stuff - but was informed that it is for a scoreboard link only ...
    It's a bit more than that. The DL plugin for SD TriCasters supports a number of popular gameclock/scoreboard systems, but also has 'watchers' that monitor database and ascii text file content. The integrated DataLink implementation in LiveText2 standalone does all of that and has a few new tricks up it's sleeve, also LiveTime, which allows the addition of time displays based on the host system clock to title pages.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Thanks for the info Steve. When is LT2 available?

Back to the ticker question, how does LT with DL or LT2 handle this? Example, if the crawl is moving left to right and displaying type based on, say watcher info, does it change type as soon as the watcher file updates? I will use BluffTitler as an example to better explain. In BT, you create a crawl animation with links to a RSS or XML data base. The time line length is observed before the type is updated so when the project is played in loop mode, it displays what it received from the database file and keeps it on screen till the animation is over. Then as it starts over, it uses the database again and if it has changed, so does the text but not during the animation and only after it starts again.
    So how does LT with DL or LT2 handle this? Not owning DL makes it hard for me to experiment with but if it is looking at a watcher file and changes the type to match the file, the question is, is it as soon as the new file drops in? This is not so much a bad thing (although I like BT;s method) but more of an understanding of how it functions so as to best use it.

Thank you,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Quote Originally Posted by joseburgos View Post
    Not owning DL makes it hard for me to experiment with but if it is looking at a watcher file and changes the type to match the file, the question is, is it as soon as the new file drops in?
    Yeah, it does, although there are a few things that make that more useful than it sounds, but which I don't want to mention publicly just yet as it's not all final. I do like the 'finish the current pass and then update' notion, though - will take that under advisement, thanks.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    An opening field and closing field could be used in the database to help the loop and let people know new data is coming rather than empty space. Like first field could be Ticker ID and last field todays date or time or both. Ticker ID is the most commonly used.
    Yeah it is the right way to do it IMHO. Otherwise you could be reading the ticker and reading, say field 04 and all of a sudden it changes because a new file was dropped in the watch folder. Again not anything that can't be worked around but be nice to have options.
    Hey you did not say when LT2 will be available?
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Quote Originally Posted by joseburgos View Post
    Hey you did not say when LT2 will be available?
    That's true.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator