Thread: Just got the Canon T2i!!!

Just got the Canon T2i!!!

Excellent stills, especially in low-light without a flash. The h264 .movs work in SpeedEDIT although I convert them to SpeedHQ right away. HD video quality is excellent in almost every lighting condition & an external mic in for audio all for less than a $1000.00. This is my first camera upgrade since my DV-500 which is SD and cost about $8,000.00. Now, I can edit remotely on my laptop which doesn't have firewire but does have a cardreader with the worlds most usefull editor, SpeedEDIT.

NDI Camera
    TriCaster Mini Advanced Edition
    Lightwave 11
    SpeedEdit 2.5

Music by www.soundtraxxmusic.com

Congrates on your purchase.

Just a couple of suggestions...

For the Video side of things...get some ND filters...or a variable ND (VariND).
    Like with my 7D...the highlights can easily be blown out...and color fringing etc.

Happy DSLRing

Check out Zacuto and Cinedeck
    Also have a look see at a friends blog...

Prolost blog.

Cheers,
    Ray Adams
    FX and Production Supervisor

Shawn,

You're just a step ahead of where I'm at. I'm ready to upgrade my outdated SD video camera and am really torn between a conventional HD camera and a DSLR option.

Please keep us posted on your experience with SE2 and the HD footage you are getting with the Canon.

Are you using the DSLR with a standard tripod? Are you looking at a shoulder mount rig? Are you doing everything handheld?

Stability is an issue with me. I'm thinking I would want a shoulder mount with a DSLR.

Hi lcress,

DSLRs are cool with some nice things...but they have HUGE drawbacks depending on what your main needs for shooting are.

What kind of productions are you doing?
    I might be able to steer you to a better solution.

Cheers,
    Ray Adams

I read the reviews and spec sheets but was unable to find out if the HDMI outputs give you a video signal during shooting, or does it just play back through HDMI.
    Hoping to maybe use it as a feed for a switcher or to record uncompressed into the intensity card.

Hi Don,

That depends on the DSLR...the Canon ones send out the overlay as well...so you'll get all the data info and a red dot if you record to the canon.

Otherwise you would be okay...if you shut off the data...
    Note though that the output from the Canon DSLRs is not a full 1080 through the HDMI in Live mode. It is something like 1006 or so...though according to the info I have when scaled to 1080...it is the same as what the camera records...I know this sounds strange...and I'm still looking into this.

Check out Cinedeck...

Cheers,
    Ray Adams

Steer me Ray. I am through with tape. I guess I have to go with AVCHD. Am about to get a Panasonic AG-HMC40. I like the idea of XLR as an addon but I guess I can do that with any Beachtek. I definitely want full HD 1920x1080 and 3 chip. Have any other suggestions for the price ($2000)? If you have a case against AVCHD, feel free to offer it. I am definitely through with tape though, so I guess P2 is the only other option?

Hi Tony,

Well I have mixed feelings about h.264.
    For me, it is a loosy format...meaning it drops so much information and limits color information to 4:2:0 and 8 bit.

Now the AVCcam...can also be in a 10 bit 4:2:2....But SE doesn't work with that...FWIK, SE doesn't work that codec and has issues pulling down the proper framerates...

I think you should wait until after NAB and see what's new that is coming down the road.

Cheers,
    Ray Adams

Thanks Ray. I can wait til NAB. I waited this long. I just wish I can get a tapeless camcorder that doesnt have so many caveats.

Well note that most of the newer camcorders are using a CMOS chip(s)...thus having the same rolling shutter issues that all DSLRs are having.

Most lower end camcorders are now 1/4" or 1/3" sensors...and most use some form of AVCHD...so in many ways the newer Camcorders have several of the issues that DSLRs have (Rolling shutter, AVCHD, etc.)

Video Camcorders though have normally better audio, variable power zoom lenses and Auto functions (including focus).

For $2,000 range there isn't much in the way of professional camcorders...there are a few more at the $5,000....and some at the $10,000 level...of course there are higher end models, that cost much more

Note that Canon is limited to only shooting around 10-12 minutes at a time.
    So Video Camcorders are still better for run and gun and long action as in sports, racing , etc...

So DSLRs haven't taking over yet.

Cheers,
    Ray Adams

HDMI Out...

Ray,did you say my T2i outputs UC video out of the HDMI ports without overlay, how about the stanard composite out? I have a standalone DVD recorder I could use to record with. I know it has live view on my laptop thriew USB, now if they would just enable recording from the USB cableon the laptop!!

NDI Camera
    TriCaster Mini Advanced Edition
    Lightwave 11
    SpeedEdit 2.5

Music by www.soundtraxxmusic.com

Thanks Ray. I do not have needs for any real professional cameras. I am not interested in a DSLR. I just want a good 3 chip that does not use tape. I do not do broadcast stuff but I do high quality local biography stuff, some wedding editing and dvd authoring.

When I read the reviews of the Panasonic AG-HMC40, you would think that it was the second coming of the lord of video cameras. I do not expect to do much high movement editing, so, maybe cmos is not that big an issue for me?

Quote Originally Posted by radams View Post
    Hi lcress,

What kind of productions are you doing?
    I might be able to steer you to a better solution.

Cheers,
    Wow, this has become a lively thread. It was a busy weekend...couldn't get back quick enough.

To answer your question Ray, my production requirements are pretty standard. I do some commercial production but mostly long format documentary, talking head, and the like. I want to avoid CMOS, which is what you get with a DSLR, but the price point makes it worth looking into.

I'm ready to retire my Canon XL-1 which has served me well for many years. It's time to upgrade to HD. I can push it uphill a little farther shooting 16x9 but the end is near.

I just upgraded to SE2 and am ready to see whether my system can push HD smoothly enough to edit.

I'm kind of looking at the DSLR solution as a stop gap measure.

I can't ake it to nab this year. Can someone from this forum report on the new cameras. i am looking to go to HD for $5,000 (or under if possible)