Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Congrats to the LW artists that worked on Avatar!

Congrats to the LW artists that worked on Avatar!

Congrats to all the artists that used LightWave on the virtual sets for Avatar. Cool knowing the same software I use was used on movie making history!

...any printscreens/videos?
    Cheers
    Tomek
    GarageFarm.NET
    The Cheapest Render Farm - 10,000 cores and growing!

75-90% of all the Virtual world assets that Cameron used to shoot the film. So basically the Previs created by the Virtual Art Department.
    The assets were designing and created by this team.

I'll see if I can get some of the artists to share more info. I know Rob Powers had a massive hand in all of this and he mentions some of what he did on his site:
    http://www.robpowers.com/

I had a lot of good friends working in that department and it was really fun watching the movie knowing they had a hand in it.

Quote Originally Posted by chunderburger View Post
    what was it used on?

Lightwave was used along with Maya and Motionbuilder to generate the low rez assets /sets so that James Cameron could navigate thru with a virtual camea. This allowed him to have direct input with creating camera motions.
    Many of the shots were actually creatded by our group and the motions on the floating mountains, ships etc were saved exactly as we did the them. Weta basically replaced the low rez objects with higher rez versions. Most of what we did were the environments etc. I did alot of work on jungle sets and especially the floating mountains.
    If you read Robs website the Virtual Art Department was far more then just "previz" because most of the camera moves or animations were kept intact.
    Unfortunately LW was relied upon less and less because of issues with getting LW to work properly with fbx and getting help with that.

Yes please more info with actual screen of lw! I'm in constant battle to defend lightwave here. Lol! Its so hard to buy tools for lw but any tools max people want we buy immediately.

Yes please more info with actual screen of lw!
    Ditto! Would love to see this one. Not doubting it one bit...I just hope more new artist would know that it's not only Maya out there...
    -Ken-
    http://www.kggraphics.com
    Desktop: Core i5 2400 | Windows 10 Pro
    Turbosquid Models

I would have put it everywhere that the previz was LW after its out.
    i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong but lw's claims to the show seem somewhat limited. i.e. power, shultz, nanogator & co had more to do with the work being discussed above (for which congratulations are richly deserved) than lw itself did.

the captured motions of cam and vehicle puppets and performers were NOT captured in lw. according to cinefex, it was motion builder.

"75-90% of all the Virtual world assets that Cameron used to shoot the film."

assets. so that means... modeling and texturing. right?

so lw's only proper claim is that it was used (in part) to model and texture the rt, low res, previz assets.

*cough*

jin
    Last edited by jin choung; 01-13-2010 at 01:42 AM.

I think this is pretty redicculous that you didnt get more help with this considering the size of this project and the exposure from it.
    well, it's mysterious why they didn't hire a full time programmer on their own (considering it's avatar and cameron...).

but as for why autodesk wouldn't... well, frankly, why would they?

"yeah yeah, that's rubbish... have you heard of maya? that's really really great with fbx.... or 3ds max? you like that? say... you know what would be really cool for you guys? this new thing called softimage! it just got good again recently," said the autodesk guy.

jin

Mister NO
    They used lw to create air in avatar. You cant see it, but thats the point right, it so realistic.

Newbie Member
    Remember "300" and all the hype about this film in NT site? If LW was used in AVT, then i guess that the January newsletter of LW would be full of details and presentations about it....

I was wondering what you were doing down under, Larry. Guess that's not all, too, huh?

And Larry, let me take a moment to congratulate you and all the guys working on the film.

Who wouldn't help with the fbx issues? (Asking while all the while knowing...)

Quote Originally Posted by korolev View Post
    Remember "300" and all the hype about this film in NT site? If LW was used in AVT, then i guess that the January newsletter of LW would be full of details and presentations about it....
    Not so easy... All about money and Autodesk..
    http://walen.se my plugins

It would be cool if Newtek did a Lightwave profile on this. Those Newtek marketing people need a new project don't they?
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

Quote Originally Posted by Mister NO View Post
    They used lw to create air in avatar. You cant see it, but thats the point right, it so realistic.
    hahaha. best comment here. as long as you dont manipulate the air vertices, you can interact with air in OGL pretty fast though.
    Last edited by Stooch; 01-13-2010 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SplineGod View Post
    Unfortunately LW was relied upon less and less because of issues with getting LW to work properly with fbx and getting help with that.
    *groan*
    So much water, so few sharks.

"...all men are created equal." -- US Declaration of Independence

Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast