Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VT[5] v5.3 is available for download

64bit

I hope when you move to 64bits you can use more than 4Gb of RAM
    I think this is a windows 32 bit problems thats fixed on windows 64 providing Newtek have done their bit
    Take my advice I'm not using it

Really pleased there is a VT5 but some of us might need to make VT4 last a little longer (me in particular) so could I ask Newtek to support VT4 by providing a Windows 7 driver for the card, so it can be used with speed edit. I had them running together on XP but I have now upgraded to Windows 7.

I wish.
    << Nothing is true, everything is permitted >>

DaVinci Resolve, Fusion, Generation, LightWave, ChronoSculpt, NevronMotion, REDcine-X Pro,
    Nuendo, messiahStudio Pro 5, VT[4] v4.6, SpeedEDIT 2...

Liber 777
    It is not a lot to ask, I assume it already exists, and supplying it is what I call support
    and why I chose Newtek

If their policy is not to support older products then there is very little chance I will invest in new products

Surely I am not alone

From Browser To Broadcast jmmultex's Avatar
    To be fair to NewTek, I don't think it is reasonable to have the expectation that they will continue making an investment in VT4 (or VT5 for that matter). Moving a code base over to a new OS, doing all of the rewrites required to make it work, extending what's there to take advantage of added features, updating the drivers for the hardware components, and then testing, packaging, and supporting it in the field all require considerable effort and expense. As a small company, Newtek has limited development resources, and it simply isn't viable to have them investing significant effort in doing updates to EOL products. That would come at the expense of the investments they need to make in new products, and simply couldn't be justified as a rational business decision.

In my experience, Newtek's support goes above and beyond that of almost any other vendor in this space. They have always done a great job providing reasonably priced product updates, and typically offer incredible trade in deals for people moving from their older products. The community around all of their products (even EOL ones) is really incredible - open, patient and helpful (well, usually ) Even if you have no desire to upgrade, the system you have now - the VT4 - is as functional today as when you bought it - even if the platform it runs on isn't the most current. And you will get support for that.

I was a long time VT5 user, and ultimately upgraded to a TriCaster about a year ago. I do sympathize with your perspective, but also appreciate the limits of what any company can do to continue supporting old products. Even small features and upgrades - things that most people would consider trivial - require real resources and focus to make it into production with the level of quality a professional in this space requires.

I've never regretted any investment I have made in Newtek products - and that goes back to the original Amiga Toaster.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Best,
    John
    John Mahoney
    GNURAL NET, Inc.
    Trenton, NJ 08691

[email protected]
    http://www.gnuralnet.com

Gear:
    Gnural Net LiveToAir, TC1, TC1LP, MDS1, TC8000, Cameras: NDIHX-PTZ1, PTZ Optics ZCAM 20x

Data:
    A more logical request would be to ask they sell you a copy of VT5, since that version already supports Windows 7.

VT4 owner

Quote Originally Posted by inquisitive View Post
    Data:
    A more logical request would be to ask they sell you a copy of VT5, since that version already supports Windows 7.
    But I have Speed Edit that will drive the toaster card
    I don't want lightwave and all the other bits I just want the Windows 7 driver then my speed edit will work my VT 4 card (I hope) and I can then capture again

I would have though the driver should have been in speed edit

It must exsist so why not make it available

noboddy charges for drivers

Hi, Data
    Did you mention which version of SpeedEDIT you have there?

Q1
    Last edited by Quiet1onTheSet; 03-30-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Hi.
    I wouldn't be so confident that a driver's been written for Windows 7, for that now-replaced VT[4].

'As others have properly informed you, even the VT[5] platform itself has been EOL (End of Life'd) for quite some time, now. And most would expect that since NewTek had determined that Windows XP Professional was the best bet, in terms of Windows OS selection, for the standard-def TriCaster systems -- which utilize the VT[4] card by the way -- then it's reasonable to expect that our VT[4]s systems are in good company, with Win XP Pro under the hood.

Of course, VT[5] brought us 64-bit OS capability, but I'm inclined to think that since you've acknowledged that you have no interest in Lightwave use on your VT, then that additional RAM addressing that you're coveting after might not gain you a whole heck of a lot, relative to improved VT[4] performance, if that 64-bit option *were* available to you.

Moreover, it wouldn't surprise me at all, if we were to learn from someone in-the-know, that you'd realize significantly better performance if you upgraded your drives to the fastest you can afford -- most particularly, if you shopped in the SSD (Solid State Drive) realm. At the very least, you might experiment with a hybrid drive, that both utilizes SSD technology, and yet affords you a greater number of Gigabytes of storage per dollar, than a strictly SSD unit would give you.

To get the most out of your new SpeedEDIT, you'd likely not want to tether it to your VT[4] card anyway. Put that in a separate machine, which utilizes the latest technologies -- I'm anticipating seeing SpeedEDIT 2.x running on a new Core i7, 64-bit laptop, with 8-way processing and 8 Gigs of RAM.

Of course, SpeedEDIT-VT truly has some terrific capabilities, in connection with the VT[4] switcher -- some of which disappeared in VT[5], I might add.

Whatever you do, don't kid yourself into thinking NewTek isn't a worthwhile company to rock with, and that their support for legacy gear is lackluster. Relative to other companies' support for their gear, they're unparalleled, and my 23 plus years of experience with their products makes me somewhat of an authority on this, adding to John Mahoney's and others' excellent insights served up in this thread.

Funny thing: everytime this thread hits my INBOX, my brain gets jolted with the idea that there's indeed a brand spakin' new VT[5] update! LOL!

Q1
    Last edited by Quiet1onTheSet; 03-30-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Consultant
    Vt[5]5.2d Supports Windows 7.
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    NewTek Certification Testing Center
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

TriCaster: All Models
    Cameras: Sony HDC-P1, X300

My opinion, uncensored. The blog at www.sandyaudiovisual.com.

Vt 5

Ive Been With This company Since The Start Back back in the days of the Amiga when it Was The Only Platform It Supported ....but What Turned Me Away Is I spent All My Money into a VT5 And There Just Dropped Support and Repairs on The Product Without Warning ...Now When I Had The Video Toaster support ran years after they stop making The Card So I Felt Secure.....now I'm upset
    Yes I Was Very Upset Because I Had Just Brought A Stand Alone Version Of SpeedEdits When No One From The Company Even Cared Enough To Let Me No The Direction In which The Company Was Going. After Complaints They Ask Me Did I Want To Upgrade After A Month after My Purchase ...What a Waste Of Money ..what about all the money i just spent ... i guest that was my problem .. but you live and learn
    Last edited by Dparn74143; 04-16-2012 at 09:50 PM.

Darryl,

Feel free to call me at 919 810 9457 to discuss the above . . . .

Matt Drabick,
    DigiTek Systems
    Raleigh, NC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123