Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realistic roads - can't figure it out

Eh, what?

Realistic roads - can't figure it out

I can't build my roads from scratch, so I have no UV mapping, no original curves, no nothing; the engineering crew just provides me with some horribly triangulated .3ds (from Archicad) which I then surface and render.
    The problem, as per title, is that I still haven't found a way to add the not-so-subtle surfacing details - you know how high-traffic roads tend to look more discoloured at the edges and in the middle; what with bends and roundabouts, texturing just doesn't cut it. Weight mapping is also a problem, due to the huge difference in point densities - so basically I'm stuck to post processing in photoshop, which can be a real pain.

Does anyone know of a workflow that would make this possible in LW?

ADP.

There is a tool which will allow you to easily uv those roads. Can't recall but I think it has spider in the name...

Quote Originally Posted by alexos View Post
    I can't build my roads from scratch, so I have no UV mapping, no original curves, no nothing; the engineering crew just provides me with some horribly triangulated .3ds (from Archicad) which I then surface and render.
    The problem, as per title, is that I still haven't found a way to add the not-so-subtle surfacing details - you know how high-traffic roads tend to look more discoloured at the edges and in the middle; what with bends and roundabouts, texturing just doesn't cut it. Weight mapping is also a problem, due to the huge difference in point densities - so basically I'm stuck to post processing in photoshop, which can be a real pain.

Does anyone know of a workflow that would make this possible in LW?

ADP.
    You can use a massive planar texture across the whole thing... doesn't need to be high res for the gross discolouration.
    LightWave3D training, assets, news and discussion at www.liberty3d.com
    My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of any other entity, Liberty3D is not officially endorsed by NewTek.

Could you maybe post a screen shot of the of the models, its easier to suggest a a approach to it, knowing the complexity of you mash.

thx.

Eh, what?
    Here's an example. I tried UVSpider (if that's what Robert's referring to) but the resulting UV is, obviously, a mess.

James, that might actually work - I guess I could indeed grab an ortho from the CAD guys, pre-treat it in photoshop and then apply it as planar texture... but I can't help feeling that there should be a way to do this within Lightwave.

ADP.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	road_layout.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	236.8 KB 
ID:	78968  

Quote Originally Posted by alexos View Post
    Here's an example. I tried UVSpider (if that's what Robert's referring to) but the resulting UV is, obviously, a mess.

James, that might actually work - I guess I could indeed grab an ortho from the CAD guys, pre-treat it in photoshop and then apply it as planar texture... but I can't help feeling that there should be a way to do this within Lightwave.

ADP.
    You can always use an Orthocamera and render the model to form the basis of your texture, you can even bake occlusion or whatever into it if you want.
    LightWave3D training, assets, news and discussion at www.liberty3d.com
    My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of any other entity, Liberty3D is not officially endorsed by NewTek.

Go with James' suggestion as that would be the most efficient for that. Make it a big map and limit the colors so that the size isn't eating up a whole bunch of memory.
    A UV for that would be overkill.

You can also play with edgeweights to add some more detail to the map that follows the road, but you may need a bit more geometry (ie- a cut down the middle of the roads.)

This way you can also use some procedurals.
    Model: MacBook Pro 10.6.4 - 2.66 GHz - 4GB - NVD GF GT 330M
    Render: Win7 64 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8GB

You could also experiment with DP's Spine Map... Just create some splines for your roads. Make each one a different surface, and aply a repeating UV map along the lenght of it. You could probably mix up a few different layers for colour and specular effects, using the same coords...

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/pl...l_Nodes_2.html

just saw this btw,...
    http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81318

remember for spline map you have to make additional UV maps for roundabouts/ intersections etc...
    http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/pl...html#SplineMap
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

hmm, double-post...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Eh, what?
    The problem with stuff such as UVRoad is that it presumes (and rightly so) that you have a somewhat regular mesh; sadly, this is not the case, for Archicad's .3DS's are a triangulated nightmare. Having said that, there's a plug-in I didn't know and that might come in handy - thanks!

DP's spline node might just do the trick... I could use LWCAD to create and offset the neeeded curves I think. I'm going to give it a try and if it works, it'll go straight into the "1001 reasons why Denis deserves a monument".

ADP.

I work with some guys that do that a lot, and usually what they do is a huge planar map very nicely painted with details, etc. And it looks really good.
    Intel Core i7-4770 @3.40GHz,GeForce GTX 660 - Ram 8Gb - Win 8.1 64b

The planar map technique can become quite quick if you bake out your map, then blur the result and use it as a selection mask etc. in photoshop .. this way you can get around actually tracing the road curves, but make the model do the work.
    Model: MacBook Pro 10.6.4 - 2.66 GHz - 4GB - NVD GF GT 330M
    Render: Win7 64 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8GB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast