Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: live streaming over 3G

Newbie Member

live streaming over 3G

Hello,

Does anyone know how well you can stream video from a tricaster over a Cell phone tower using either a "stick" or a mifi router?

I'd to like to remote produce and I think it would be a great way to do it.

The big questions are:

a) is 3G stable enough to upstream for a prolonged time

b) is 3G faster then a home connection? (Bell says 21mb but doesn't say what the speed is down).

My experience is that the speed "down" is irrelevant. It's the speed "up" that's most important. 3G is too slow for what we do, but we do use Sprint/Clear's 4G wireless and have have good success. Of course, Clear doesn't have coverage in most cities, but we are only streaming in Atlanta.

Let me also preface by saying that we always stream up to a CDN. We never attempt to stream to our own servers.

I'm sure that Jef can jump in and give you the costs/benefits of satellite better than I, but you will have to make your own decisions about costs vs quality.

3G
    4G:

Newbie Member
    Thanks SportsJunkie,

Yeah, I meant Up speed. I heard iPhones only get like 250KB up on 3G (too slow).

I suppose that Wifi might work, (but that's still pretty slow) and I have to be within 100 ft of a router.

There are sporting events that the local cable companies don't cover because they don't have a connection back the head office. I could cover these things with a Tricaster and a good wireless connection.

In terms of cost, whatever it costs it costs. I'd rather do it right or not do it at all.

I don't think anyone has 4G around here (yet). But perhaps in the next 6 months or so.

Is satellite really fast up?

Just remember, all those people that just showed up to watch the sporting event brought their phones. That speed test you did in an empty stadium on your site visit will be quite different once a sizable crowd shows up and all try to connect to local cell towers.

Small enough event you should be fine. I suggest a cradlepoint router and 2 USB cards from two diff carriers, Sprint and Verizon are typically the best choice, but it varies by area.

Cost? Approx $150 for the router, and $60 a month per card. 3G cards usually have a 5GB limit per month.

Edit: in Canada 3G prices are a different story, and may be expensive.
    Last edited by rally1; 01-04-2010 at 04:33 PM.

Newbie Member
    It's a little bit more expensive ($60 gets you 2GB, $90 gets you 5GB) on Bell (our AT&T).

But they are also a horrible company in every way.

http://mobilebusiness.bell.ca/en/Com..._Page_186.aspx

Wind Mobile has unlimited data for $55 (although they may throttle you after 5GB).

http://shop.windmobile.ca/ProductCat...finiteInternet

Telus is about the same with 5GB costing $85.

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/ON/c...LCq4mblintrnt1

The bigger concern is speed and reliability. Would hockey be watchable over 3G? (it's Canada don't forget).

Newbie Member

Phone Line??

If you have access to a phone line you would better off getting a temporary DSL account. Almost everywhere has a landline and you can probably work out a deal with the phone company to have lines connected when you need them. It will probably be a lot more expensive than 3g but the quality and reliability will be much better. It took my iphone nearly 5 minutes to upload 1.5 minutes of video on an unsaturated cell tower. TV production trucks set up temporary lines all the time to get phone and data access in remote locations. Also, Sat Time is expensive. I don't know what the sat internet guys are charging but my local fixed uplink provider charges about US$450/hour for analog cband broadcasts. Plus, you are going to need SAT uplink equipment.

Also, with sports your bandwidth requirements are going to be higher. Any motion and the blocking will become excessive. I wouldn't want to broadcast hockey under 1mpbs. The puck would probably get lost in the macroblocking if you do.

Good luck!

Newbie Member
    Yeah,

DSL or maybe cable (given it would probably end up on the local cable channel).

I don't think DSL is going to be fast enough.

This is Bell Ultra High Speed Internet:

It's only giving me 0.68 Mb/s

I guess I got a little excited by the figure of 21 Mb on G3 and thought it might be better then DSL.

If satellite costs $450 an hour (I'll have to check for a local provider) then that's okay. I basing the idea of doing this on having a budget and sponsorship.

Andrew:

I assume you are in Toronto or the GTA, if so your could contact Steve Athens at Teleantenna. He operates a small private teleport facility, as well as having two DSNG uplink vans... a Ford E-150 van, and his new Sprinter. Both trucks do digi-KU. He could advise you on costs, capabilities, and other considerations.

Alternately, you could also try TV-2-GO (Patterson Partington)... they also have a new uplink truck.... a hybrid production and uplink truck built on a Gerling "Stallion" platform... This replaces the 22 year old truck built for the '88 Calgary torch relay....

send me a PM if you need phone numbers for the above.

b.

Newbie Member
    I'm actually in the Leamington / Windsor area (about 45 minutes outside of Detriot mi).

But I'll keep those names in mind. They might have contacts down here. We're about 4 hours from Toronto so it's a not a huge deal to go up there from time to time.

Technical Account Manager - Channel Support
    If you really want to go the 3G route really the only way possible would be with multiple cards from multiple providers bonded together with something like this device http://www.mushroomnetworks.com/prod...roduct_id=1003 Leo Laporte is going to be using one of theses for all of his CES Streaming this coming week.

I think the best most reliable option is a Todocast Rig http://todocast.tv/ they have the IP Sat uplink and the CDN Platform to host the Web Streaming. I think you can get a 3 Hour window for $250.
    Zane Condren
    Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

Quote Originally Posted by Zane Condren View Post
    If you really want to go the 3G route really the only way possible would be with multiple cards from multiple providers bonded together with something like this device http://www.mushroomnetworks.com/prod...roduct_id=1003 Leo Laporte is going to be using one of theses for all of his CES Streaming this coming week.
    We use the Mushroom Networks Portabella 141 for some of our broadcasts. It allows you to use up to 4 USB cell cards. It does achieve it's best performance when you use cards from multiple vendors.

We've had mixed results with it. There was at least one event when there was about a 30 minute delay from what the Tricaster was outputting to what the viewers were seeing.

A 30 min delay? Any idea why that event had issues?

In general, are you confident enough to continue using the portabella on billable work?

I love the idea of not using satellite, but have not felt comfortable relying on shared public infrastructure.

Joe
    Blaze Streaming Media
    www.blazestreaming.com

Regards,
    Alan

tested clearwire

I don't know if this is off topic, but FYI

I had a tech guy let me use his clearwire usb connection and I was able to stream to USTREAM.
    I was amazed it worked.
    It was a short maybe 5 minute test.

Cheers!

We did an event in Puerto Rico where the hardwire internet connection went out. We were able to stream the rest of the week using my AT&T broadband card connected to the Tricaster via USB. It worked fine. Make sure you have unlimited data, though

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast