Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tree Burst

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tree Burst

animation-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGZbMJcKLYs

Tree modeled in Maya by Patrick Jänicke. http://www.designsfiction.com/

I did lighting, FX, animation, texturing, and made leaves in FFX Strand Modeler.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TreeBurst_106.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	79231  
    Last edited by Mr Rid; 11-13-2009 at 02:34 AM.
    "O K, so what's the speed of dark?"

Demo reel 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOOixvRhcs4

Just a big WOW for this one! Earth cracking, tree movement/deformation and particle system are both top notch! (And plus, of course, render and lightning are great)

Was Maya use only for modeling or did you use it for that nice particle system too?

All Lightwave for dynamics, particles and sprites (43 emitters). The tree animation is keyframed.
    Last edited by Mr Rid; 11-13-2009 at 04:29 AM.

Demo reel 2017

gorgeous mr.rid!

mlon
    lw_chanlum [free shader and node x32] <HERE!>
    lw_chanlum [advanced node x32, x64, ub and osx] <HERE!>

World's Tallest Dwarf safetyman's Avatar
    Simply outstanding. Great job, man.

nicccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc cccccccccccccccce

Stuff
    cool
    Andrewstopheles

Wow, looks like a lot of work, the result is fantastic!
    Mike

The second video with the dirt not the dust, are those particles with hypervoxles?
    Hi person reading my signature by the time your done reading this you will have realized this is a very stupid signature.

Quote Originally Posted by karlieman View Post
    The second video with the dirt not the dust, are those particles with hypervoxles?
    Sprites... with a patented fake volume processing. One of these days I would like to do a tutorial.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TreeBurst_sprites.gif 
Views:	334 
Size:	663.0 KB 
ID:	79291

BTW, the tree and ground were all rendered in a single pass. This is an example of how I avoid making a bunch of unnecessary layers. When the lighting is done right you shouldnt have to break out a bunch of channel passes. Lighting should be kept simple. Here, there is only an area light at frame right, and a spot light at frame left. No GI. The leaves are just 4-poly, clip-mapped cards with normal displacement.
    Last edited by Mr Rid; 11-14-2009 at 06:56 PM.

Demo reel 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rid View Post
    BTW, the tree and ground were all rendered in a single pass. This is an example of how I avoid making a bunch of unnecessary layers. When the lighting is done right you shouldnt have to break out a bunch of channel passes.
    Not to pee on your parade here, but have you ever used Janus or Passport? Or any system that actually do layer/multipass breakups without having to fiddle with it? I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong, and in this case I wouldn't see a reason to break things up more than what you already have done, but you always manage to make it sound like it is rocket sience and timeconsuming to get these things working smoothly with LightWave regarding breaking scenes up into several layers and/or multipass (as in Spec, Reflection, Shadow etc). Granted, with Out-Of-The-Box LightWave it is... but with Janus and exrTrader...think again...

Today I made use of Janus to render out an Environment, two characters (separate from eachother) and a prop that one of the characters interacted with (the reason was because alot of post-work needed them separate). All of this is in a single scenefile, but with the press of ONE button (after spending 30 tedious seconds to set things up in Janus), I got 4 renderscenes that each rendered out those 4 different elements. Not just that, but in each of these renderscenes all other elements were masking the the main element of the renderscene. . So, no matter in which order these things were put together in the compositing application, all of them masked eachother where they should. 30 seconds of setuptime!

Change something? Well, open the main scene, apply your change and click that button again to update all the renderscenes and just re-init on the farm. With two clicks on the mouse, I could make those 4 layers to output as multichannel exrs containing all the buffers, if that would be necessary. Oh and, I forgot to mention this, but the total rendertime for these 4 layers compared to render all of them in camera was actually lower. That 30 second setuptime in Janus was well covered by the savings on the rendertime.

Just a thought...

Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    Not to pee on your parade here, but have you ever used Janus or Passport? Or any system that actually do layer/multipass breakups without having to fiddle with it? ...

That's all perfectly fine. Go for it.

But when the lighting is done right, I just have no need of extra channels. The extra passes take up more drive space (and it all has to be logged in a database and backed up daily for many shots on a feature), and may unnecessarily clutter the comp and add possibilities for things to go awry. I see many examples of shots getting overcomped by 2D artists who like to fiddle with the elements too much, or who may be less skilled, or who are failing to read or interpret my notes properly, or who I may have no communication with in some cases and they get "creative" with how the elements were intended to be used.

In dailies, the supe or client may not like how a comp is looking but is often difficult to pinpoint the exact problem to fix. Sometimes, 'it just doesn't look right.' In some cases we waste time going thru iterations before I have to sit down with the compositor (whose feathers are probably ruffled at this point) and go over each of my elements they are loading, and exactly how they are interpreting and processing them. Often, a setting somewhere is overlooked. I would much rather give 2D the least elements necessary (key word). Besides minimizing passes, I optimize everything I do in 3D, and is part of why I am often told I seem to do the work of 2 or more artists. Each step added to the assembly line of perhaps hundreds of shots and artists is another chance for things to go wrong.

Myself (when I composite), and an excellent compositor I usually work with, Brad Moylan (who has worked on about 90 movies http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=us do not want to mess with any more elements than necessary. For example, Brad said that when he was compositing on Transformers all the channel passes were available, but that he never once needed them because the beauty passes were already so close to photoreal, they only needed minor processing to integrate. This is also how I prefer to work.

Another thing is that I try to be as certain as possible that any technical problems in comp are not coming from 3D, by carefully pre-comping all my elements to make sure they are ready for comp. This greatly minimizes problems before we are sitting in dailies, wasting everyone's time critiquing a shot that is not where it should be.

The penguins were also rendered in a single RGB pass- http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104101 except for the first shot, the beaks had an isolated alpha because Sas took light so differently than the geometry.
    The squirrels needed only an additional shadow pass- http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104227

I have just learned to keep the process as straightforward as possible. There is enough inherent complication in 3D and VFX as it is.
    Last edited by Mr Rid; 12-02-2009 at 06:07 PM.

Demo reel 2017

Sinner Saved by Grace Larry_g1s's Avatar
    Dag Yo! You do some amazing work. Big props.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rid View Post
    One of these days I would like to do a tutorial.
    ABSOLUTELY. How about one of those days be tomorrow.
    Larry Vasquez | Genesis One Studios | company showreel

Someday, I will be a CG animator (student at iAnimate.net).

Very nice effect! Great work as usual...
    i7930, 12G Ram, 285GTX, 80G intel SSD, Win7 Pro 64. 30" HP LP3065
    X2 4400, 3G RAM, 7800GTX Vista64 Ultimate.
    5 bi-pro (2.0-2.8) 2G Ram XP-ProSP2.
    MacBook Pro 2.4C2D, 4g Ram, 8600GT Leopard 10.6.3

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast