Thread: Focus Enhancements FS-H200 compatability

Focus Enhancements FS-H200 compatability

We recently purchased a FS-H200 "direct to edit solid state recorder" for our church. In order to record more than 2GB files we have to use Quicktime with UDF formatting of the 32GB SanDisk CompactFlash memory card.

To edit, the FS-H200 connects to the VT[5] computer with a USB cable. We can load the file directly on the SE timeline and play video and audio but no audio waveform is displayed. Synchronizing clips and editing audio as rather difficult without the audio waveform.

This seems to be related to the UDF memory card formatting. It can be formatted as FAT32 with clips limited to 2GB and the audio waveform displays as usual. If the file is copied from the FS-H200 to a hard drive and then put on the timelind the audio waveform displays as usual.

Any ideas on how to get SE to produce audio waveforms for a file on a UDF formatted memory card?

Thanks for your help.

Bob

Can you copy the files to your hard drive and then edit them, or does the samething happen?

Yes. When a file is copied from the FS-H200 to a hard drive on the VT and then placed on the timeline the audio waveform is displayed as usual.

Just Tryin' To Help...
    When you play the files from the memory card is a "NewTek Info" folder/directory created on the card within the folder(s) where the video files are located? That's where the audio waveform file for each clip is created (along with the .jpg files for the clip icons, etc.). It's possible that the UDF card is "locked" somehow or there's not enough empty space on it for the necessary waveform and other files to be written. (The NewTek Info folders are "hidden" by default so you need to set your system to "Show Hidden Files/Folders" to see them.)
    SB Enterprises, Quincy, Illinois ~ in the backwoods of the US of A

There are no NewTek files on in the folder the clips are in. Any way to encourage SE to create an info file on the memory card?

Newbie Member
    First of all, why are you using quicktime? The UDF format works just fine for DV (if SD) or for M2T (HD)... That may be part of your audio waveform problem...

The problem of no INFO file likely lies in the fact that when you plug your unit into the computer, you basically close the card to writing (HDD mode)...

I was not a fan of working straight from the Focus unit or of the usb connection, so for ~$23 I installed a CF card reader... I know I can work straight off of the card from there (don't do it often, but it works) or I can copy the entire card in just a few minutes... far faster than the USB 2.0 connection that they want you to use...

What connection does the CF card reader have?

Newbie Member
    It's internal.. so typical USB/FW MoBo connection.... Like I said, I can copy the whole cards (32gb is our standard) in what feel like a few minutes (never actually timed it, but it's gotta be around five minutes... going to a 6 drive RAID 0+1 array {and yes, that matters})

Could you give me the make and model of the card reader?

Thanks for the helpful ideas.

Our problem with DTE is our operating system (XP). XP can read only with the FS-H200 formatted in UDF which is required for files over 2BG. Vista has read/write capability. Windows 7 is not mentioned in the User Guide. We can copy to a hard drive but that is not DTE. Guess we should have downloaded and read the User Guide before purchasing the FS-H200.

The internal CF reader sounds like a viable option but there are quite a few negative reviews on Newegg.

We were considering upgrading to Windows 7 (after checking with Focus to see if it could write to UDF) but Trading the VT in on a TCXD850 looks real tempting.

Bob

Newbie Member
    We have not had any issues with that card reader, despite the negative reviews... Maybe we just got lucky...

Good luck...