Thread: How do you scroll the timeline in motion mixer?

How do you scroll the timeline in motion mixer?

It's possibly the dumbest question I've asked around these parts (and that's going some) but I can't for the life of me see how to scroll motion mixer's timeline.

I have a walking character (does nothing but walk). I'm repeating the animation across 1250 frames. The only way I've found to stretch the 'repeat' motion across all frames was to grab the motion mixer window, shove it to the left of the screen, grab the resize gizmo and stretch it. On a 1920 resolution screen I'm only getting about 360 frames or so, so I've had to stretch to about 4 or 5 times my screen width to set it up.

There has to be an easier way, or is there actually a scroll bar and I have a gfx glitch?

(I've also tried the 'End' and other keys, although those will set the frame point to the end of the animation or run through it, it still won't show it on the screen).
    Brent

Amused
    Experiment holding down the Alt, Shift and/or Ctrl keys while dragging the MM timeline with the cursor. I forget which, but you can scroll the timeline and compress it using those keys, either alone or in combination together.

Thankyou Tom, I'll give it a go. Just downloaded the 9.x manual from registration, it was corrupt, it's just not my day.
    Brent

To interactively scroll the timeline in Motion Mixer hold down Alt, click-hold on the timeline and drag left or right, just like with the regular LightWave timeline.

I wish you could interactively compress and expand though, like in Maestro 2 and Vegas Pro.

Edit: Alt key works in the Graph Editor too, but here it also allows compress and expand (hold down Ctrl and Alt together, and click-hold-drag left or right.)

Thankyou Greenlaw.

I've used the graph editor before, just never touched motion mixer.

I agree with the Vegas way of doing things, that's an excellent mechanism.
    Brent

Yeah, Vegas's timeline navigation is very responsive...maybe too responsive as I find it easy to overshoot the area I want to focus on sometimes. Compared to any other systems I've used, it's very good though.

Having said that, I do like how it works in Graph Editor and wish it was standard throughout LightWave. Maybe we'll see it in Core?