Thread: Rendering Black

Newbie Member

Rendering Black

From time to time, SpeedEdit will Render black where there's supposed to be a picture.

It's seem to occur with video filmed on a Canon XL1 (why it matters is beyond me, and captured through Adobe Premiere as an AVI). Video shot on the Canon GL2 and captured through Adobe premiere seems unaffected.

There are two possible problems)

1) The most common problem is that video looks fine in the time line, but when it renders certain parts go black. These tend to be clips from a larger AVI file. It tends to work early on, then start rendering black later in the project. Bare in mind some clips from this file work fine and others do not.

2) The least common, is that the clips will actually go black in the time line. Again other clips from the same file are unaffected. This appears to be a linear problem, (clips early in the project are fine, one later on are not). I can usually fixing this by deleting the black clip, and then "extending" an old clip across the time line until I find the right part.

Sometimes copying the time line into a new project fixes the problem, sometimes I find I need to render everything once, then render the parts that went black separately, then combine the rendered files in a new project and re-render. (basically Render/Export the movie 3 times).
    This takes the "Speed" out of Speededit.

The new feature I'm requesting is that it not do that anymore, or at the very least put a warning on screen that something went wrong. I need to watch every second of everything I export to make sure it doesn't go black, before I give the finished project to the client.

Are you dealing with NTSC or PAL video from that XL1, Andrew? Not that it should matter -- I'm just wondering.

Q1

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quiet1ontheset View Post
    are you dealing with ntsc or pal video from that xl1, andrew? Not that it should matter -- i'm just wondering.
    ntsc.

Newbie Member
    A little follow up. I wanted to post a screenshot of the problem.

http://leamingtondesigns.com/speededit%281%29.PNG

The file in question is "Don Tape (2).AVI"
    As you can see by the video out put, it's fine.
    However some clips from the same file (just to the right) are black. I can delete those clips, and extend the clip on the left, and that solves the problem.
    Last edited by andrewelliott; 01-21-2010 at 06:35 PM.

Newbie Member
    Sorry for the double post,

If I right click & render the individual (black) clip, they render find. The problem exists when I render multiple clips or the entire project.

Possible handlings

This is obviously a bug for some binary reason deep within the code and it is very uncommon (happened to me a while ago, but only once in 6 months), but 3 possible handlings that I know of for this are:

1) First, close Speededit, delete the Background render on your scratch drive (big file with a random filename and .VideoCache File as the extension) then open it up again and try it a second time.

2) Try going to effects, loading in a FORCE RENDER effect, and then stretching it across the bottom of the whole project from beginning to end.

3) Second, select all the clips, copy them and then paste it all into a new project with a different resolution. (I went from an HDV project at 1440x1080 to a 1080i project at 1920x1080).

Newbie Member
    It's happening again. I think it has something do to with the length of the project and/or number of cuts.

(The clips start going black about 10 minutes in to my current video).

I tried all three things suggested as well as deleting the temp files in the "NewTekInfo" folder.

Is there another cache or temp file somewhere on my computer I can try deleting?

I dont think so...

I has happened to me on a one hour program I edit each week many times. It is very random and happens for me when I have more than one layer of video. The last time I edited the program, some of my lower thirds rendered black. I know this because it is proofed before airing. If I close the program, open again, resave as a program avi., then reburn to DVD it works. I also see it in some renders as a complete avi. (to elimante the possibility of 3rd party DVD)
    Tod

Would one or more of you who have experienced this file bug reports, please (directions are in a sticky post at the top of this forum). Thanks.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")