Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok guys my latest on Vue 8

Professional enemy shill clagman's Avatar

Ok guys my latest on Vue 8

I'm feeling so good about this. I developed a method where you can use Vue xStream and so far at 100% with out having any problems once it is setup.

Ok for dynamic ecosystems to work properly the trick is to have only a single camera per scene. Multiple cameras will make dynamic eco dance around. This is probably due to the dynamic subdivision based on the camera but if there are two cameras I think it gets confused about which one to base the subdiv on so the polygons probably move around. Once you eliminate all but one camera blammo rock solid dyn eco (so far at least heh).

Problem with camera 0 keyframe. It wants to put the camera where it likes on frame 0. If you are animating from frame 1, it should be all good. My personal preference is to create a camera null to control the camera just to make sure that if anything odd happens to the camera keyframes you just delete them since the null is controlling it all. So far it only seems to have a problem with frame 0 though.

With these two things in mind I have been able to animate and render in LW using xStream for the environment with no problems. So far I haven't been able to test for character animation but complex objects are fine.

Issues remaining to work out:

Having a time figuring out how to get the "object flies through cloud" part to work with the gamma setup. So long as the objects do not actually go through the clouds getting a good linear gamma setup is not particularly difficult. Also getting the cameras to match perfectly when going from LW to Vue for comping probably won't happen soon but they are VERY close to the point of where it won't matter for most shots. I have to set my LW camera frame size to 0.798" in order to match up with the Vue camera FoV.

Thats about it guys, I hope all this helps someone out there.
    Seeing the glass as half empty is being an optimist when the glass is full of urine

can you actually open the current LW scene in vue standalone? if i'm using this command i'm always getting an empty scene opened.

thanks for the tips

cheers

markus
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

OSX 10.12.x, macpro 5.1, nvidia gtx 980 ti, LW2015.x / 2018.x, octane 3.x

Yes you should be able to. Of course you are using a different OS than I am so I can't be sure of the problem. That is mainly how I would comp my scenes before
    all this crap started working.
    Seeing the glass as half empty is being an optimist when the glass is full of urine

Quote Originally Posted by clagman View Post
    Yes you should be able to. Of course you are using a different OS than I am so I can't be sure of the problem. That is mainly how I would comp my scenes before
    all this crap started working.
    i'm on win xp64 for this... (mac is still 32 bit only, apparently they are about to release a 64 bit version as well, soon) - and it's a strange issue as it's such a basic function not working. for the rest, also my first impression about this xstream release is that finally it went 'adult'

cheers

markus
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

It works pretty flawlessly here, maybe trash he config file or re install? I am on vista 64 though. I dunno where I got the idea that you were on a mac.

Ya it's the only release that really been able to work with reliably (so far so good anyway) without resorting to comp, which is fine actually. Just takes more time to setup. Vue actually seems to do a good job of importing LW objects so long as you aren't using nodes, so there is always that.

Actually I just thought of somthing. I don't mean to insult you by suggesting somthing this basic but, you do have the "vue camera" animated or setup when you export?
    Last edited by clagman; 11-13-2009 at 05:10 PM.

I'm getting the same result as 3dworks. When I, from within the Vue8xStream plugin, try and open the scene in standalone Vue, I get an empty scene. I'm on Vista 64 by the way. In earlier versions, when opening the scene in Vue it kept everything Vue related I had added in LW, not the LW objects though. I'm a little confused because you talk about comping. Are you using xStream or are you using the sync plugin?

Quote Originally Posted by nanaboso View Post
    I'm getting the same result as 3dworks. When I, from within the Vue8xStream plugin, try and open the scene in standalone Vue, I get an empty scene. I'm on Vista 64 by the way. In earlier versions, when opening the scene in Vue it kept everything Vue related I had added in LW, not the LW objects though. I'm a little confused because you talk about comping. Are you using xStream or are you using the sync plugin?
    btw i tried this also under OSX, same issue. i'm expecting a e-on support ticket to be answered...

cheers

markus
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

Odd. I have no explanation, especially with the Vista OS. Did you guys install the pre release?

I was talking about xstream actually. Comping was something I did when necessary but it seems those days are becoming numbered. When I get to work Monday I will test the open in standalone command to make sure I'm not going crazy.

I had the pre-release installed, now it's the "official one". I just tried it again and found that I was wrong, everything I add inside LW is there when I open stand-alone Vue. However any change made inside of Vue don't pass through to LW. In earlier versions I could paint my ecosystems inside of Vue and when I rendered in LW the items would appear. I can however save the scene from within Vue and then open it from within LW, and everything is dandy. So I'm very happy with this version, I even find that rendering from LW is now faster than before, though not as fast as in Vue.

Quote Originally Posted by nanaboso View Post
    I had the pre-release installed, now it's the "official one". I just tried it again and found that I was wrong, everything I add inside LW is there when I open stand-alone Vue. However any change made inside of Vue don't pass through to LW. In earlier versions I could paint my ecosystems inside of Vue and when I rendered in LW the items would appear. I can however save the scene from within Vue and then open it from within LW, and everything is dandy. So I'm very happy with this version, I even find that rendering from LW is now faster than before, though not as fast as in Vue.
    what build number of vue and LW are you actually using?
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

Yep same here with LW 9.6. I'm glad I wasn't going crazy.

On another note the main reason that Vue renders faster than xstream is that it takes shortcuts with the quality. To obtain similar quality you have to set the AA to systematic, adjust the ray recursion, and get rid of any optimization (final pass, volumetric lights), enable texture AA and filtering. After all that you will have the renderers on close to equal footing. You'll notice very little difference in the speed after that. I think I was down to 12-15% depending...

Also when dealing with clouds and things like that, I find that you dont have to set the atmosphere quality quite as high in xstream because the AA in LW will handle a lot of the noise (like how it handles MC radiosity noise).

Anybody qualify this?

Good to hear Xstreme is finally working as advertised in vue 8. One of the few perks of LW being end of life'd at 9.6.1 its a pretty static target for e-on to hit.

Of course im on Vue 7.4xst waiting for the last build to not be called a beta build.

I was thinking of upgrading to 8 infinite but apparently that is not allowed, i have to buy 8 xstream. So I think I'm waiting for 9. I just use it casually so its not worth the 500$ to go from 7.4 to 8 to me yet.

no news about that xstream 8 issue which makes standalone vue not open the current xstream scene from within layout. after waiting for over one month for an answer of eon tech support i give up. i sent them all details, screenshots etc. about the problem and patiently waited for a new software update. the latest patch does not resolve anything. nada. as it is now, a complete workflow by sending data from layout to vue and back, is impossible. btw., same problem on windows 64 bit and on mac 32 bit.
    Last edited by 3dworks; 12-19-2009 at 03:50 AM.
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

It's peculiar because it works on both workstations here (vista 64). I haven't yet tried to open a scene from LW modify and see if it gets back in, but just opening seems fine. It's no wonder they haven't gotten back since it isn't being reproduced on all computers.

We have UAC disabled completely. I haven't tried this with the latest update so I can't say but it was working.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast