Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first painting with my wacom (WIP)

Thats not a bad start.
    One thing I would suggest especially for the background is experiment with texture brushes.
    When you make a brush stroke with your pen pressure set to opacity you will create a mid range of that colour, then all you need do is press alt for the dropper and pick a different value right there where you are painting.
    Trevor Smith
    Gallery

Now with 42% more Pope! liquidpope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    I don't understand what's going on in those timelapses. How are they switching brush sizes and colors so quickly (is it editing?) But I'm a total noob when it comes to painting in PS so maybe I just don't understand a good process.
    Hey Steve, that's looking really good so far.
    (how'd you get so good so dang fast?)
    In Photoshop, you can make brush size go up or down with the [ and ] keys.
    I've got my wacom pen side button thingy (sorry for the technical jargon) set to ALT key, which is the eye dropper tool in PS.
    So it's very quick to pick a color or change brush size.
    Check out this thread http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=107217 for some great info, and the whole rest of the site is awesome as well.
    Ron Jeremy is NOT my dad!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys. Here's an update. It's not great but considering this is my first digital painting, I'm pretty happy with it. I clearly have no understanding of a good methodology when painting. I thought I'd crank this out and go from there. Going to look at some different tutorials and see if I can get to know the methods a bit better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jack1.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	541.9 KB 
ID:	82739  

Yeah that's a pretty good underpainting and I don't mean anything bad about that. Check out some of nagel's texture brush series so that your brush strokes don't all feel the same.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pho...o_Download.htm

Probably just as important is to really play with the "color temperature transitions" from one color blend into the next. Both texture and color temp makes thing more dimensional in appearance. Light to dark Value and anlogous temperatures by themselves look too flat and boring imo.

A third tip is that photos don't always show the right colors to use, most photos are very flat and unappealing imo. It takes some real observation of reality with your own eyes to truly understand what makes an image appealing.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12