Thread: Light Wall - cant get independent procedural textural control over an array of lights

Light Wall - cant get independent procedural textural control over an array of lights

Hello

I'm trying to set up a 'light wall' inside LW. Essentially I have a 2 dimensional array of point lights each set to only display lens flares. I'm trying to drive the intensity of each from a procedural turbulent texture - so as to get variation in each light intensity across time. (I attached the 'Texture Channel' modifier under 'Add modifiers' in the 3rd panel of the graph editor for the lens flare intensity, and animated a turbulent texture's position). It works, as far as simultaneously driving the intensity of each point light in the array.

However, I don't actually want each light to respond simultaneously. Rather, I want a somewhat organic flow of areas of lights in the grid fading in and out in response to a reference to a single 3D procedural turbulent texture. I thought that I could achieve this by ticking the 'World Coordinates' checkbox in the texture panel of each texture associated with each light, and animating each texture identically. However, it makes no difference - in that the lights still all only respond simultaneously.

Of course, I want to do this in a work flow intelligent way. That is - I don't want to actually manually produce different animations of the texture positions for each light. Rather, I want to set a single light up with the correct procedural reference control, and then clone (actually Array Clone) the said light.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thanks in advance

IT doesnt just do that with lights. It also does it on anything else you apply it to. Ive tried to drive other things in a similar way with the same results. Dont know if its a bug or a 'feature'. It might be possible to do this using a node setup.

I have done something similar to this for "landing lights". I might have to do a tutorial on it, its been a really long time since I have rigged something like this.
    DJ Lithium | KAT! =^..^=

Black Tiger Recordings
    http://www.blacktigerrecordings.com
    Founder and Citizen of Liberty3d.com
    www.liberty3d.com

How would it be done with a node setup? Since nodes are not available through that route?

DJ Lithium - a tutorial would be great! Please do let me know if you do indeed produce one. Much thanks.

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SplineGod View Post
    IT doesnt just do that with lights. It also does it on anything else you apply it to. Ive tried to drive other things in a similar way with the same results. Dont know if its a bug or a 'feature'.
    In a way it's a feature - or limitation.
    A channel modifier only knows of its context... which is a single/triple value and time. It has no notion of actually being connected to anything - which implies that is also wouldn't know if it is connected to any item at any position.
    Textures used as a channel modifier are thus always evaluated as if they were at 0,0,0.

One way around it might be a texture motion modifier on null objects in world space (one per light) and a channel modifier on the light that links every light to one of the coordinates of the assigned of the null.
    Certainly not fund to set up though.

Cheers,
    Mike

I believe this is the tutorial
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAiTu7i53W8

This one was very easy. Download the channel node editor and dpkit from Dpont's web page.
    http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/pl...l_Nodes_2.html

And try this scene. By moving the null, you get what you want.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Quote Originally Posted by SplineGod View Post
    I believe this is the tutorial
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAiTu7i53W8
    Nice reference, thanks

I've just watched the video SG, which was very interesting. Thanks.

I'll have a look at your scene first thing tomorrow Dodgy, cheers for that.

A lot of the DP Kit nodes go way over my head unfortunately.

ok, I think the problem I now is that I'm on mac, and the 'channel node editor' - i think referred to as 'Node Channel Filter' is PC only.

Any idea if DP's Node Editors for intel (Windows) only will be available for OSX any time soon?

(I've learnt a lot about what is possible in LW over the last few days looking into this. Watching "The Realbryphi77's Channel' You Tube videos etc. Thanks guys)

Drop Dpont an email and I'm sure it can get converted, I think the rest have been.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Hmm. How about using Noisy Channel with some equation based on "own X position * Y position * Z position? (Don't know expressions, much.)

That would add some level of randomness once you clone and array those lights, right?

We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we cannot have both.
    ─Supreme Court Justice Louis D Brandeis

Actually, I found a way: Using an animated procedurally textured displacement map on an invisible subdivided polygon behind the lightwall, and controlling the Flare Intensity using the Proximity plug in. Then cloning the light. I have to turn off the opengl visibility of most of the lights in the scene editor or the system crashes with some 140 odd lights. But it works!

Thanks indeed all for your help.