Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Isn't it about time we abandoned Christmas?

Isn't it about time we abandoned Christmas?

I think/say this every year as the weather warms here just as the Christmas imagery of snow and reindeers appears sometime in October in shopping malls... silly in any case because the tawdry story originated in the deserts of the middle east?

So, a big "Bah! Humbug" to you all

I think we already have haven't we??

I'd like to hear, as part of the carol service on Christmas Eve in our cathedral, an intro about how the early Christian church hijacked earlier still 'pagan' festivals, but removed the debauchery etc as they saw fit, and so on.

Historically, it's a farce, iconically it's a con, commercially it's a nightmare, but actually, I like it for reasons that it's just the end of the year, and things wind down and everyone seems to take as much holiday as they can get away with, and, well, just power down. I'd miss it alot if it was actually abandoned, but what I miss now is Christmas as I remember it back in the day ..... but then that's just an age thing and I don't have kids, so there's no big surprise there.

Christmas in Australia? Well, I always wondered about that whole thing, being from up north and naturally acclimatised to Christmas being cold and damp, if not frosty and snowy (which it rarely is these days).

Without getting all tree-huggy and limp-wristed over it, I find I have more time these days for recognition of the solstice, and perhaps more appreciation of what those pre-Christian people were celebrating.

So, err, yeah, bah humbug I guess

Julian.
    LW 2015.3 Win 10 Pro 64bit

http://www.take27.co.uk

No, never! I am atheist but I would never argue for killing Christmas... and santa, would you kill Santa? You ba*tard!

Yesterday I went for a walk with my wife and we spot group of Muslims taking pictures of each other with camera facing old dirty and generally ugly bank building... I looked around and if they would face every other direction background of the picture would be filled with million colours Christmas lights or even Christmas tree. I know it was silly feeling but I felt so bad for those poor fellas.
    Cheers
    Tomek
    GarageFarm.NET
    The Cheapest Render Farm - 10,000 cores and growing!

Politics & Religion Gents
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by Soth View Post
    No, never! I am atheist but I would never argue for killing Christmas... and santa, would you kill Santa? You ba*tard!

Yesterday I went for a walk with my wife and we spot group of Muslims taking pictures of each other with camera facing old dirty and generally ugly bank building... I looked around and if they would face every other direction background of the picture would be filled with million colours Christmas lights or even Christmas tree. I know it was silly feeling but I felt so bad for those poor fellas.
    And the point is ??. If is go to Mecca at the time of the haj i expect to see thousands of Muslims on a pilgrimage and if i want to take pictures there will be some of that in the picture, i accept and have no problem with that. Live and let live, multi culturalism yes, oppression no

Recently Switzerland had a vote in favour of banning minarets on mosques, im sure we dont want to go that way do we.

Like i said Politics & Religion
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    And the point is ??
    That is the point. I do not know if they feel oppressed, do not like it or they just being silly. There was no point except I wanted to share possibly funny story, but well maybe it was not.

I am similar to those Muslims, it is not my holiday, but on other hand I probably do not share theirs feelings, I like Christmas.

I have no intention to argue, we can talk about Christmas or even religion, for me it will have its dominion in afterlife, if afterlife will last forever which is infinite longer and more important than here arguing it on Earth, makes little sense. We can talk about it, NewTek mods seems do not mind.
    Cheers
    Tomek
    GarageFarm.NET

They might have just bought that old bank building ..... it's a stretch, but .....

..... probably not though.

Julian.
    LW 2015.3 Win 10 Pro 64bit

http://www.take27.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JBT27 View Post
    I
    Christmas in Australia? Well, I always wondered about that whole thing, being from up north and naturally acclimatised to Christmas being cold and damp, if not frosty and snowy (which it rarely is these days).
    It's rather euphemistically referred to as a "bush" Christmas blowflies 'n all. Only god knows how it ever stuck here but generally speaking what a lot of nonsense.

- I think Coca Cola is responsible for Santa to begin with but here instead of Sherry, a glass of Camel piss will do.

That is the point. I do not know if they feel oppressed, do not like it or they just being silly. There was no point except I wanted to share possibly funny story, but well maybe it was not.

I am similar to those Muslims, it is not my holiday, but on other hand I probably do not share theirs feelings, I like Christmas.

I have no intention to argue, we can talk about Christmas or even religion, for me it will have its dominion in afterlife, if afterlife will last forever which is infinite longer and more important than here arguing it on Earth, makes little sense. We can talk about it, NewTek mods seems do not mind.
    No argument here. If they feel oppressed then that's silly, if they don't like it, well sorry but they have to accept it. Christmas is more of a holiday and family get together than a religious thing now.

Im not christian either but this country is founded on a christian belief system for better or worse and that is not likely to change. Many including non christians probably dont want that to change.

If i move to another country i accept their belief systems and way of life, i may not like some aspects of this but i accept it.

If they were tourists, well its only a holiday and they will be leaving, if they live here, they have to put up with it.
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by meshpig View Post
    It's rather euphemistically referred to as a "bush" Christmas blowflies 'n all. Only god knows how it ever stuck here but generally speaking what a lot of nonsense.

- I think Coca Cola is responsible for Santa to begin with but here instead of Sherry, a glass of Camel piss will do.

Yeah like walmart is responsible for Halloween in the UK, never had this as a festival in the UK until walmart brought out asda, now its everywhere pushed allot by asda.

So which do you prefer hot or cold Christmas
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

i want to bring back the sun god, RA as it's pretty cold here right now!

stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

...but, was he at least born from the virgin?
    Cheers
    Tomek
    GarageFarm.NET

...but, was he at least born from the virgin?
    Virgin(g) on the ridiculous
    Dell XPS 15
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar

Yeah like walmart is responsible for Halloween in the UK, never had this as a festival in the UK until walmart brought out asda, now its everywhere pushed allot by asda.
    Really? Although I never did it myself I remember kids trick or treating in the 80's, I remember going to hallowe'en parties as a kid and carving pumpkins to put on the door step. When I lived in Yorkshire it was very popular as was Mischief Night which preceeded Hallowe'en and is also celebrated in other countries. It's a Celtic festival and has been around a lot longer than Walmart...or the US for that matter. It has become more commercial but mostly because people are too bloody lazy to do anything themselves any more...why spend an hour carving a cool pumpkin when you can buy a plastic one that lasts forever?

I like the sentiment behind christmas but I really dislike the 'Christmas' franchise. I also dislike having a birthday at the end of October and people asking me what I want for christmas while I'm opening my birthday present. TBH if people are going to ask me what I want I'd rather that we all just buy our own presents or choose how we spend our money. Last year some of our family decided to cap all presents at £5 which was much more fun and far less stressful when the credit card bill arrived.

So which do you prefer hot or cold Christmas
    Neither hot or cold. Get rid of the damn thing, it's a post industrial nightmare all things considered.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast