Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 315 of 365

Thread: iPad...3d apps for it ya think?

  1. #301
    obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    13,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Stooch View Post
    there are huge advantages to authoring in flash. something you just cant describe with HTML.
    That goes both ways though, accessibility is a hot topic at the moment, and if you create websites for larger companies a must-have nowadays. How does a screenreader work with Flash?

    Cheers,
    Mike

  2. #302
    Registered User Kuzey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,262
    Haha...Stooch...you got the linking done...cool. But seems it must be a secret feature or something, because that's the first time I've seen it on a flash site.

    One limitation is image size, almost all flash sites that have galleries, use small/medium images...otherwise, it would take too long to load.

    Yes, each to his own and btw...Frames should be against the law.

    What do you think of Flash being buggy on mobile devices...if it's buggy there....then one can presume there are bigger problems in Flash.

    I was hoping for one great fight...rumble in the jungle style, but Adobe failed without even getting in the ring....shame

    Kuzey

  3. #303
    Engineer/Entrepreneur Sekhar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    2,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuzey View Post
    What do you think of Flash being buggy on mobile devices...if it's buggy there....then one can presume there are bigger problems in Flash.

    I was hoping for one great fight...rumble in the jungle style, but Adobe failed without even getting in the ring....shame
    Yeah, Flash will get roughed up because of lack of mobile support - this is a HUGE problem for Flash, probably what will kill it. I'm not talking of just Apple iPhone/iPad. I have an Android phone (MyTouch), and I still can't run Flash in browser. AFAIK there're just a couple of Android phones (like the new N1) that run Flash. And the Google folks on the Android forums aren't committing themselves to supporting Flash.

    So what do you think will happen when people make a technology choices today? I recently found myself advising a local organization to go with a video hosting service with a HTML5 strategy because their videos will not work on mobile devices - something I'd not have done say just two years back.

    Still, your "if it's buggy there....then one can presume there are bigger problems in Flash" is a non sequitur because mobile is a very different beast and it's not a simple port. Flash is very mature on desktops; mobile is just a different beast, and the whole Flash model isn't really the most efficient for mobile anyway - the resources are so low and the heavy stuff has to run native.

  4. #304
    Registered User Kuzey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,262
    I mentioned "bigger problems" because Steve Jobs said something about it crashing Mac computers...which I tend to believe...now, that flash on mobile is not up to scratch. So far, Jobs is way in front in the truth department and Adobe is trying to get it's users to force Apple to implement buggy software.

    Adobe had 3 years to do something since the iPhone/iPod touch hit the market and they still haven't found a solution....that makes me wonder, are they indeed lazy or are the problems bigger then they can cope?

    It would be wise to look towards HTML5...it's an interesting idea, but it's still seems to be far off. I don't know what will happen in the meantime....it's up to Adobe really.

    Kuzey

  5. #305
    Registered User Kuzey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,262
    PS....this just came up, a bug in Flash that crashes all browsers...I tried it with FireFox in XP and it does indeed crash.

    http://www.tuaw.com/2010/02/06/16-mo...o-crash-flash/


    Kuzey

  6. #306
    obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    13,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuzey View Post
    I mentioned "bigger problems" because Steve Jobs said something about it crashing Mac computers...which I tend to believe...
    On the other hand Apple is also responsible for delaying the deliver of Flash fixes to their users. If they ship it as part of their OS, they're responsible.
    One example being the exploits from December 2009 which only got fixed with the last security update by Apple.

    *shrugs*

    Cheers,
    Mike

  7. #307
    obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    13,611
    It doesn't crash Opera...

    Cheers,
    Mike

  8. #308
    Amused
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Keeping Austin weird
    Posts
    1,322
    I'm currently producing a Flash SWF for the webcomic linked in my signature below, but I'm pretty close to switching to a Javascript/CSS slideshow. Does anyone know if the Javascript/CSS slideshows are easier to get to display in mobile devices?

    The main reason I want to switch to Javascript/CSS is because I want to insert a slide near the end with some ad server code in it, and Flash won't do that. But if it runs better on mobile, that would be great too.

  9. #309
    another one for the RIP kindle column:

    http://gizmodo.com/5465323/why-and-h...yline=true&s=i

    it leaves amazon in a very vulnerable position, especially with the recent big profile departures.

    if amazon loses control here... dadada... it's dead.

    jin

  10. #310
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    3,627
    I think the comments section of that same article os quite enlightening...

    One Quote:
    I disagree with the concept of e-ink being defeated. I'm not much of a reader, but my girlfriend has a Kindle, and I'll tell you this much, I could never, ever read on a backlit LCD over a Kindle. Color and flashiness does nothing for me when it comes to reading. For reading long periods of time, comfort is king, not fancy graphics.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

  11. #311
    that's great but if amazon loses publishers because it's trying to exert muscle it doesn't have... it's dead.

    and without the 9.99 price point... it might be dead. compared to ipad.

    some peeps might like the kindle and e-paper. but i'm betting the masses go for the glitz of new and shiny and sexy.

    jin

  12. #312
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuzey View Post
    I mentioned "bigger problems" because Steve Jobs said something about it crashing Mac computers...which I tend to believe...now, that flash on mobile is not up to scratch. So far, Jobs is way in front in the truth department and Adobe is trying to get it's users to force Apple to implement buggy software.



    Kuzey
    mr jobs is ecconomical with the truth...
    blue ray > world of hurt according to him...reality is he want people to buy films on itunes.

    flash > they want control on app delivery so flash is a competitor in that market

    ipad as a reader is a joke....reallly you going to just read after dark and well before dawn?
    Last edited by cresshead; 02-07-2010 at 12:48 AM.
    stee+cat
    real name: steve gilbert
    http://www.cresshead.com/

    Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

  13. #313
    Registered User Kuzey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,262
    Quote Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
    mr jobs is ecconomical with the truth...
    blue ray > world of hurt according to him...reality is he want people to buy films on itunes.

    flash > they want control on app delivery so flash is a competitor in that market

    ipad as a reader is a joke....reallly you going to just read after dark and well before dawn?
    I didn't say he was perfect.

    Blue ray...I would think most people who buy discs will eventually rip them to their hard drive. Want to go on a trip...do you take 15 discs with you or just your laptop/iPod/iPad???

    Can't flash send user information back to the creators...eg it can be a security leak, so yeah...Apple has a right to be cautious and don't forget Flash is extremely buggy and not worth it at the moment.

    iPad is not a joke....I read on my iPod touch each night in the dark. I might not read a bigger device in total darkness, but I can have the lights on in the room at the least. We'll have to see...I'm sure you can dim the brightness which will help .

    I'm surprised you aren't angry at Adobe for the state they're in??

    Kuzey

  14. #314
    Registered User Kuzey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf View Post
    It doesn't crash Opera...

    Cheers,
    Mike
    So it doesn't...hehe

    Kuzey

  15. #315
    Registered User Kuzey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwolf View Post
    On the other hand Apple is also responsible for delaying the deliver of Flash fixes to their users. If they ship it as part of their OS, they're responsible.
    One example being the exploits from December 2009 which only got fixed with the last security update by Apple.

    *shrugs*

    Cheers,
    Mike
    Isn't that like the chicken/egg debate. Yes, if iPhone/iPad had flash and it was buggy, people will blame Apple and not Adobe...which is why it's up to Adobe to do most of the work...if not all of it. I think Flash would have to be the only option for the web....before Apple will even think of shipping it with the OS.

    Kuzey

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •