Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: live streaming over 3G

Las Vegas Toaster
    ...and that is what it comes down to... you CAN NOT count on any cell based system for your stream. You have to tell your client that the choice is up to them IF you want to save money and hope that 3g or 4g will work then know that I am still billing you 100% if and when it fails as I have no control over the cell networks... (I would say from my experience cell is around 40% reliable that is using only 1 card)

The other option is Sat based systems which are still not 100% (I would say 85% clouds, storms, dust and a million other things can mess up your Sat link) but the same applies full price.

The only way to reach something like 95% reliable is a hard wire connection
    Brett Beanan

Las Vegas Toaster
    oh one other thing to add most of the time I let my client directly pay for the internet link tab (if we are doing anything other than hard wireed)... that way if there is a problem they are not holding my fees hostage as I am 100% seperate...
    Brett Beanan

Technical Account Manager - Channel Support
    The Clear systems really really don't like when it rains for some reason. We had a custom try to stream using one from SXSW during a rain storm and it caused havoc with a stream due to their Packet error correction.
    Zane Condren
    Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

Quote Originally Posted by bbeanan View Post
    oh one other thing to add most of the time I let my client directly pay for the internet link tab (if we are doing anything other than hard wireed)... that way if there is a problem they are not holding my fees hostage as I am 100% seperate...
    I am curious as to how your customers respond when they realize you are putting the risk on them? How can a laymen customer be sure if the overall system fail is because you didn't handle something technical, "the right way" or if it's really not your fault?

How much do you charge for doing the Live Event (excluding the Internet connection).

Live Streaming is always very vulnerable to a vast variety of many different failure points, such as a brief glitch or hiccup even if briefly, for example an accidentally pulled out cable, or your CDN monetary glitch or a computer encoder momentary glitch and countless other things which can hiccup briefly until you realize what it is and try and fix it.

The customer really has no way to know that it's not your fault and they don't want to know of any excuses. They just want it to work and if it didn't work why should they feel obligated to pay?

I think that if you spelled out all the risks and made the customers feel responsible for all the risk, I am not sure if you will get hired unless it's in the fine print which the customer never reads.

Surgery for example has a lot of risk of failure and even death, same for most meds, but everyone who agrees to go under the knife of a surgeon signs his life away without reading the fine print, which basically says "it was all explained to him (a lie) and that no matter what happens it's never the docs fault. And you even sign (always) that all risks were explained to you when in fact it's never explained only "signed" by you, without any details and explanation of risks because if it was really explained, (even the risks of most common medications, you pick up in every pharmacy), most would run out and run away.
    Last edited by maplewoods; 08-31-2010 at 11:38 AM.

Las Vegas Toaster
    #1 the Risk is always on them just most companies do not tell them that... I spell it out and have NEVER lost a client because of it... actualy the opposite I have gotten more as they say to other client you have to use him he is so honest and does not surgar coat things...

For the most part I do not deal with Laymen customers the webcasts and or broadcasts I do are for major corporations that have their own IT staff and generally they insist on providing the connection.

On the others I tell them flat out that it is a gamble that I have no control over so I will manage the connection provider company but in the end they are our weakest link.

I am often told that I tell the end client way to much...

as for what I charge... I can say more than most (and A LOT more than some)
    Last edited by bbeanan; 08-31-2010 at 12:18 PM.
    Brett Beanan

Las Vegas Toaster
    as for this:
    Live Streaming is always very vulnerable to a vast variety of many different failure points, such as a brief glitch or hiccup even if briefly, for example an accidentally pulled out cable, or your CDN monetary glitch or a computer encoder momentary glitch and countless other things which can hiccup briefly until you realize what it is and try and fix it.

Those problems really do not happen on my gigs all of my cables are locked in or taped or have a back-up in place, all systems including the main camera have battery back-ups, I work super close with the CDNs I use and normally I have one of their staff monitoring our stream the whole time (yep that cost $$$) The encoders I use I test them like crazy before an event to make sure there are no glitches and that I am not pushing them beyond their limits.
    But yes things happen and 99.9% of the time I know something is happening and I have it fixed before anyone knows.
    Brett Beanan

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234