Thread: Advanced Camera --Need Help--

Always in the Studio!

Advanced Camera --Need Help--

Hello all,

I'm playing around with the advanced camera and rendering twisted buidlings. Problem is; I'm getting jaggies. Lightwave will only alow me to render one pass so the resolution is not that high. I changed the filter to enhanced high but still only one render pass. How can it be changed to do more than one render pass?

Do you use Adaptive Sampling ? this helps much eliminating jaggies

try something like 0.06 and lower that value until you're satisfied with the result. to find what setting you need without having to render the whole thing, just spot an area where you have the most jagged edge and use 'Limited region' in Camera Properties so it renders only that portion of the image - When you find the right settings, you can then render the whole image. In some cases, you might need to use oversampling the help eliminating the remaining artifacts.

Hope that helps

"enhanced high" is a Classic camera setting, it won't do anything for the advanced cameras. It's that stupid "let's put the camera settings in 2 places" showing up again. Use the Antialiasing field in the camera properties panel, and pretend the render globals "filtering" panel doesn't exist.
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by toby View Post
    "enhanced high" is a Classic camera setting, it won't do anything for the advanced cameras. It's that stupid "let's put the camera settings in 2 places" showing up again. Use the Antialiasing field in the camera properties panel, and pretend the render globals "filtering" panel doesn't exist.
    Actually, there are some thoughts about that one, even though it might be confusing in the beginning, and you may seldom use it.

Simply put, lets say you have 20 cameras in your scene, and while working through them you have a whole bunch of different settings for each camera, and when you finaly decide which setting you want to use on all cameras, you have to manually go through them and adjust them, which is just tiresome. Instead, go through your cameras and just enable Use Global (using the arrow up/down key with Camera properties open makes this a pretty fast thing to achive), and then use Render Globals to set all your cameras at once.

Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Cageman,
    That's the FIRST time that setting has made sense to me! Great explanation of how best to use that functionality.

Of course, that's what 'global' means. I didn't say it was completly non-functional. But last time I tried it, it had bugs.

And really, this is the kind of thing that lscript is for, NT should be spending time making lw more robust, not adding convenience features for one subset of users, especially when it can confuse and cause problems for another subset of users.
    Confirmed -

Well...

I just noticed that you can actually multiselect your cameras and change most properties at once from within the camera properties panel.

Two things that doesn't work when working with multiselection:

1) You can't change the cameratype
    2) You can't change resolution

I just had a look in LW8.5 and the same applies to it, appart from resolution, cameraproperties can be edited in multiselection.

Now... why the hell didn't I notice this before?
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Always in the Studio!
    thanks gents for the help. I've been farting around with this for the last few days using all your suggestions and I'm just not getting the results I want. If i cant get great renders from the advanced camera than its virtually useless to me. Thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    doesn't work when working with multiselection:
    2) You can't change resolution
    that's the one thing I tested before responding, that's why I didn't argue that point

I just asked someone in another post for an 'apply to all selected' script, to cover just this kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sugdenstudio View Post
    thanks gents for the help. I've been farting around with this for the last few days using all your suggestions and I'm just not getting the results I want. If i cant get great renders from the advanced camera than its virtually useless to me. Thanks for the comments.
    You mean you're still getting jaggies?
    Confirmed -

Newbie Member

Classic Camera Rendering

I had this problem too for quite some time, the reason it would only render one pass is because in "render globals", it only effects a 'classic camera'. if your camera is not set to classic, under camera properties (p), the camera will not be effected by render globals. but for specifically the advanced camera, you have to edit anti-aliasing under the camera properties.

Quote Originally Posted by jessestormer View Post
    I had this problem too for quite some time, the reason it would only render one pass is because in "render globals", it only effects a 'classic camera'. if your camera is not set to classic, under camera properties (p), the camera will not be effected by render globals. but for specifically the advanced camera, you have to edit anti-aliasing under the camera properties.
    !
    You're right, I never noticed that. But to clarify, that only pertains to the Filtering, global resolution and motion blur still work with the Perspective / advanced cameras
    Confirmed -