Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: LWCAD for 9.6 in question! - let viktor know!

LWCAD for 9.6 in question! - let viktor know!

howdy,

so according to the last newsletter ( http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/newsletter.php ), viktor let it be known that lwcad 4 which will probably have a lot of kewl stuff like nurbs SURFACES (!!!) and other parametric dealies will "PROBABLY" be coming out for CORE only.

i wrote him saying, "NOOOOOoooooooooo!!!"

especially since according to my take, he probably would have done most of the dev work on LWCAD 4 for 9.6... NOT core... especially since core is such a MOVING TARGET right now. and in fact, LWCAD 4 will probably be READY for release BEFORE CORE IS!!!

so in response, viktor re-iterated what he said in the newsletter - "probably" for core only.

but he also said that if enough people let him know they want it for modeler 9.6, he'd take that into consideration.

so if you want LWCAD 4 for 9.6, let him know! even if you are going core, core will probably be pretty rocky to begin with so wouldn't it be nice to have a solid work environment while core gets its legs?

so here's your chance. speak now or forever hold your peace.

if you want core for lw legacy, say so below and i will link him to this thread!

jin

p.s. errrr, if it wasn't clear from the above, here's me saying "i want LWCAD 4 for lw 9.6!!!"

above the ecuator, then, on the right, but not too much
    i'm core member and have lwcad too.

i must admit that i'm really happy that lwcad will be immediately available for core. but, ...
    ... but, since LW 9.6 is going to be in my assets for sure in next 2 or 3 years, i see no reason why i should not be able to use lwcad 4 in lw 9.6, if software architecture permits that. does it !?!

for me; it is clearly-shiny-obvious that lwcad 4 is written for lw 9.6. so why not all lightwavers could not use it? (!?!?!!)
    to be fair i'm trying myself to not think "unfair reasons" .......

victor, here it is mine; lwcad 4 should be there for lw 9.6 users.

Will 9.6 architecture allow not only good NURBS implementation but also the kind of modeling he's planning for version 4(i.e. the Houdini road generator example)? I'm glad to see Viktor throwing his support behind CORE. I'd rather see him put all his efforts there instead of splitting his time making a version for 9.6 also.

I think that Victor is one guy. Awesome guy but one. And day have only 24 hours. And developing for CORE should be faster (according to NewTek and few developers that spoke about SDK on HC forums). I want to say clearly that I want LW CAD for CORE and CORE only. We have CAD for LW classic, now CORE is the future and all affords should be put in the future.

Second argument is that CORE 1.0 in 95% will be modelling application, so I guess will do the job, why we should pay for extending functionality of redundant tool?

EDIT: CORE with LW CAD may atttract users of other application more easly so yes all effords in developing one tool please, not two.
    Last edited by Soth; 01-12-2010 at 02:07 PM.
    Cheers
    Tomek
    GarageFarm.NET
    The Cheapest Render Farm - 10,000 cores and growing!

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Will 9.6 architecture allow not only good NURBS implementation but also the kind of modeling he's planning for version 4(i.e. the Houdini road generator example)? I'm glad to see Viktor throwing his support behind CORE. I'd rather see him put all his efforts there instead of splitting his time making a version for 9.6 also.
    from the screenshots in the article, it seems like ALL the work he has done so far for LWCAD 4 has been done in 9.6.

and 'planning on' is distinct from already done....

so again, if lwcad4 is gonna be ready before core is, yeah... i'd rather have it for 9.6 with whatever "limitations" that presents than not. and yes, NURBS SURFACES is well well well worth it to get lwcad 4 for that ALONE!

besides, how split can he be right now when core is still not even out of the oven. it's a moving target. are you really going to do the most of your work on a moving target? if anything, the mass of core development for lwcad4 will be simple PORTING.

anyhoo, if enough of us say we want it and the money proposition works out for him, maybe he'll consider it worthwhile. hence his "probably". this thread is to get the names that will move him away from "probably".

jin
    Last edited by jin choung; 01-12-2010 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soth View Post
    CORE 1.0 in 95% will be modelling application
    thank you.

see... now why is it like pulling teeth with newtek to get them to this level of frankness.

anyhoo, that lack of frankness and that state of software for version 1.0 is precisely the reason why i'm not CORE and won't be until it's a full cg app.

jin

Sinner Saved by Grace Larry_g1s's Avatar
    After speaking with Viktor he said the Core SDK is like heaven compared to the present architecture. He seemed very excited about LWCAD in Core. And it's in my opinion that devs. like this and G. from Kray will help quickly make Core replace v9.x

I thnk it's great to see such an admired programmer as Viktor already looking ahead to Core and excited about the possibilities.
    Larry Vasquez | Genesis One Studios | company showreel

Someday, I will be a CG animator (student at iAnimate.net).

I think that Victor is one guy.
    personally, i think he's 3 or 4 guys. maybe as many as 10. a woman or two as well.

jin

Quote Originally Posted by Larry_g1s View Post
    After speaking with Viktor he said the Core SDK is like heaven compared to the present architecture. He seemed very excited about LWCAD in Core. And it's in my opinion that devs. like this and G. from Kray will help quickly make Core replace v9.x

I thnk it's great to see such an admired programmer as Viktor already looking ahead to Core and excited about the possibilities.
    lol...

geez... what are you, like running for office or something?

are we having a press conference?

jin

above the ecuator, then, on the right, but not too much
    ... why we should pay for extending functionality of redundant tool?
    can you explain this better for me, please?

LWCAD 4 for 9.6 please! I wont be moving over to core for a good while yet...

Sinner Saved by Grace Larry_g1s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jin choung View Post
    lol...

geez... what are you, like running for office or something?

are we having a press conference?

jin
    Don't shot the messenger just cause you don't like the news. I'm just telling you what he said. But of course that doesn't surprise me that the facts won't change your mind.
    Larry Vasquez | Genesis One Studios | company showreel

Someday, I will be a CG animator (student at iAnimate.net).

Not disagreeing with your intent here Jin. I do believe that support for 9.6 is critical until CORE can have the appeal for the rest of you lot who are still on the fence. But for me personally, I'm ready to see what Viktor can do with a true node based modern architecture. It gives me chills honestly.

Don't shot the messenger just cause you don't like the news.
    i believe it's clear in my post - it's not the news. it's your presentation. i have a tendency to dislike folks who indulge in politico-like non-speech.

jin

After speaking with Viktor he said the Core SDK is like heaven compared to the present architecture.
    I've heard other third party developers saying the same thing about CORE SDK, so Viktor is not alone about that. His assesment, and the conclusion to "probably only go CORE for v4", probably goes in line with the scope of the toolset he plans doing as well as having hands on experience with CORE and the SDK. Most likely, it will allow for things to be implemented easier and better.
    Last edited by Cageman; 01-12-2010 at 02:30 PM.
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast