View Poll Results: Should NewTek take over the development of LWO support in Unity?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

104 81.25%
  • No

13 10.16%
  • Meh

11 8.59%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Native LWO support in Unity

Native LWO support in Unity

Guys, we need some help.

As you might know, Rommany Allen has been working on a solution to natively read LWO, LWS and MOT files in Unity. The foundation is there, but there is this pesky last issue in terms of VMADs (secondary vertex info) that we have some problems in handling in Unity.

To my understanding VMAD is additional VMAP info that the earlier LWO file formats did not have, so its a file format addon. Its LWs way of handling extra vertex map information (discontinous UVs and such),

So far, all the binary data has been read out of the LWO format, its all about what to do with it inside Unity (assigning correct UVs to the right vertex, mesh triangulation and so on). So far I have seen it working on geometry and it also recreates the right color of the materials, but as I said earlier, the VMADs are a showstopper for UVs.

If this problem gets solved we can read any amount of layered UVs (for lightmaps and such).

So our plee to NewTek is that you take over the effort of implementing this plugin for Unity and even distribute it with LightWave. The solution is almost there, its just to give it a nudge over the finish line.

With the recent news of Rob Powers joining NewTek, this should be straight down their alley. Save in LightWave (no export), and see it realtime in Unity, be it for "previz" or actual game development.

So community... make some noise if you want this to happen!

Edit: added some screenies from some Unity scenes I have been working on. Features used: realtime ambient occlusion, directional shadows and fullscreen glow effect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Offshore.png 
Views:	554 
Size:	626.5 KB 
ID:	82383   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Subsea.png 
Views:	464 
Size:	574.2 KB 
ID:	82384  
    Last edited by MentalFish; 02-19-2010 at 06:21 PM.

That looks great! It would have been nice to have a game engine like that with native LW support when we worked on Avatar insteading of dealing with issues of getting LW assets into motionbuilder seamlessly.

I'd say yes UNLESS it takes time away from working on Core and LWHC. BUT I also have to admit, games are kinda of like sunlight and sleep to me, just things I hear about and never experience first hand.
    Tim - aurora - Dunn
    WorkStation: AMD64 2x2.8 Ghz / 8gb RAM / Win7-64bit / NVidia GTX 560 Ti

Laptop: Intel i7 8x2Ghz / 16 Gb Ram / WIn7-64bit / GeForce 540M (8.17.12.6780)

Yes! Been asking for this for a few months on and off. Core can wait
    My last post about lw>unity and where it could be
    http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106357

Yes, yes, yes, please yes!

If the potential is there to make some money and sell some seats then why not?

Screw core!

Screw CORE, we need this now right now and right away. This will sell seats of LW and your tool as well Unity3D!

I am so sick of CORe this core that, core is vaporware as far as I am concerned, and even if it was here right now I wouldn't use it simply on principle alone. ITS NOT LIGHTWAVE!

I want more tools for LIGHTWAVE! KAT DEMANDS LIGHTWAVE TOOLS!

REOOOOW FFFFFFTTT!
    DJ Lithium | KAT! =^..^=

Black Tiger Recordings
    http://www.blacktigerrecordings.com
    Founder and Citizen of Liberty3d.com
    www.liberty3d.com

This would be a big plus for getting LW into places that use Unity.
    Unity runs on a lot of platforms that unity runs on. Newtek could do some kind of cross
    bundle with LW and Unity like theyve done with Vue, DFX, LWCAD etc.

I voted no btw because NewTek will more than likely screw it up. They should just provide you with what you need and implement what you want on their end to make it work. Like a real company working with its suppliers and distribution chain.
    DJ Lithium | KAT! =^..^=

Black Tiger Recordings
    http://www.blacktigerrecordings.com
    Founder and Citizen of Liberty3d.com
    www.liberty3d.com

How Old? Really? Aww Heck colkai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djlithium View Post
    I am so sick of CORe this core that, core is vaporware as far as I am concerned, and even if it was here right now I wouldn't use it simply on principle alone.
    Hmm, methinks Kat is not happy.
    Too old to die young.

Quote Originally Posted by SplineGod View Post
    That looks great! It would have been nice to have a game engine like that with native LW support when we worked on Avatar insteading of dealing with issues of getting LW assets into motionbuilder seamlessly.
    Actually you had. I am using Quest3D & Polytrans combo here with great results.
    Cheers
    Tomek
    GarageFarm.NET
    The Cheapest Render Farm - 10,000 cores and growing!

Quote Originally Posted by Soth View Post
    Actually you had. I am using Quest3D & Polytrans combo here with great results.
    Then it is not native support of LW is it? :-P That said, how is the process of getting a model from LW to Quest through Polytrans?

Quest comes with manual how to use polytrans as a plug-in. Than you save scene in LW and load in Quest3D via polytrans (you are not leaving Quest but got all import options as you would have in polytrans). It is a big timesaver, but it is not magic, you still need to try couple of times before you learn how to do it and I need to split the scene into 2,000,000 poly chunks cos Polytrans/Quest have problem when importing them all at once.

But generally I am more than happy, it just works and it is a big time/hassle saver.
    Cheers
    Tomek
    GarageFarm.NET
    The Cheapest Render Farm - 10,000 cores and growing!

+1

Ever since Unity released a free version .. this is a must have.

Right behind you Petter ..
    Model: MacBook Pro 10.6.4 - 2.66 GHz - 4GB - NVD GF GT 330M
    Render: Win7 64 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8GB

I voted "no", too.I was tempted to vote "yes", but regarding the fact that NT never did stuff like that correctly (Unreal engine, Doom engine...), wasnt able to get proper CC into modeler or even normal mapping realtime preview into Layout, I doubt it would be a good thing to have THEM do it.
    Whats the problem with VMAD ?
    Bye,
    Emmanuel

----------------
    For Hire
    Portfolio
    Graveyard Dogs Indie game dev blog, visit and vote for the best RPG of all time !

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast