Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ok guys my latest on Vue 8

Yes Clagman,

That was the reason I will be doing it - will give the GI and cloud reflections reasonably accurately and the Front Projected Geometry would probably mostly sort the ground part out (will not resolve hidden face stuff - eg, if you have a post in front of a vehicle, the vehicle would need to reflect the backside of the post - not gonna see it in FP goemetry).

However, I would prefer to just be able to Hide the VUE stuff from camera and render the LW elements that needed reflection with Alpha and then just run an FP Luminous shadow pass for final comp.

VUE 8 is now useable with this process - however, I'd like to see it made a LOT simpler - as it should be.

3DBob
    Phone me for free on

My user ID is tir-3dbob

Professional enemy shill clagman's Avatar
    Hey got a question. I'm trying to work out the compositing part with this technique and I am having a serious problem with shadows. Specifically the problem is if you have shadows of LW render shadows crossing the shadows of Vue renders. Since they are being composites the shadows won't blend properly. So the nightmare is...

You have a deformation animation (like a character) casting a shadow on ecosystem objects which are casting their own shadow. You really can't import the animated character into vue but if you render in LW and try to composite hmmm.

I thought ok in Vue separate the ground color pass from the ecosystems and the shadows so you can blend the LW shadow pass with the Vue shadow pass but the Vue ground color pass includes the shadows so it starts getting a lot more convoluted.

Also if you have a Vue eco object casting shadows on LW objects makes it difficult to composite without a lot of additional work. I suppose the easy answer is to not put Vue ecosystems close to LW objects but lets say for the sake of discussion that you have LW object sitting in/close to Vue forest. Since you cannot do cast shadow only on ecosystem surfaces inside xStream (only in Infinite) you end up rendering a lot of stuff twice in order to get the shadows on the LW objects. Is there a solution that I'm just missing? I wonder if you could write a paragraph or two about your compositing solution.
    Seeing the glass as half empty is being an optimist when the glass is full of urine

I guess it comes down to scene planning - make sure you plan as you say to have VUE objects not affect be affected by LW objs. OR maybe you could export key objects from Vue so that they can be used as shadow casters back in LW for you LW objects.

Ideally EON would allow MDD files so you could put LWOs in VUE for shadow casting and receiving at render time and then overlay the LWO rendered object in LW render pass - comp together with LWO alpha pass. At the moment you could do this by using VUE EXPORT3 to export your LWO animated/deformed objects as an Object sequence - however since VUE py scripts do not allow you to set ALPHA of object sequences on KEYs you have to avoid MB using this method.

3DBob
    Phone me for free on

My user ID is tir-3dbob

if someone missed it.

trying out vue 8 ple and exporting animated objects throu collada works
    http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthr...&highlight=vue

I havenīt had much time to test it more thou..and I had initial problems
    trying to export the scenefile with bones created in layout, might be that I missed saving or something, but creating skelegons in modeler and then
    converting it and then export to works to get animated rigs in to vue 8.

and rigs are reposable.

Michael

Good tip promethus. Would be nice to load a char into Jimmy rig, add a motion or two, say walking over an exported View terrain - then save to LWS - load into LW and send to view via collada. Hey presto - LW char walking over view terrain.

Really need MDD though to transfer cached syflex animated Geometry in a simple way. I really hope they impliment it sometime.

3DBob
    Phone me for free on

My user ID is tir-3dbob

Newbie Member

scales and such

I have been working in various ways since vue 6 - now using 8 and LW 9.6.

I used to use the vueexport plugin for porting geo - which was great, but no longer an option after vue 7.5.

back in 6 the vuesync plugin ported my camera well, but you had to use 10 as your scale.

Because our animation starts in LW, we were porting that camera with the vuesync and globally changing the scale (so things didn't end up way too big in vue) then making landscape and porting back with xstream and exported geometry for including LW object.. works fairly well, though scale is tricky and if you have an animated focal length change it won't bring that back into LW.

Oddly, after doing some tests, it would seem that if you start your scene in LW with xstream, animate, then port your camera - the 50 scale doesn't work and you have to take it back to 10 (as in vue 6)

I generally like to render the vue content out of vue, so still need duplicate geometry in LW for holdout mattes etc. The one great thing about the vueexport plugin was that I could get shadows inside vue for the geometry that would ultimately be rendered out of LW.
    Another handy thing is that Fprime ignores the Vue content, so you can render the LW portion without dismantling your file in any way.

I have no idea why 50 works if just porting a camera, but 10 works if porting a camera generated in an xstream file...

any hints, for getting decent renders of the vue content out of LW?
    I find it just never looks as good as the same thing rendered out of vue...

Hi There,

You can get Vue Export 3 - just ask, it is very cheap also and it helps greatly.

Spend a day with the render settings - have the wrong dials set and a LW render can take an age and look crap - with the right nobs on, then you can get some nice looking stuff. Additionally the heaviest stuff in VUE now is the new spectral cloud system - if you are not careful this adds a stupid amount of time to a render (though this is very tweakable). However, if you are not having mountains intersecting the clouds themselves, then you can render COW even a sequence of moving clouds from view to HDR and then place them as a backgorund image/sequence to illuminate the scene. This way you get lovely skys with kick *** render times.

The issue comes when you have multiple frames and can't render over the network with extreme unless you have a render server and seperately purchased render nodes. This is when rendering in vue with camera locked to allow composit of moving animation with LW renders really helps.

There is still the issue with FOV changes, but I guess it comes down to scene planning.

For those following this thread - here is a downressed animation (WIP). After the sky and tents we rendered in VUE, the scene was constructed thus:-

- Mountains sky on backgorund plate
    - Front projection on Foreground including tents
    - Flags, Depth desaturation, DOF all rendered in FPrime with G2 providing Luminous shadow darkening and Film grain.

This gave stupid fast render times. 300 frames overnight at 1920X1080 25FPS on 1 2.6Ghz Octo core.

P1B4_Tents_s.zip

3DBob
    Phone me for free on

My user ID is tir-3dbob

Newbie Member
    I have the vueexport 3 - I thought He gave up on it at 7.4 - does it work with 8? (I haven't tried it)

I have noticed a significant slow down with clouds in 8 in general.
    I am finding I get better results (taking render times into consideration) with positioning metaclouds instead. I generally can't deal with hours per frame for clouds, and a bunch of metaclouds often do the trick for more complex cloudscapes.

For the most part what I find is just that the vue content renders out of LW with too much light. The vue native render looks great - but the xstream LW render is blown out and "glowy"

I gave up ages ago and just render my vue out of vue and comp back together. Though I would love to know how to get a decent vue terrain render out of LW.

Thinking about going the rendernode route - Assuming I can still use the hyper-view and my bundle of rendercows when I prefer to...

Also, any ideas on if there is a way to store multiple sync files for cameras in one vue file? Or are you limited to 1?
    We had a multi camera/angle set-up with several tracked cameras - they were all sitting in LW - A single enviroment was built and we wanted to bring all the camera in, instead of doing it by loading one at a time - for ease of checking continuity etc...
    But it seems I can have multiple cameras in vue, but only one sync file?

Yep I use somthing close to that. I'm really looking to get that vue plug to transfer objects so I can do the shadow bit. Right now I am rendering out a bit of the vue terrain/Eco in LW to facilitate shadows and the rest of the environment in vue. This let's me animate objects that cast shadows on ecosystem objects (and have shadows cast on them by Eco objects).

Render times are acceptable, but these 5500 Xeons are quite the monsters! I don't seem to be having any problem with the vuesynch plug. Handles zoom/focal length animation fine it seems. I have to set the scale to 32.8 though (strange).
    Seeing the glass as half empty is being an optimist when the glass is full of urine

VE3 works with 8 - use it every day.

3DBob
    Phone me for free on

My user ID is tir-3dbob

Newbie Member
    cool! i feel like a jerk teaches me to not just assume something doesn't work.

mind you I got mine recently

And what I need it for it does.

3DBob
    Phone me for free on

My user ID is tir-3dbob

Vue with projection map

Anybody know how to do a front projection map on the Vue geometry? If I export out of vue the size and position is not the same. Ive tried save transformed with xstream open and that doesnt work either. I just want to strip the vue connection out of the scene and then front map a render I made in Vue. Sorry if there is a well known or obvious answer.

Thanks!

Newbie Member
    There was talk of skylight in here somewhere.. Anyone know if that is the same as Sunsky?

Skylight is a volumetric plugin that creates sky colors based on the "sun" direction(thanks Dennis). I brought it up because it's much cheaper than using volumetric radiosity. Dunno about sunsky but it sounds similar.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast