Thread: Simple but Realistic Looking Skin

Newbie Member

Simple but Realistic Looking Skin

Hi, I am trying to create skin that looks realistic, but at the same time appears like a pixar made animation.

Do I need to use kappa and Omega nodes? or will i get the same effect from good lighting?

Sample pic is of Jack Jack from Pixar's: The Incredebles. (I would like to create skin like this)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jackjack.jpg 
Views:	675 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	82731  

Good lighting will help for sure, but it won't definitely put you there. You'll need some sort of SSS effect.

You could use a SSS material for a cartoonish style like that, but SSS shaders will work too. I made this tests 5 years ago at the time that LW had no SSS shader (I did use distance to object gradients to fake the SSS effect):

Nowadays I wouldn't use Kappa or Omega (not even in that time ). Skin material will do the job of course, but for a cartoonish SSS effect, I would try with SSS2 node first, because of its faster results and simpler setup. Anyway you can export an SSS pass to tweak it in post with more flexibility or mix it with a diffuse shader or other SSS passes like Chanlum or the new DP_bssrdf node.

Gerardo

Thanks. Me too, I just need to find that model But my first try would be with SSS2 node.

Cheers,

Gerardo