Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SE 2.0 dual monitor support? (SE 2.0 crashing)

Have you ever used iVGA on this machine?

Thanks,
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

I missed that last post, forget about iVGA.

I know what happened now and can explain it, the symptoms just didn't clue me in.

Some motherboards have a stupid audio auto detection that checks for anything plugged into the audio jacks.

Since the timing of SE is tied to the more accurate DirectSound clock, if the audio is not fully enabled, it will fail to get timing signals to display a frame at the right time.

Normally this is caught at launch and we display "SE requires a DirectSound audio device" but for some reason, this didn't happen in your case.

It just never occurred to me that you wouldn't get that message.
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

BTW, plugging in the USB headphones gave it another audio device to use, this is why it functioned.
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

John, can you guess at what might have triggered this condition in the first place (since evidently 1.x did not originally have the same issue on this system, and it arose around the time of installing the second monitor)?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

My guess is that about the time he added the monitor, he either unplugged something from the audio jack or unplugged the headphones.

I did change the detection in SE2, but the fact that neither version popped up the dialog is curious. I've never heard of detection problems in SE1.

I never got an answer to what OS it was either unless I missed it.

Vista and Win7 have the "nothing plugged in" but not XP as far as I've heard.

If the USB was the only audio device, it's possible that the driver kept running even though the headphones were not plugged in. In this case, the USB headphones wouldn't be available to send the clock signal back.
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

Besides not ever seeing a post on what OS, this GTX card has like 4 models. Thanks for the posting on the audio John.

Please post the exact GTX model you have and your OS.
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

Digitizing video since 1984
    HyMPG Designer since 1997
    [email protected]

p.s. - GREAT catch, paulrus.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I'm running Windows 7 x64 - and yes, when I added the 2nd monitor I unplugged the USB headset because it was plugged into the side of one of the monitors and was in the way.

Never got a warning at all.
    Learn Japanese @ Japancast.net - CLICK HERE to subscribe in iTunes right now!

That's really good to know.

What brand of headset? On the off chance I can get my hands on one, I'd like to see what that happened.

Thanks for the info, I'm sure this will help someone in the future.
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

It's a Logitech. I don't see a model number on it and I don't have the box anymore.

Thanks,

Paul

This is kind of a case study in bug hunting and the kind of unintentional 'David Copperfield style' misdirection that can be involved. The last thing anyone would think of in connection with a video preview failure is audio, especially when there's a simultaneous diversion (the addition of a second monitor to the setup) to serve as a logical focal point. But in the end, the monitor's involvement was so tangential that few if any would ever conceive of a connection. This is one for the books ...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Toaster Oven
    and a good example of "i didn't do anything" "nothing changed" "all I did was".
    No offense to you paulrus - just pointing out how we (all) think like above...unfortunately we do so many things that its nearly impossible to remember them all.

The real problem is - this is an issue that should never happen. Unplugging a set of USB headphones should not cause a catastrophic failure in an editing system.

I should never make an error when reconciling my chequebook, yet it's happened a few times, and I doubt I'm alone. And that is a lot simpler than debugging the millions of lines of code in an application.

There's plenty of opportunity for unforeseen or new situations. You could beta test with a large group for years without this odd confluence of circumstances arising. The fact that SE has been around for years and it's never arisen before proves that point conclusively. This is why every application you could care to name still has bugs and omissions.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234