Thread: It's a Snap

It's a Snap

Hi everyone,

Got an annoyance and probably something really basic. I'm using the stretch tool in modeler and it snaps in increments. I tried turning off grid snap in edit/display options/units with no difference. If I don't want the tool to snap is there another place to turn it off?

Richard

Just went through a little exercise with this snapping problem. When I zoom into a collection of points and move them using the move tool I can manipulate them with precision but when using the size tool or the stretch tool they behave like they are in a snap mode even with snap turned off (set to none). Is this a bug? I can't believe that to get precision in resizing a circle of 48 points that I would have to move each point independently. Anybody else run across this?

Richard

On some tools when you zoom really close to edit, the precision isn't increased, so you see this 'jumping' while dragging, it's not snapping, but poor tool design. You can use the numeric panel to enter finer settings. This is a long standing 'annoyance' in LightWave for me.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

maybe if you explain what you are trying to do it's better.
    Anyway, it's what Matt said. In sizing tools for example, the factor will always dictate the changes you will see, so it doesn't matter how zoomed in or out you are. If you really have to use stretch tool , just put the mesh to the closest point you can get, then use a factor value of 99,99 (or even 99,999) to size down or 100,01 (or 100,001) to size it up, until it fits what you want.

Cheers

Hi Guys,

That answers my question fully. I was hoping that I didn't have to resort to numerics for this but... any chance of these tools being refined in the future? I know it's a long shot.

Richard

Ya.. the two scale tools, 'h' and 'shift-h' ( I don't know their names) are always snap based to 1% I think. Uber annoying to me too. I mean.. REALLY annoying. The work around you ask? Say you use Shift-h Size tool, then if you are close to what you want, put in 99.9% or 100.1% then click Apply, like this:

Click.Click.Click.Click.Click.Click.Click.Click.Cl ick.Click.Click.Click.Click.Click.Click.Click.Clic k.Click.Click.Click. until you are happy.

Awesome? Yes totally.

Not.

Chance they will refine in core? Sure, especially if people really ask for it. Chance they will change for 9.6.1? no way. no chance.

Hi 4d,

Just read your response... laughed so hard I had to go change!

Thanks for the responses!

Richard
    you still not saying what you are trying to acomplish

Because for example, if you are trying to stretch an object to fit a particular size it can be, in some extent, easly acomplished with a plugin like 2-2Scale from pictrix
    If you check this video, it's the last tool i try. Only thing is that you need to have points to define the stretch/scale fit.

Cheers
    Last edited by probiner; 02-05-2010 at 04:11 PM.

probiner you just busted 1000 posts.. you LW junkie you.

my first cake...

Hi probiner,

4d has the problem pegged in his postings. The solution he posted is most likely the only work around for the size and stretch tools. Egads! I'm going numeric!!! BTW, congrats on the "Post Buster" award. Didn't even know there was one until now! See, there is still lots to learn about Lightwave!

Richard

I can't live without this one
    http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/ReSize/index.html

by pictrix of coarse

also remember the scale of your objects is very important and how far the mesh are from the origin. Due to technical limitations if you move an object very far from the origin (or if you have two objects, one very small and another very large) most tools won't work as expected
    Intel Core i7-4770 @3.40GHz,GeForce GTX 660 - Ram 8Gb - Win 8.1 64b