Thread: uncompressed avi vs XDCAMHD vs DVCPROHD

uncompressed avi vs XDCAMHD vs DVCPROHD

I have edited two 60 second videos to be played on the QVC Home Shopping Network in a couple of weeks. The Speededit projects are 1920x1080i 29.97 fps, I rendered them out as uncompressed avi (uyvy), one file is over 8 GB the other over 7 GB. Burned them on dual-layer DVDs and mailed them to QVC.

Today QVC said they cannot open the uncompressed avi files and to send them .mov 1920x1080i files in either XDCAM HD or DVCPro HD at 100 mbps.

Question 1: Why cannot QVC open the uncompressed avi uyvy files? I assume they are on Macs. Is there some codec they can download that will allow their Macs to recognize my uncompressed avi files?

Question 2: How can I render either with Speededit or TMPGEnc or Quicktime Pro for Windows to their desired formats? Either XDCAM HD or DVCPro HD at the 100 mbps? I also have Sony Vegas Pro 9 but I have not delved into it.

Thanks for your suggestions

Paul G
    VIDEOSyncracies

You can DVCPro HD from SE @ 100mps by going into custom then open the C at the end of the codec name. 4min. of DVCPROpal were 1.7gig files. Look in the advance tab and set it for 100mbps 2 pass VBR and 10bit video. I set VeryStrict also, and leave the rest defaults.
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

Digitizing video since 1984
    HyMPG Designer since 1997
    [email protected]

No DVCProHD choice under Render Quicktime (.mov)

Kilo wrote: You can DVCPro HD from SE @ 100mps by going into custom then open the C at the end of the codec name. 4min. of DVCPROpal were 1.7gig files. Look in the advance tab and set it for 100mbps 2 pass VBR and 10bit video. I set VeryStrict also, and leave the rest defaults.

Kilo,

Thanks for the reply but DVCProHD is NOT on my list.

In Speededit 1.55 I open a 1920x1080i60 29.97fps project

then select File - Render - Format - Quicktime (.mov) - Customize - Codec

There are 28 choices from Apple Animation to Sorenson Video Compressor

The closest looking codec is DVCPro50 Video which only rendered 720x480 even when I selected 1920x1080

How did you get DVCProHD on your CODEC list?

Yesterday I bought DVFilm Raylight Encoder for $195 which let me render the 8+GB uncompressed avi file in Sony Vegas 9 out to a 950MB QT (.mov) DVCPROHD but I could not adjust any other attributes such as 100mbps.

Paul Gittelsohn
    [email protected]

QT Pro.
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

I will look into DVCPRO50 and HD 1920x1080i 60fps for you.
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

[email protected]

Nocturnal Crouton Flinger JackJ's Avatar
    Ever find any answers on this? I'm running into the same thing - need to output a DVCPRO HD file (or, ideally, Apple ProRes, but it looks like they've pretty much made that impossible without a Mac).

Does Quicktime Pro let you encode DVCPRO HD? (Or perhaps did it, before the patch a while back changed the way VT uses Quicktime?) I found another thread mentioning using the Raylight Encoder...any comments on how well that plays nice with VT5?

(And, on a possibly related note, we've tried to avoid encoding .movs out of VT because it seems like over half of the flavors come out with a nasty grid overlay, or just play back as solid green on our PCs...although some of those samples that look so bad here have been reported to look fine on a Mac - any tips on getting VT5 to encode .mov correctly or at least play back correctly what it's just encoded? Thanks)
    JackJ

If they haven't got a pony, it isn't a fair.

As mentioned above, download QuickTime Pro. I think it's only $29. This will give you countless more QT options in SpeedEDIT.
    Most everything we do now goes out in some form of QuickTime. We usually render at the highest quality QT, then "Export" to whatever file size they need, i.e. small enough for e-mail proofs.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

Thanks, Ted. Yeah, seems to be the way a lot of things are going. Been leery of doing anything with our Quicktime install since they made the changes that broke SE's easy handling of some of the native camera codecs.

Don't seem to be seeing any new options...maybe have to have Pro installed before SE installs? I take it Quicktime Pro should give an option for DVCPRO HD once it's recognized?
    JackJ

Raylight Encoder in VT5/SE

Tried the Raylight Encoder demo. Got 10 new render options, all just named "Raylight Compressor", with no custom settings available on them. Anyone using this with SpeedEdit or VT5 know how to get it to show up in the list with a more descriptive name of what each option is doing, or the best way to get the specs on them?
    JackJ

Unhappy Not seeing any new Codecs

I bought QT pro and I'm not seeing any new codec's at all. Thoughts to get SE or SE2 to see them?

It is unfortunate but I am starting to run into this same issue as well. If you want to interface with most of the cable people, you have to have a Quicktime workflow established. I have the latest SE2 and Quicktime Pro installed and I have not been able to output to an DVCPro HD as well. I have just picked up a used MacBook Pro laptop and am starting to look at how to convert to the different Quicktime formats that way. It appears as though several of us are making the same mistake, any suggestions?