Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TriCaster and NewTek @ NAB 2010

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoVa View Post
    So I'm curious as to what is under the hood of the new 850. Is the motherboard a dual - or even a quad - i7 Intel with about 24 Gigs of RAM? Maybe there are a couple of 1TB SSDs for the 2 DDRs. I know it shouldn't matter as long as it performs, but I'm a geek born with very high levels of technosterone and my curiosity needs a fix.
    I doubt that NT put SSDs in...due to cost and limited life cycles at this time.
    Though I too would be interested to see what's under the hood...but realize...you won't be able to build one yourself...NT isn't selling the video/audio hardware or software seperately like they did with VT.

So think of all the tricasters as a production appliance...the only thing you need to know is will it have the capabilities you are needing...if yes go get one...if not then look for something else.

Cheers,
    Ray Adams
    FX and Production Supervisor

TriCaster TCXD850 benefits and features include:

22-channel switcher with eight digital or analog inputs, two DDRs, two network inputs, titles, stills and eight virtual/mix channels
    Darn! My next project needs 23 channels! j/k

Congrats to everyone at Newtek on an exciting product that will create new opportunities in live video production for all of us in the industry.
    Blaze Streaming Media
    www.blazestreaming.com

Quote Originally Posted by ted View Post
    I about fell over when I heard how easy NewTek is making it to upgrade to the TCXD 850. But knowing NewTek, I shouldn't have been surprised.
    Ted, Ive been expecting something sooner or later, but even I was surprised! It won't suit everyone, and it's still a significant chunk of change, but it really is an astonishingly generous offer. More than that, as you and I discussed in person, the people who have done best through this recession are those who viewed the reduction in their usual business as an opportunity to aggressively grow in new directions, and from that perspective, this presents a real opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by ted View Post
    There was always a very good crowd at the booth. There were more people interested in the TriCaster products than ever.
    The reception has been very, very good. By the end of the first day, we very nearly met our target for leads generated for the whole week (the target having been a reasonable lift over the total number last year). You occasionally hear someone make someone dubious claims about the reception for a new product, but in this case it requires no exaggeration whatsoever to say TCXD850 has already proven to be a sensation. At the reseller event, people were scribbling orders on scraps of scraps of paper and handing them in before the introductory demo was over, I kid you not. I could go on at length about the impression it has made, but I'm too tired.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by radams View Post
    I doubt that NT put SSDs in...due to cost and limited life cycles at this time.
    And they're simply not required. The internal media and recording needs of TCXD850 are served by a single 2TB drive in the first of the three removable ('caddyless') drive bays.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    I'm curious about the dual network capability. Does this mean you can have LiveText and iVGA going at the same time?
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Yes, exactly, José. Also, 2 DDRs, plus a new Sound player, making a total of 5 internal Media Players.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Something not mentioned elsewhere yet in these forums is Artisan, which is a new tool for customizing your Livesets. This will be a boon to a lot of users, I'm 100% sure. It allows a fair measure of customization of existing sets with a very pronounced emphasis on user-friendliness. Pricing and whatnot are not settled yet, afaik, but the tool satisfies an eminent need very nicely. You can get a little glimpse of Artisan in a short video someone uploaded to YouTube last evening - do a search for NewTek NAB 2010 and you should find it.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Artisan is exactly what a lot of users were looking for some customization of a LiveSet. Is it only for the XD line?
    I may loose some of my business to it but I'm lucky most (98%) of my clients are looking for more customization then this (deep sigh of relief)
    I have so many questions for Artisan but the number one that comes to mind for what I do is, will it allow the import of an asset? Like a custom monitor, desk, platform, etc.?

Man two network inputs at the same time is great.

The sound player, can it be triggered by a transition?
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

What might we expect from software features trickling down to the TCXD300?

I'm thinking about things like rotation of sources, Silverlight support, etc...

I am a little concerned that the TCXD300 might be "left behind" as new features are implemeneted only in the TCXD850.

It's ALL about the light Paul Lara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachSchuster View Post
    What might we expect from software features trickling down to the TCXD300?
    We have announced no plans for a TriCaster TCXD300 upgrade. We recommend that you keep an eye on the forums, as new product announcements will appear here first.
    Don't stream it - TriCast it!

Paul,

I know you can't speak to what's coming down the pipe for future products and upgrades. I can take your last comment one of two ways, though.

One: We haven't announced anything (yet), but we're not abandoning development. Stay tuned for when we do make an announcement.

Two: We don't plan on making any updates. (With the tacit message being, "Thanks for buying a product that we're no longer going to improve. We hope it works out for you.")

I hold out hope that it is the first interpretation, because as much as I like my TCXD300, there are features that I was lead to believe it would have, but are not there (ie. graphic swoosh-style DVE's are not there, and the AUX audio outputs are completely useless to me in my workflow... that one in particular was not as advertised, in my opinion).

I realize this is a a busy time for you guys... I'm excited for this new product and know you don't have time to answer every concern raised. I guess what I'm saying is... you had a lot of people buy in to the TCXD300... don't abandon them.

Thanks for listening.

I believe there will be continued improvements on the TCXD300 simply because there will continue to be a market for it and eventually, competition (although I really haven't seen any real competitive products). IMNSHO, as computer hardware continues to improve (Intel already has their 6-core processors out), improved XD300s will come out along with upgrades for current users.

From Browser To Broadcast jmmultex's Avatar
    Putting my business hat on for a moment, as long as the code bases for the 300 and the 850 remain substantially the same, it should be cost effective for Newtek to maintain and enhance both platforms. No doubt some features could become unique to the 850, but most would likely be shared between the two. Why? If Newtek can share development costs across two products (that address fairly distinct segments of the market), they can enjoy benefits of scale they couldn't get from selling a single product. If that is the case, this would be a win for everyone.

In some ways, this is what I think is playing out with the incredible trade in offer for VT5 Live users. Newtek's business is now built around the TriCaster family and Lightwave. As much as i hate to admit it, the VT is a legacy product. There is no scale to it as a business. Support/maintenance costs will continue to grow, and there will be fewer people to spread them over as sales shift to TriCaster models. The XD850 is really the first HD upgrade model that could be considered feature equilivent to the VT. (The 3 camera limit of the XD300 makes it a poor choice for many Multicamera opportunities the VT deals with today.). While I absolutely welcome the $10,000 trade-in offer, my rational side sees it as a way for Newtek finally sunset the VT product line - albeit in a kind and gentle way - so they can focus their business investments on the products that represent the future of their business.

Just my two cents...

-john
    John Mahoney
    GNURAL NET, Inc.
    Trenton, NJ 08691

[email protected]
    http://www.gnuralnet.com

Gear:
    Gnural Net LiveToAir, TC1, TC1LP, MDS1, TC8000, Cameras: NDIHX-PTZ1, PTZ Optics ZCAM 20x

A perspective on the XD850....

Hi All,

Even though I have not gotten to see the XD fully implemented...
    This is such a major shift for production, including studio production.

I've helpd design tv stations and various studios, including internt virtual set studios...

And for the first time...
    Can replace most of a station's control room.

The only things that are missing that I can see are a fully hardware control head for the video side (with full control)...and one for the audio side (with faders).

The other thing is working with animated bugs, banners, text, etc...

For local TV, internet Studios, etc...why buy Grass Valley, Ross, Sony etc...save the $$ and use NT's XD850....most studios use 3-5 cameras...with 1-4 router sources...and now add in possibly skype sources now as well...

Wow...this is a complete game changing time...NT you need people who can help push this into large broadcasters for their smaller stations...and for internet news, etc...

This has so much potential...

I wish NT and all good luck with all of this...now we need more content, effects, sets, graphic packages etc...that can take advantage of all of this.

Let's have some fun

Cheers,
    Ray Adams
    FX and Production Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by joseburgos View Post
    Is it only for the XD line?
    As far as I know, yes.
    I have so many questions for Artisan but the number one that comes to mind for what I do is, will it allow the import of an asset? Like a custom monitor, desk, platform, etc.?
    From what I've seen, you can in some cases add a logo to an existing asset, but not import new objects otherwise.
    The sound player, can it be triggered by a transition?
    No, but I know why you asked.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast