Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blink Filter would be helpful

Las Vegas Toaster
    while yes a filter would be faster but that is not the only thing you are doing... Overall you would finish the project faster with SE... IMHO

I have literally gone head to head with multi million dollar AVID editing suites and me with my laptop and SE and have 100% beat the AVID guys (who edit on their systems 10 hours a day 6 days a week vs. me where I edit like 1 or 2 projects a month tops) normally it takes me about 25% - 50% of the time to do almost idential projects. Sure if you need some super fancy effects it may take me just as long as the AVID guys but for your bread and butter editing SE kicks all other systems out the door.
    Brett Beanan

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richvideo View Post
    Hi Paul,
    Would this give me the same strobe type effect like you see in my event edit demo?

Keeping with the theme of Speed Edit which is speed, I think this would be faster and more accurate to use as a filter IMHO

Any thoughts on a better deinterlacing filter Paul?

Thanks for the input!
    ~Rich
    It is not a strobe effect because the "blink" although may look like a strobe, it differs because the b;ink duration is actually the transparency of 100% transparent in-between the duration. If it is a strobe you seek and it sounds like it because you said you don't need to see the other clip, then if you own SE 1, Bob Tasa has a strobe effect for sale. He has not yet updated it for SE 2 yet. You may look into it as it is a Strobe effect.

Now if you want to mimic the blink effect in FCP can be done via the control panel setting key frames for the alpha. The key frames would look just like a square wave. I have done this many times and I too have wished for a Splines tool/plug-in. Since this does not exist, I can explain how I do it.
    I set a key frame for the start point where I want it to start and then end. I then go one frame before the first "start" key frame and make another key frame. I do the same but add another key frame one frame after the "end" key frame. This gives me my strobe/blink duration. I then goto the last key frame and advance as many frames to set a key frame for the duration I want the effect off. This leaves me with five key frames on the alpha. I then select the 2nd and 3rd key frame and drag them down to 0 from 255. This makes the clip transparent between key frame 2 and 3 and normal at frame 1, 4 & 5. You now have the same exact effect that the blink plug-in is doing only for a one time blink. You now have to select all 5 key frame and hold CTRL+C to copy these key frames. Staying in the control tree, move the time line to the last key frame (number 5). Now right mouse and choose paste at time line. You now have to select all again, copy, advance time line and paste and you keep doing the select and copy which starts to makes a lot more key frame exponentially every time you repeat this process. Once you get to the point you want the effect to stop (you most likely will pass it) stop or delete any key frames that passed the stop point.
    Yeah it sucks but if you did the same thing on a long clip, you can save this to a preset using the tool shed and call it Blink 4ON_3OFF. Now you can re-use it. I like to create a preset that is very long with this square wave key frame. I then save it as a preset with a name that is easy to know what it will do like the example I gave. I then just cut the clip where I want the effect to start and end. I then select this clip and apply the preset to it. Does not matter that the preset goes on for 300 plus frames because I cut to give me a new clip just for the duration I want, the preset will only apply to this portion only.

I would love and I've asked for this for years, a spline plug-in that has parameters of max and min value (important because some things have a value like 255 to 0 like alpha and other have a value of 0 to 360, etc. The next value would be positive value duration and negative value duration. The last would be something like repeat to repeat the entire length of the clip or start and end time code from the clip.

Anyway, good luck and let us know what you end up doing. Bobs effect does a strobe and is pretty easy to use.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Filters

I very much agree that SE is the fastest for basic cutting, but I feel that they have had that covered for a while.
    We need some fine touch tools like they have in FC at this point.
    Everyday I see a new filter set or plugin for FC that I would love to see in SE.

We need filters- I would pay for a decent set
    We need the DVE's updated to HD...You guys created Lightwave and we are still waiting for this?

Jose thanks so much for the tip. I will give it a try

Bob's Plugin is not a light strobe effect...It is a video strobe effect, not the same thing .

Your welcome but you should also want a clip based plug-in and not an effect or at least not the way SpeedEdit does effects. Effects in SE are placed under the clip on the time line to work. This sometimes is not what you would want especially if the clip has another clip overlayed on it. If you have not used any of the effects in SE already, you should do so to understand how they function in a time line.
    Me I want them to be plug-ins and I want them to be in the control tree like the splines tool I have been wanting for a long time now.

Anyway, I use the key frame capabilities in SpeedEdit a lot and I love it's power but like you, would love some plug-ins

Good luck,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

I have used the filters in SE and I will take what I can get at this point..If it easier for Newtek to make a drop in filter like it is now I can deal.
    I use Boris Continuum Complete 6 a lot in After Effects
    http://www.borisfx.com/after_effects/bccae/
    Most of the filters that I use the only control I need really is to fade the effect in and out
    For the Blink I would just want to drop it in and strength it over the section of the audio in the video where I need it to blink. I just need a Blink time slider control to increase or decrease the speed

Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Got it, thanks. I'll have to give this a little thought.
    Hi Steve,
    Did you have any thoughts on having filters like this one in SE to help polish up an edit?
    ~Rich

Really, my initial thought returns to me - that it might be possible to do something of this sort as some sort of DVE, or maybe several of them for flexibility. Otherwise, maybe simply an overlay. (Neither of these would be exactly the same thing, but I'm not really a filter guru.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by joseburgos View Post
    I would love and I've asked for this for years, a spline plug-in that has parameters of max and min value (important because some things have a value like 255 to 0 like alpha and other have a value of 0 to 360, etc. The next value would be positive value duration and negative value duration. The last would be something like repeat to repeat the entire length of the clip or start and end time code from the clip.
    oh man... a LFO for the spline editor? :o!
    that would seriously be the most amazing feature ever!
    tho, id like to expand it to allow for an ADSR envelope as well.
    have you made any posts requesting this? did newtek ever say anything?
    Last edited by Snu; 03-17-2010 at 01:31 AM.

The next step would be to have MIDI information capable of controlling selective parameters of the clips. Then it would be a short hop to add real time controllers and use speed edit as a VJ interface.

Quote Originally Posted by Snu View Post
    oh man... a LFO for the spline editor? !
    that would seriously be the most amazing feature ever!
    tho, id like to expand it to allow for an ADSR envelope as well.
    have you made any posts requesting this? did newtek ever say anything?
    Not 100% sure but this may be the first time in the NewTek forum not including via private email (which I also did and other forums);
    http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpos...3&postcount=16

So after no bites from NewTek, I was given programmers to reach out too to make it myself. No programmers took on the job even with me offering to pay for the work

Take care,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Town Hall

Might be a cool idea for Newtek to use its streaming tek and have a live chat town hall kind of meeting about the future of SE before NAB.

Jose,
    Just coming back to review some of the SE feature request.
    I still remembered you pass the idea of spline editor to me long times ago. Unfourtunely, this feature can only be added by NewTek. There is no entry points for 3rd party to add anything in the control-tree/spline controls of clips.
    However, strobe and blink should be possible with SE-PluginSDK.
    =============
    Chen Pan

[email protected]
    =============

I understand and thanks for the info Chen. Shame NewTek does not allow more interaction with the Spline editor. The blink/strobe effect would be cool and I could see it being used in different manners.

Take care and thanks again Chen,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12