Thread: Would love a post-only HD "liveset" capability

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    From Browser To Broadcast jmmultex's Avatar

Would love a post-only HD "liveset" capability

I do mostly corporate greenscreen work, and have been using the VT5 for SD level live productions - I love it. For any 'non-live' business, I end up using Final Cut Studio because the keyer that comes with SpeedEdit is sub-par, and I can use Motion based backdrops that let me easily do things like swap slides or play video in virtual monitors. (Most of my productions are product & training videos targeted for iTunes or web delivery in either 480p or 720p)

Most of the work I'm seeing recently is for non-live, HD based productions that are virtual set based. While I could continue using Final Cut/Motion for this, it isn't really optimized for the type of virtual set production I can do easily on my VT or with a TriCaster. What I'd like to have is a way to shoot the talent first, then move the footage into an HD capable "liveset" like environment for post. This environment would let me key in the talent, position and scale it, then control the camera in each clip the same way I could with a liveset. Ideally, I could even do some of this keyframing in real time as the clips play back - pick camera views, smooth zoom in and out, apply DSK's etc. - even if the final quality files would need to be rendered later. I know I could do most of this with an XD300, but it is hard to justify cost wise if most of my business isn't live HD.

Not sure if this could be a SpeedEdit based tool or a software only XD300-lite, but I think this could be a really efficient and compelling way to post HD virtual set based productions.

Thanks...

John Mahoney
    Digital Podium/The Digital Edge Blog

Hi Jmmultex,

I and many others completely agree with you on this...as well as wishing that the XD series technology be rolled into a post solution having:

a) native 64 bit support
    b) High Color Bit depth - float
    c) the new DVE and scaling engines
    d) Slow mo
    e) Transition, DVE creation toolsets
    f) Liveset creation toolsets

Along with several other needed features.

Cheers,
    Ray Adams
    FX and Production Supervisor

From Browser To Broadcast jmmultex's Avatar
    Ray,

Thanks for replying. Glad to hear others have an interest is a product/capability like this.

I know Newtek has a lot on their plate, but maybe one day...

-john

Hi John,

Yeah this is something I hope that NT is looking at...

They have their LIVE solution...but we also need a POST solution.

along with intergration with other workflows
    Drop me an email if you wish.
    [email protected]

Cheers,
    Ray Adams
    FX and Production Supervisor

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    What Ray said

That said, if you owned After Effects (or Fusion or Nuke but AE is a lot less money) for Windows, I could make you a virtual set that would work in AE that comes close to what you are asking for John. It would have the ability to have more than one virtual video monitor, shadows, reflections, scaling etc. and be in HD resolution. Render times would not be that high as well. The technique I would use is called UV pass and allows for mapping of a image file to a set parameter. Like the screen on a video monitor or the video plane where the actor/host is. It also places the reflections as well. Shadows would be done using AE's lights for a more realistic look. Very little AE knowledge would be needed to make changes to the set as well as change animation or add animation.
    I think I'll work on a demo tomorrow to show you how easy it is to use. If you are interested, write me an email.

Take care,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster