Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Datalink for vt5

One more thing, the Datalink/LiveText installation was on Win XP - sp3.

Consultant
    Are you guys experiencing the same problem with LiveSet 2?
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    NewTek Certification Testing Center
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

TriCaster: All Models
    Cameras: Sony HDC-P1, X300

My opinion, uncensored. The blog at www.sandyaudiovisual.com.

I have spent my time attempting to setup the Datalink files to this point. I have not run LiveText 2 or Datalink 2 with the VT5 yet. That will come later this week as I get things setup properly.

What I am attempting to do is have a twitter account feed that is put into a mysql. That is then accessed and fed via Datalink and Livetext to the VT5. It is running as an iVGA program, but the scrolling part makes it look terrible on the output. LiveText should take care of the quality side.

I have now successfully gotten a XML feed to store to disk and will attempt to read that with LiveText. More to come later this week.

@ Torsten: I have written a PHP file that will access the MYSQL Database and dynamically update a text file. That automatically changes the LiveText. To this point I have been unsuccessful in getting the ODBC/MySQL Database to produce any keys that can be implemented into LiveText.

Would that be of any help to you?

Just for the record: LiveText/Datalink could not be recognized by VT5.3 when Win XP SP3 was installed. With WinXP SP2 installed, everything works fine.

LiveText is running on a WinXP SP3, just not the VT5.3 - that is on WinXP SP2.

Hello Keith,

We have a MySQL server running on the host, but actually we've not been able to get the link to DL via XML to work either. Our product functions at the moment by generating a simple txt file with the tokens representing the contents of the database. We are still hoping to get the database lookup working, but for the time being we have choosen to concentrate on fixing an issue with international characters. The Datalink plugin doesn't seem to recognize characters above (7'th bit) in the ASCII byte. This masking out the special characters for our countries that reside higher in the ASCII chain. You will probably also need to be able to display characters like: '' '' in your system. Any thoughts on this? ..

Best regards
    Torsten
    www.ledconstruction.dk - www.froestrups.dk - Building digital signage solutions and producing content.

Technical Support
    I would enter that as a bug or a feature request.
    Donny Oropeza
    NewTek Technical Support
    210-341-8444 (8:30 AM to 6:30 PM C)
    (Monday - Friday)(10:00 AM to 2 PM C)(Sat-Sun)
    NewTek Customer Service
    1-800-862-7837 (9:30 AM to 5:30 PM C)(M-F)

Torsten, we do not have any problem exporting the umlauts - - for presentation in the LiveText/Datalink presentation. Let me get this right - you are able to export them from the database to the text file? In the text file it appears proper?

But then you attempt to import that via Datalink and the character is ignored? Is that right?

Can you send us an example of the letter you mean? Is there an ALT-3 digit number that we can use to access those characters?

Torsten, LiveText properly displayed danish characters in my test yesterday: was used in a scrolled text and a live environment. All characters tested worked properly for me.

One thing that I did set up on my mysql database and php feed was set the language for German characters. Until I did that, I was unable to get proper results.

Ascii

Hello again Keith.

The textfile is, when opened with standard Notepad, displaying the right characters. But when datalink references the textfile in the VT, the "illegal" characters are all rendered out as a box graphic symbol.
    We are wondering if it might make a difference if we get the lookup to the database running. So we don't need to produce the textfile with the strings. I must admit we tried alot to get DL to talk directly to the Mysql database. But no luck. Maybe you could post a copy of your setup file for DL.. ?

Thanks in advance
    Torsten
    www.ledconstruction.dk - www.froestrups.dk - Building digital signage solutions and producing content.

By the way Keith...

Which software were you using? .. Livetext?

We run DL and VT 5.2 ..

Best regards
    Torsten

Torsten,

We are running LiveText 2.0, which includes the DL as a package. I don't know the version on the DL in that install. The LiveText runs on a Windows XP SP3 platform.

We run VT 5.3. The platform is Windows XP SP2. Under SP3 we could not get things to communicate with each other.

By the way, which font are you using in display?

I have to be out of the office today, but I will get back to you on the setup files.

Torsten,

could you send me you textfile - I will place it in my LiveText subdirectory and see what it produces on my side.

Just so that we are on the same page - LiveText will not communicate with MySQL at present. Newtek support indicated that they recognize this problem, but have not offered a solution to present.

What we do is use a php script to write to a MySQL database. That script gathers data from the internet and records it to the database, then it takes the database records and writes them to a text file in the LiveText subdirectory.

On the computer running LiveText, we have multiple programs running - Apache, MySQL, a php running locally in a Internet Explorer, and LiveText. The LiveText accesses the textfile, but we store the data in a local MySQL database. That connects via the network to the VT5 5.3.
    Last edited by Keith Gandy; 08-05-2010 at 11:31 PM.

Hey Keith,

I'll send you a copy of the txt file that the DL-VT5.2 reads when the chars fail to display properly. The thing is that we've been forced to install the hardware, and all, at the stadium now, so the developing efficiency has suffered severely.

I'll ship you the file as soon as possible.

Thanks for taking the time.

Torsten

Glad to be of help, Torsten.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12