Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CG Challenge

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

CG Challenge

OK, so here's a toughie challenge. I have just tranlated and transcribed an interview. I want to subtitle it. I have all the text in a text file. I want 2 lines of text per subtitle page, and I have already set the margins on my text editor so that I have a correct title width, and I have even cut the text up into 2 line phrases with 2 lines between each.

I have Character Generator in SE, and I want to use it for this, with a separate page per subtitle, then drag all the pages onto the clip and have them in, sequence, then tweak them to length. I may even use the markers function to hack it up.

I want to know how to import a text file into CG, with a characteristic format to the first slide, and have CG import all the text line pairs as new slides, one after the other, until the whole text file is in, then drag all the CG Pages into SE.

How do I that?

Just drag the .txt file from the Filebin onto the canvas - this opens a text import dialog. Edit - Oh wait, you can't do that in SE afaik. You'll have to use CG Designer.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I have VT [3], can I create the pages there and then bring them into SE 2.0 for sa HD Project?

What I really want to see is about a hundred pages formed in instant rapid succession, all with the same text formatting and placement, but with different text.

If that means I have to save them all as different .txt files and import them all in one drag, I'll do that, because I can make a visualbasic program to do textfile stuff very easily.

Can I do multiple drags like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley Eugenius View Post
    I have VT [3], can I create the pages there and then bring them into SE 2.0 for sa HD Project?
    I'm really not sure if CG Designer had that ability back in VT[3] or not - long time ago. Just try it and see what happens.

What I really want to see is about a hundred pages formed in instant rapid succession, all with the same text formatting and placement, but with different text.
    Asked and answered.

(one text file, one drag -> many title pages)
    Last edited by SBowie; 03-29-2010 at 08:05 PM.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

From Browser To Broadcast jmmultex's Avatar
    Haven't looked at the file format of the .cg files, but if they were 'XML-ish', you could create the first .CG file by hand, then write a basic program to read it, replace the text with the next two lines from your master .TXT file, write it out with a sequence number, then loop until you're done.

I'll try to look at a CG file if I get a chance tomorrow. If it's binary, it still might be possible but would take a little more backward engineering.

Best,
    -john
    John Mahoney
    GNURAL NET, Inc.
    Trenton, NJ 08691

[email protected]
    http://www.gnuralnet.com

Gear:
    Gnural Net LiveToAir, TC1, TC1LP, MDS1, TC8000, Cameras: NDIHX-PTZ1, PTZ Optics ZCAM 20x

That is a brilliant idea.

Wish I'd thought of that. I'll check that out myself too.

Well, I tried it, but editing the text in notepad corrupts the files somehow & it won;t load at all.

I'll try a visual basic test later on to insert new text...

Hope it works.

Hi Steve - your prior post confused me...

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Just drag the .txt file from the Filebin onto the canvas - this opens a text import dialog. Edit - Oh wait, you can't do that in SE afaik. You'll have to use CG Designer.
    Since the project Mutley Eugenius is talking about seems to be HD, I was looking to SE as the way to generate the titles - not CG Designer. I took what you said above to mean that doing a batch create like this in SE wasn't possible - thus my 'utility' comment and attempt to explore a work-around.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

-john

P.S.: Have no fear - when you speak, I take it very seriously...
    John Mahoney
    GNURAL NET, Inc.
    Trenton, NJ 08691

[email protected]

Gear:
    Gnural Net LiveToAir, TC1, TC1LP, MDS1, TC8000, Cameras: NDIHX-PTZ1, PTZ Optics ZCAM 20x

Quote Originally Posted by jmmultex View Post
    Since the project Mutley Eugenius is talking about seems to be HD
    Sure, John, I'm just responding to this bit: "I have VT [3], can I create the pages there and then bring them into SE 2.0 for sa HD Project?"

If VT[3]'s CG Designer does have the text import facility of later versions (I think it does, not 100% sure), cranking out the CG pages is easy. As far as the .cg file resolution goes, I just tested this. I used LT 1.x to substitute for CG Designer - the SD title page auto-sized itself on import into the 1080i SE2 project.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Cool Steve - I just didn't want you to think I was ignoring what you were saying.

As for having the SD title auto-resize in an HD project, that sounds great. Was it able to do it without distorting the aspect ratio?

-john
    John Mahoney
    GNURAL NET, Inc.
    Trenton, NJ 08691

[email protected]

Gear:

Cool Steve - I just didn't want you to think I was ignoring what you were saying.
    No worries, John, I'm not touchy. One could certainly take another approach (such as writing an app), I'm just not convinced that the effort is required yet.

Was it able to do it without distorting the aspect ratio?
    I just used a 4:3 SD .cg file, so it was stretched horizontally - but hardly noticeable because the content was all vectors anyway. You could avoid that by creating the .cg files in 16:9 SD mode, which is what I'd have done if I'd thought a little longer.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

I'm away from my studio today so probably won't have a chance to look at it until later. From what you described, sounds like the file is binary and that this will require a programming approach vs a script. VB should fit the bill.

I could see a demand for a utility like this that could auto- generate things like lower thirds off of a file with names and titles/positions.

If you get it to work, let me know.

Best
    John
    Last edited by jmmultex; 03-30-2010 at 03:00 AM.
    John Mahoney
    GNURAL NET, Inc.
    Trenton, NJ 08691

[email protected]

Gear:

I could see a demand for a utility like this that could auto- generate things like lower thirds off of a file with names and titles/positions.
    Seriously, this is already native to SE. You just drag in ASCII text file onto the canvas and choose how many lines to read before creating the next new page - done. VT[3]'s version of VT-Edit is just too long ago to recall for sure whether it was there or not (I think it was).

BTW, if loading your text file into Notepad messed it up, the original probably wasn't actually a text file (.txt) - maybe a .doc?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    BTW, if loading your text file into Notepad messed it up, the original probably wasn't actually a text file (.txt) - maybe a .doc?
    Christ, Steve, don't you ever sleep? I was up all night sailing the ship around, so I have an excuse, but you...?

Anyway, I was trying to edit a .CG page in notepad by changing it to a .txt to edit it then back to .cg to load it, but it didn't work. Converting to notepad changes the character set sufficiently to make it invalid.

But back to your suggestion, ASCII text, I didn't know about that.
    I tried making a few test lines in notepad and saving ita as an .ASC file, then dragging it into a blank CG, but it just kicked it out. Is there something I have to do first? Like, how do I delimit 2 lines of text per page?

BTW, I'm going back to bed.

I was up all night sailing the ship around ...
    It's a tough life, but someone's got to do it.

I tried making a few test lines in notepad and saving ita as an .ASC file, then dragging it into a blank CG, but it just kicked it out. Is there something I have to do first?
    Try a simple .txt file. If it works, a dialog pops up when you drag it onto the canvas that allows you to set various things (like how many lines per page), justification, etc.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast