Thread: Tune your background rendering

Tune your background rendering

In Preferences, there is a section related to BGR (I'll have to type BackGround Rendering a lot, so that's my abbreviation for use in this post)

This is set by default to a very average value so that most people get decent performance, but by adjusting it to your system you can usually do even better and take advantage of the hard earned cash you spent on your editing system.

Make sure your cache path is set to the fastest non-removable drive you have.

I say non-removable because if it gets unplugged while in use, SE is going to crash. Period. Sorry, not much can fix having the drive you're writing to suddenly disappearing.

Having nothing listed (just /) is a magic switch that goes to the users temp directory, probably on the C: drive. This is good for default installations and multiuser systems but may not be best for you.

If you have only one drive, / is just as good as anywhere else.

If you are really picky and have multiple drives, set this to a drive that your video clips are not on. This will allow SE to read from one and write to another. Simultaneously reading and writing slows hard drives down tremendously.

The next two settings are completely dependent on the speed of your system. One is for SD projects, the other for HD projects.

You want to set this so that SE will only background render parts that are too complicated for your system to handle, but does BGR the parts you can't play.

Start a new SD project.
    Set the SD preference to Force Render Only. This effectively disables BGR for this project type.
    Notice that each option in the preference is pretty descriptive about what will and won't be rendered.
    Build up a simple project using clip types that you normally use.
    Make sure that you have an audio track with constant sound. I find music works best.
    Play it back and listen for it to stutter.
    If it does, then your system can't keep up and needs to BGR that section.
    Pick the preference option that only renders when your system can't keep up.

When you're happy with the amount of BGR that is happening, write this down in case you lose it and move on to tuning HD projects.

You may have to go back later and set this lower if real projects aren't being BGR'd enough. Real projects always show things that synthetic tests don't. This is normal.

If you do this carefully, SE should be much better suited to both your editing style and your personal system, seeming both faster during editing and more reliable during playback.
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

Question

In SE 1.x, the Background Rendering cache persisted only for the duration of the session. I.e., once you close SE, the cache is abandoned, and when you re-open SE the next time, it will have to re-BackgroundRender the project.

Is the cache more persistent in SE 2, or does it need to re-BackgroundRender a Project every time SE is opened and closed?

There is no change in this respect. Retaining the cache has been considered, and may make more sense now that large HD's are relatively cheap - but it's not really a trivial issue either. It probably makes even more sense now, though, since HD is upon us in full measure after all these years.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

That is currently unchanged although we have investigated other options.
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

Background rendering

John,

I stumbled across your posting regarding background rendering. Although I'm not through "testing" my system for best results, I have currently played with it enough to tell that this is a super feature and to grad Newtek for this feature.

Sorry to hear about the caching not being saveable. If you do consider adding this feature perhaps making it selectable at project start might be a good idea....or maybe selectable in preferences.

Thanks again

Ron

Q? I am thinking of buying a SSD for my cache path and background rendering , so what size would be good? Or could this be a brain fart,which I must admit I am subject to . LOL
    Thanks
    Ron