Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stream through Ustream.tv

Ustream -lag time fix?

I have reset the TRICASTER and left overnight.
    I have tried three days in a row. Live, and then from a DDR playback.
    I still get the Stuttering and lag time. (Really is minutes behind)

I have restarted in iso mode, unplugged and I still get the stutter
    I have tested a Ustream direct from my iMac with a camera and no stutter or lag time.

I'll give tricaster restart another shot because I have to fix this by next week for a client.

Any other input would be appreciated.

see it here for a few hours EDT ending 8pm
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/la-conexion-nc

Are you saying your Tricaster is showing the studdering on it's own program output while streaming? Or are you speaking of the stream you see on your second computer where you're looking at ustream?

If the problem is with you ustream.tv/channel/show, try this...
    Go to www.bandwidthplace.com and click "test" on your online computer and see what your internet speed is. The first time I tried to test-stream my TCB, the same thing happened to me. I got studdering and stopping and locking of the stream. Turned out, my internet speed was very slow at the time of day I happened to pick for testing. For some reason it would slow at about the same time each day. I tested the speed the next morning and my speed was over double what the previous day's test computed. I turned on the Tricaster and started streaming. It ran perfectly all day. At about the same time of the problem on the previous day I noticed my stream was locked and off even though the Tricaster was still in stream mode. I tested the Internet speed and it was running slow again. My plan is to move to the next higher speed on my service. I also realize that I have to have a good connection at my client's events for my streaming to work well.

The second computer has a delay or stutter.
    I have tried two different internet connections one for the tricaster one for the Ustream connect and viewing.

I did a speed check and am getting 500+ upload speeds.
    The stream worked fine last week in the same office, same network.

I guess it might be a bog in the network speed. But I think I'm fast enough to get the picture out better than what I'm seeing

If this is a network issue and not FME issue then it makes sense to bump to the next level of speed.
    It seems like a stream from the box issue. It is weird how it will speed up and slow down.
    RIght now I'm pointed at a clock with a second hand but the image is behind on ustream
    Last edited by vdmc; 01-15-2010 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vdmc View Post
    I have reset the TRICASTER and left overnight.
    I have tried three days in a row. Live, and then from a DDR playback.
    I still get the Stuttering and lag time. (Really is minutes behind)

I have restarted in iso mode, unplugged and I still get the stutter
    I have tested a Ustream direct from my iMac with a camera and no stutter or lag time.

I'll give tricaster restart another shot because I have to fix this by next week for a client.

Any other input would be appreciated.

see it here for a few hours EDT ending 8pm
    I missed this at first, but I now read an item that you may not be able to fix, that is "lag time"!

You will always get a lag time when streaming. I have never gotten a stream without a lag time, sometimes more or less, it changes. I guess it is due to the Ustream servers and how busy they are. Think about it, I would hate to be paying that bill!

As for Video stutter and Audio sync, that should be spot-on. When it is not, I feel it's the Tricaster screwing up some how. The audio monitor sounds great and in sync, but the stream is not! Resetting T/C corrects this. Maybe somebody out in T/C land knows the reason.
    OFNADAVE
    Using TriCaster Studio
    Broadcasting 24/7
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ofna-live

As far as lag goes for me...I've had two computers running along with the TCB and on the one that has the ustream console running and looking at it's ustream.tv/channel/show and the same ustream.tv/channel/show on the computer that is not running the ustream console, I've seen the second computer, although lagging, still be ahead of the longer lag time on the computer running the console. All three computers are on the same hub in my office. When also talking to my wife who was tuned into the same show, but who is also on the same internet provider as my studio, I could also hear delay over the phone that was a different factor than my two computers in the office. Don't know why the delay is different on all the computers but the folks watching would probably never know this unless they were watching an event such as a football game that they may have tuned in to the radio broadcast of the same game, ect.

My delay here is somewhere around 3 seconds.

lag time and my router issue

Ok, so of course the TC works right. It was my network router causing issues. My network speek was fine. All of my speed tests had 600+ upload speed so it had to be the additional router.

BTW my lag time during my problem was up to 6 or 7 MINUTES with fits and starts to move the time along. I pointed my camera at a clock to see the time drift by. It was weird how the Ustream would speed up and then stall for seconds at a stretch. Truly maddening.

BACKGROUND
    My ethernet cable was too short to reach my router so I daisy chained in another router with a second short cable. The second router was the only thing connected to the TC. It was not locked. (I know, bad public networking practice. ) This worked fine for me for a few months. Last week it quite working correctly and started showing me the stutter on Ustream.

FIX
    I pulled the short cables and the second router out. I connected the TC straight into my network router (that is locked down.) Now the stream displays normal.

Thanks for the hand holding and head knocking.

I now have to invest in a longer ethernet cable so I can put my office back to normal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12