Thread: Clip disable

Toaster Oven

Clip disable

It would be nice to be able to right click on a clip (or a series of clips) and "disable" them - if its audio you don't hear it, if its video you don't see it. Mkae the clips a shade of grey or run hash marks through them.
    (i know you can create tool shed's to do similar, but disable would be soo much quicker + if you have a clip with audio or video level already adjusted...)

Not that this isn't a good suggestion, but just a tip.

If the clip has both audio and video you can disable either audio or video by right-clicking and choosing to do so or by selecting the clip and unchecking the audio or video tracks in the In/Outs panel in the lower left of the main window.

This leaves the other part enabled, but the audio may not be in your way for example.
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

Toaster Oven
    Yes I'm aware of that but we do lots of multicam editing and if you disable the audio and now want to disable a video clip (perhaps only temporarily) you can't.
    So while hiding the disabled clip does make the timeline tidy, my request would allow turning clips on & off.

Newbie Member
    Hi,

I agree Jeff, it should be a basic function.... enable/disable clips and also
    enable/disable the layer too..

I'm sure NT forgot to integrate this....

Please NT, keep working on this SE, I showed SE many different people and they are really stunning of the power of SE. But when it come to handle, some stuff is too different to FCP or Premiere, and people don't want to think different ... so please integrate this simple functions like
    enable/disable stuff

Greets Tom

Hi Tom,

SE is not a layer based NLE so there is no way to turn off a layer since there isn't one...

It is stacked clip based...

Now with that said there needs to be a simple built in way to disable video/audio so that you can check edits and other things during a session.

Without losing the clip's location or position on the time line...like ghosting it...so you can still see the clip on the timeline without it effecting the timeline...

Now this can be done now...through toolshed...ie: change the opacity of the video or levels of the audio..or both...but this doesn't ghost the clip.

and it isn't as easy as it should...

As per others comments there are other ways to disable a clips or parts...but it removes the clip and it's location from the timeline...something that really isn't helpful IMHO.

If you need help creating these short cuts with toolshed let me know.

There also should be a way through toaster script...but I haven't done that one yet.

Cheers,
    Ray Adams
    FX and Production Supervisor

I'm...perplexed with the beginning of your note, Ray.
    What difference does it make that SE isn't layer based? I see this bandied about as the reasoning for this lacking and it just doesn't follow.
    Most of these requests clearly state the need for muting a clip, a video clip, to be precise.

If toolshed has been made to be a disk-based-you-can-save-em tool and scripts placed out onto the menu or interface type of tool, then it could easily be the answer.

A mute for video is needed. Even if it is just a button that toggles the opacity of said clip on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by UnCommonGrafx View Post
    I'm...perplexed with the beginning of your note, Ray.
    What difference does it make that SE isn't layer based? I see this bandied about as the reasoning for this lacking and it just doesn't follow.
    Most of these requests clearly state the need for muting a clip, a video clip, to be precise.

If toolshed has been made to be a disk-based-you-can-save-em tool and scripts placed out onto the menu or interface type of tool, then it could easily be the answer.

A mute for video is needed. Even if it is just a button that toggles the opacity of said clip on and off.
    Hi Robert,

I agree that a button and more UI implementation to do this would be great...I don't like the way things work now.

As for layers...with other other NLE's you have to keep things in layers...you can then turn on and off layers...SE doesn't work that way...it doesn't lock the user into having to place Clips in layers...they can be anywhere in any organization...which is actually cool. But to disable...it needs to be done per clip rather than per layer. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Last edited by radams; 02-10-2010 at 06:04 AM.
    Ray Adams
    FX and Production Supervisor

I'm...perplexed with the beginning of your note, Ray ... snip ... Most of these requests clearly state the need for muting a clip, a video clip, to be precise.
    To be precise, tomtm also asked about layers.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtm
    ... enable/disable clips and also enable/disable the layer too..

A basic need like this really should be addressed at the clip level I think. But I agree Toolshed effects would be more powerful with easier access. I'd prefer assignable hotkeys, myself (keystroke kind a guy ...)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Newbie Member
    hi,
    i don't understand exactly the argument that se isn't layer based. i mean, if there is a clip (unfortunately under another clip) i can't see the other one, so where the clip lays in se it's a layer for me. so we just need a button wich tells se that everything which lays in this layer should invisible but grayed out in the timeline. or like said, we should be able do this per clip in the timeline. also a lock function in timeline would be "no luxury".

se is not an apple product, so we don' t need to think to much different!

greets tom

yeah, Tom,
    It's not layer-focused but it has layers.
    Still, "design-wise" this concept seems to be foreign/ignored in this context. The concept even seems to be rebuffed as a 'bad one' for some reason.

Steve, correct, I missed that. Ray, I get now from whence you were coming.

A keyboard shortcut would be most desired. That toggle button I mentioned could easily be like the track button: on the ui and with a shortcut.

Toaster Oven
    Perhaps it is better to use the word "track'. When you say to turn off everything in "this layer" you are referring to "that track".
    For better or worse, SE is not a track based editor. If it were, then disabling a "layer/track/line" would be possible.
    Since its not, the best one could hope for would be the ability to highlight a number of clips and then right click & select 'disable" and have SE 'grey' these clips (whether they are video or audio).

RE: lock - I've also asked for this years ago - the ability to "pin" a clip to a specific spot on the timeline as well as link clips together (say when you have multicam and want to keep the audio from slipping out of sync)

On the flip side:

It would be nice to Solo a clip - audio or video. I have a multilayer project that I need replace part of the VO on. When I bring in the updated audio and place it on the bottom of the timeline, I would like to only hear the updated audio without it mixing it with the other audio tracks.

Yes, I know I can double click on the updated clip and hear it buy itself but you don't see it against the video. Plus if you try to edit either the old audio or the new audio you hear them mixed which is cumbersome. I'm with Steve, at least a keystroke to mute the clip would be quicker than several mouse clicks to mute a track. Better yet Solo.

Same goes for a video clip. If I have a move on a still frame that dissolves in from a previous move and out to another. I would love to just Solo that clip and tweak on my move without seeing the incoming or outgoing dissolves.

Right now my workaround is to shorten the clip, remove the fades, tweak the move, then stretch it back to its former length and drag out the fades again.

A Solo function would really speed up workflow.

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wvp View Post
    For better or worse, SE is not a track based editor. If it were, then disabling a "layer/track/line" would be possible.
    I don't see little practical difference between "proper" tracks and what SE offers.
    Imho a disable track is nothing else but:
    Disable the current clips and all other clips that are positioned at the same level.

Cheers,
    Mike

Post ...here, let me shuffle your layers for you

The trouble with layers/tracks in SE is that SE will bounce clips from one layer to another when you slide things on the timeline. Also, when you work in Storyboard mode, say, inserting a fade between two clips in the Storyboard, and then you take a look at the Timeline, you find that SE has moved one of the clips to a lower layer. (Don't ask me why SE moves clips from one layer to another on its own initiative).

So, currently SE is well known to move your clips from one layer to another layer on its own initiative. This makes it tought to keep your clips on the layer you want them to be on, and it also makes layer based operations (e.g., "disable layer") very problematic.

The solution is simple: program SE to no longer bounce clips from one layer to another on its own. If clips hide each other, so be it: let the editor deal with that as he sees best. Give the editor control.

Once SE has been restrained from moving clips from layer to layer spontaneously, then the user should be given the ability to perform Layer Operations, such as "Disable Layer", "Mute Layer" etc. This gives the editor the power to use a layer based scheme if he wants to.

and that is what I would call a significant New Feature, worthy of a full version number increment.

Newbie Member
    :agree:

so at least, we need a Timeline-Modus which reminds us to a
    usual NLE... maybe a button "NLE-Sytle" which would disable the
    whole storyboard thing and enables the basic functions discussed
    before...

Greest Tom