View Poll Results: What size is your dream TriCaster ?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TriCaster Form Factor : have your say !

TriCaster Form Factor : have your say !

All,

I wanted to get some opinion on what form factor that people would most like to see in the TriCaster product of your dreams. There are of course a whole bunch of questions that go along with this like "wound option X cost more than option Y ?". For the purpose of this, just ignore all of that and vote for the option that you would like the most, ignoring all other considerations.

A minor note. Options 2 and 3 in the poll would most likely have the video connectors on the front with computer connections on the back. I am going to assume for argument's sake that Option 1 would place all connectors on the back.

If you feel strongly that none of these options seem compelling to you and you would like something different. Feel free to post that in the thread.

Thanks,

Andrew
    Last edited by ACross; 02-08-2010 at 09:26 PM.

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Choice 1 : Briefcase Small Form Factor

Choice 2 : Rackmount Baby!
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Quote Originally Posted by PIZAZZ View Post
    Choice 1 : Briefcase Small Form Factor
    Choice 2 : Rackmount Baby!
    You are fast. You caught the forums between posting the original question and the poll that goes with it. Maybe I should have added an option for a Briefcase form-factor machine ... I'll add a comment about this in the posting.

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Quote Originally Posted by ACross View Post
    You are fast. .
    Guilty as charged.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

In a rackmount version, a 4RU (smaller even, if feasible) chassis would be great. In trucks and transport cases, RU's are at a premium, and even 1 extra RU slot can make a huge difference. (I think the rackmounts for the medium TC cases are 5RU)

Rack Mount and 6 inputs?

Always Learning
    rack mount 8 inputs and of course Jef's "briefcase version"
    Last edited by KWeaver; 02-09-2010 at 05:22 PM.

I've held off voting because there are Pro's and Con's to each.
    We currently have the XD300 in a case with a 3rd party rack mount.
    Having the in/outputs on the front created challenges, but at times have been beneficial.
    I hate not having an opinion since Andrew isn't used to that from me.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

Just thinking out loud, but what about a rackmount form factor with a breakout panel like the VT systems have... that could be "front" or "back" mounted on a rack.

ACross said don;t think about cost right now, so I'm ignoring the fact that this would probably raise the price...

Arrow

I voted for rackmount (like everyone else at this point)...but I really don't want this to expand the overall volume of the unit. Could the XD600 be done in a 2 or 3 RU size (without being excessively deep)?

In the past, we used some equipment that was only 1RU, but was very deep (23"). That required us to get a really large rackmount case, because it wasn't a standard depth. It also added substantially to the shipping charges.

Quote Originally Posted by ZachSchuster View Post
    Just thinking out loud, but what about a rackmount form factor with a breakout panel like the VT systems have... that could be "front" or "back" mounted on a rack.

ACross said don;t think about cost right now, so I'm ignoring the fact that this would probably raise the price...
    I Like the break out option with rack mount!
    Steve Croom, creator of:
    The Sound Doctrine Seminar Series
    It's about Sound, NOT Doctrine!

Angry

What's up with this - the poll is already closed!

I would definitely NOT want it rackmounted!

That is the point of the TC - portable!!

I have my VT[5] in a rackmount case, mounted in a shock-absorbing shipping case. It weighs just under 100 lbs. loaded and I pay extra overweight when shipping it on the plane.

I really look forward to affording a TC so I can CARRY it on the plane!

For me the draw backs of the TC are that it cannot have its hardware updated cheaply like the VT, and you cannot install all your other software on it, so you have to cart another laptop around or something. These two things are huge for me, and very fact that I am considering a TC instead of a VT shows that portability is an even "huger" factor than the two drawbacks mentioned above. (The other plus for the TC is HD switching. My worry with spending 15K for the HD TC is: will it be still viable 10+ years later without hardware upgrades? I have had my VT for about that long, and it would not have been still in use if I couldn't have upgraded hardware about every 3 years.)

So, they ONLY way I would see the TC being rackmounted as a viable option was if users could add hard drives, upgrade memory & mb, and install other software. But this would put you back to the tech support issues of having many different configurations.

Even then I would probably go with portable. Its true I only use a maximum of three cameras. Those who want more inputs are probably the ones assuming that more inputs require rackmounting - thus the lopsided vote.

Quote Originally Posted by kleima View Post
    I don't think you need to be alarmed.

First, this isn't a democracy.

Second, a sampling of 21 is interesting, but hardly constitutes a 'landslide', despite the majority. It does indicate, however, that there may be some interest in a rack-mount form factor, whether as an option for certain models, or perhaps in selected cases (perhaps as dictated by various physical considerations) as the norm.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by kleima View Post
    What's up with this - the poll is already closed!

That is the point of the TC - portable!!

I have my VT[5] in a rackmount case, mounted in a shock-absorbing shipping case. It weighs just under 100 lbs. loaded and I pay extra overweight when shipping it on the plane.

I really look forward to affording a TC so I can CARRY it on the plane!

For me the draw backs of the TC are that it cannot have its hardware updated cheaply like the VT, and you cannot install all your other software on it, so you have to cart another laptop around or something. These two things are huge for me, and very fact that I am considering a TC instead of a VT shows that portability is an even "huger" factor than the two drawbacks mentioned above. (The other plus for the TC is HD switching. My worry with spending 15K for the HD TC is: will it be still viable 10+ years later without hardware upgrades? I have had my VT for about that long, and it would not have been still in use if I couldn't have upgraded hardware about every 3 years.)

So, they ONLY way I would see the TC being rackmounted as a viable option was if users could add hard drives, upgrade memory & mb, and install other software. But this would put you back to the tech support issues of having many different configurations.

Even then I would probably go with portable. Its true I only use a maximum of three cameras. Those who want more inputs are probably the ones assuming that more inputs require rackmounting - thus the lopsided vote.

Kleima,

First of all, my apologies that the poll was closed, I just needed to make it run for a certain period of time, so I chose 7 days. Also, do not worry that we have any intent of changing our current product line, we are simply trying to gauge user interest in other options.

Andrew

Rack mount is great if you don't have to pick up the rack!

We shoot basketball games and usually have to carry all the equipment up a flight or two of stairs (Indiana has lots of huge high school basketball arenas many of which were built before the invention of the elevator evidently). So we break up everything into easy to carry units.

If you do go to rack mount units make the rack ears removable. Only about half the SX-8s we sold ended up being rack mounted.
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC1, NC1 I/O, TC 460, TC Mini 4i, TS 100, TS 4000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast