Thread: 2 Leg Bot (fun with Rebel Hill's rig training)

Sinner Saved by Grace Larry_g1s's Avatar

2 Leg Bot (fun with Rebel Hill's rig training)

Hey guys, I'm currently going through Craig's (RebelHill) rigging training and really enjoying it. I wanted to put some of the knowledge to use. I'm only about half way through the training so this rig isn't complete or the best yet, but it was enough to teach me to do this with the rig. I'll be releasing this rig free for non-commercial use when I think it's decently up to par. But in the mean time here is a quick little walk cycle I used to test it out on. The animation isn't polished yet, but just for testing purpose. (set to loop)

When I get the rig ready for download, I'll explain some things I'll have done differently for a particular work flow with in LW.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2legged_bot.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	81243  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Larry Vasquez | Genesis One Studios | company showreel

Someday, I will be a CG animator (student at iAnimate.net).

Both the model and animation are freakin awesome Larry. Great work man.
    Michael Borjon
    www.pixelcollab.com

Thanks Mike. There are still some things that I'd like to get more smooth, it's a bit jittery (particularly on the knees). But as I said, it's more to test the rig. I'm trying to get things set up for a work flow I'm more accustom to using with Jason Ryan's training. It's easier to do in Maya, but I'm getting the rig set up to work in the same manner. I'll hopefully make sense of that rambling when I get the rig where I want it and do a little video tut with it. Thanks again.

Hey hey hey... Pretty good. So ya comin over to the LW side of things in terms of animation? ... lol. Whatcha got there Auto Hip Center or just a standard IK with quick foot?

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    I think its lovely.

re the snappy knees, i think that here maybe its more to do with the curves... left leg goes to full extension, which the right doesnt... also the hip speed changes suddenly after the foot plant, vergin into a double bounce.

But otherwise looks great... everything seems to be behaving itself well in the rig, and the design of the thing is nice and cute.

I also noticed a lil double pivot toe in there, a nice touch.

But Im also very glad to see you trying to adapt what i show of rigging into different ideas, and setups... rather than just copying the rigs I show verbatim... One of the things I wanted to achieve most with the rigging series was give folks all the behind the scenes as much as possible so they would be able to adapt things for their own uses, and with their own ideas, so I hipe thats an aim thats working out well for ya.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by h2oStudios View Post
    Hey hey hey... Pretty good. So ya comin over to the LW side of things in terms of animation?
    ha I love character animation, I'm no hater. I still prefer Maya for CA, it's much smoother in the work grid (I'm hoping Core adapts much the same way). But I'm also a big LW fan, and I think it's very very capable of CA. So what I'm trying to do with the rig is adapt it to the work flow I know.

Quote Originally Posted by h2oStudios View Post
    Whatcha got there Auto Hip Center or just a standard IK with quick foot?
    I'm not really sure, lol. I just know it's using the PLK_IK set up Craig explains in his training.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    I think its lovely.

re the snappy knees, i think that here maybe its more to do with the curves... left leg goes to full extension, which the right doesnt... also the hip speed changes suddenly after the foot plant, vergin into a double bounce.
    Yeah. It's a bit tougher for a cycle. It looks cleaner I think in the actual walk (non-cycle).

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    I also noticed a lil double pivot toe in there, a nice touch.

But Im also very glad to see you trying to adapt what i show of rigging into different ideas, and setups... rather than just copying the rigs I show verbatim... One of the things I wanted to achieve most with the rigging series was give folks all the behind the scenes as much as possible so they would be able to adapt things for their own uses, and with their own ideas, so I hipe thats an aim thats working out well for ya.
    Thanks for the complete on that double pivot. I'm sure it'd be easy for you to set up, but for a rig newbie like me, it was tough trying to think where to set it up in the parent/child scheme of things. But I was glad when I got it. And that was one of the nice things about your training is that you've taught well enough to experiment and adapt. I'm still confused in some areas, but I'll wait to get through the training before I shoot you over some questions or post in your forum.

I think it looks great. But if you look at the "body", it doesn't behave as I think it should. The weight shifting changes direction before the foot hits the ground. May be I'm wrong, but I think the foot should make contact with the ground first.

Quote Originally Posted by nanaboso View Post
    I think it looks great. But if you look at the "body", it doesn't behave as I think it should. The weight shifting changes direction before the foot hits the ground. May be I'm wrong, but I think the foot should make contact with the ground first.
    The weight shift should be hitting even with the foot contact. I'll see about showing and example video. Thanks for the feedback.

Updating the animation in just a bit.
    Last edited by Larry_g1s; 01-20-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Quick update on the animation. The "cycle" one is a cheat. It's the same path animation, but I set the camera to a null and tried to match the null with the character. I think it's pretty seamless. There are still a couple things I've gotta fix on the animation that I'm not happy with, but just a quick update.

Later when I get some other things added to the rig and ready to upload, I'll see about doing a more interesting test animation.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Javis Jones: Night Crew geothefaust's Avatar
    That looks pretty good man, great job!

Good job Larry