Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's with the Stream or Die?

Quote Originally Posted by KWeaver View Post
    I feel your pain !
    I have had six very upset phone calls as to is this real!!
    One even had a group with investors waiting to see and put down money for 2 "Production bundles!"
    Sadly they are now going to consider other shipping options instead of waiting for "Vaporware!" Their comment!
    Such potential! such a miss!
    Please post a stream schedule or take it down!
    It is causing BIG MISGIVINGS!
    Well, I don't understand why people are so angry...
    I agree that it was a mistake not streaming the show without warning, but let's be serious, I can't imagine that someone would decide to buy an equipment just watching a webcasting...
    Tricaster is one of the best tool available today for streaming and recording and I am sure XD300 will be a new paradign in the webcasting market.
    I am doing an effort to be in New York in November 17th. It won't be easy, as I live in Brazil!!! But if I win the production bundle it will be great!!!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Koinonia View Post
    Well, I don't understand why people are so angry...
    I agree that it was a mistake not streaming the show without warning, but let's be serious, I can't imagine that someone would decide to buy an equipment just watching a webcasting...
    Tricaster is one of the best tool available today for streaming and recording and I am sure XD300 will be a new paradign in the webcasting market.
    I am doing an effort to be in New York in November 17th. It won't be easy, as I live in Brazil!!! But if I win the production bundle it will be great!!!
    Nobody said angry!
    They already have or have used Tricasters and were looking at moving in to the XD300.
    Unfortunately, they are on a time schedule and were willing to hold off, because they had been told and seen the press about the XD300 and the tour.
    They are now going to reconsider other options.

Just one man's opinion, but while it is unfortunate if anyone was inconvenienced, realistically this was the first event in a new series and evidently some info was not disseminated as well as might be. That's about all we can say for sure.

To me, it is reminiscent of the first day of NAB, where frustrating glitches are the norm - for every company. It's hardly a failure of the technology. XD300, along with the rest of the kit, has been shown several times now with very good results. Just yesterday we received rave reviews from Europe, including this remark: "We demoed all day TriCaster XD300 some people came back 3 times on the booth to get additional infos! NO CRASH!". (Keep in mind, that this is a beta product that performed so well.) Basing decisions about a major purchase on a what is basically a small 'failure to communicate' doesn't seem particularly prudent to me, but people are free to do as they please, of course.

I can certainly understand a dealer being frustrated when they had gone to the trouble of publicizing the event, but that said, I'm not really sure that I ever saw an actual statement from NewTek that you could view this event online at such and such a place and time. The assumption that you would be able to do so is not all that unreasonable, but did NewTek really make such specific claims and fail to follow through? In all past streaming events, it was necessary to register first online, and then you were sent information. Confirming that streaming arrangements were in place beforehand might not have been a bad idea (perhaps y'all did this?)

I daresay someone from NewTek with actual knowledge will step in and clear up what was or was not promised, what if anything went wrong, and what the plan is for other events. And I expect this little bump will be taken into account in making those plans. That said, I do think the confusion is regrettable, and have apologized above - but let's keep it in perspective. By all accounts, the event itself was a huge success, and it's really just "Mile 1" of this continent-wide roadshow. There's a lot of mileage in this brilliant promotion, and this feedback will doubtless contribute to making it even better.
    Last edited by SBowie; 10-29-2009 at 06:55 AM.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

As TriCaster can simultaneously stream and archive, NewTek will have an archived version of the event for viewing this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by vicrest View Post
    ....someone sounds pretty foolish. I think YouTube already beat you to streaming 'archived video'.
    Maybe re-read what Paul wrote. After indicating that this particular event wasn't streamed publicly, he says that a) TriCaster can simultaneously stream and archive ( a live event, obviously) and - that being so - b) the archive will be available for online viewing this week (for those who weren't present at the LA event).

He did not state anything about TriCaster being unique in this respect, and there is nothing foolish about what he said. You have to misconstrue it to arrive at that conclusion. It's obvious to anyone that Youtube can stream an archived file. However, since you bring up this comparison, it is clear Youtube does not do item a) ... not that this was the point under discussion in the first place.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    ...I'm not really sure that I ever saw an actual statement from NewTek that you could view this event online at such and such a place and time.
    Here's the schedule of webcasts:
    http://stream.newtek.com/watch.php

...did NewTek really make such specific claims and fail to follow through?
    Yes!

In all past streaming events, it was necessary to register first online, and then you were sent information. Confirming that streaming arrangements were in place beforehand might not have been a bad idea (perhaps y'all did this?)
    Did that, too. Signed up for a new username/password combination. Got the e-mail about it. Tried to view. Told that there was nothing available to view. Denied!

As mentioned earlier, it appears (based on the schedule link above) that there will be absolutely no live webcasts during this entire promotion. As such, why have the satellite dish on the car? I guess it is pure aesthetic? Kind of like shiny rims, or lights on the bottom of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Screen Sam View Post
    [B][B]Did that, too. Signed up for a new username/password combination. Got the e-mail about it.
    Interesting. I saw the webpage, and usually do try to audit these things myself, but didn't have time to do more than just glance at it this time. It does seem as though if a last-minute decision was made not to stream publicly, registrants should have been alerted to avoid disappointment.

That said, I seriously doubt the satellite dish will be just a pretty ornament as the promotion continues. I'm sure someone will be along to explain as the day goes on.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Screen Sam View Post
    Kind of like shiny rims, or lights on the bottom of the car.
    The dish definitely works, I can guarantee that.
    Definitely does NOT work inside a ballroom though.

Regarding lights on the bottom of the car... I held off not putting those on. Seems we had plenty of attention with just the graphic wrap and the Sat dish on top. Really weird driving the mini around... Lots of gawking and pointing. Either that or they never saw someone my size in a mini.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Maybe re-read what Paul wrote. After indicating that this particular event wasn't streamed publicly, he says that a) TriCaster can simultaneously stream and archive ( a live event, obviously) and - that being so - b) the archive will be available for online viewing this week (for those who weren't present at the LA event).

He did not state anything about TriCaster being unique in this respect, and there is nothing foolish about what he said. You have to misconstrue it to arrive at that conclusion. It's obvious to anyone that Youtube can stream an archived file. However, since you bring up this comparison, it is clear Youtube does not do item a) ... not that this was the point under discussion in the first place.
    Are you the official Apologist for Newtek?

Newtek hyped this 'event' about their LIVE TV TOOL.

And they fell way short!

Yes, YouTube does not do item a).....Newtek didn't do a) either!

Are you the official Apologist for Newtek[/B]
    Nope.
    Newtek hyped this 'event' about their LIVE TV TOOL. And they fell way short!
    Allowing that this is true, nevertherless, 'stuff happens' and the sky isn't falling. I have no issue with criticism. The way to handle something like this though, imho, is to raise the question (preferably without a lot of !!!'s, ALLCAPS and over-the-top rhetoric) and wait politely for a response. I've no doubt one wil be forthcoming.

Yes, YouTube does not do item a).....Newtek didn't do a) either!
    True - but it can. You are not me, but I would be very reluctant to accuse Paul Lara of 'sounding pretty foolish'. As I said, it was necessary to misconstrue what he said to make that accusation. There was nothing wrong with what he said. You've got every right to annoyed if you like, but that specific point you were trying to make is simply not valid.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

There was nothing wrong with what he said.
    So, Newtek can announce a 'big event' spend lots of money building a car that they 'say' can stream live, drive it half way across the US to a location that they've announced.....not have a live stream....not announce why they don't have a live stream......not stream an archived recorded copy when they say they're going to.....but only say 'they really just wanted people to show up at the event'.....and YOU see nothing wrong?

NewtekInc Twitter:
    To watch the webcast today at 4 PM CST go to http://stream.newtek.com/todocast.php and register
    30 minutes ago from web

and whats up with registering everytime??!!..

do you want to keep this stuff a secret??..

mlon
    lw_chanlum [free shader and node x32] <HERE!>
    lw_chanlum [advanced node x32, x64, ub and osx] <HERE!>

.....and YOU see nothing wrong?
    You're really stretching the point. I've commented on the decision not to stream publicly, and that's not what you and I are talking about. I referred directly to your statement ("....someone sounds pretty foolish. I think YouTube already beat you to streaming 'archived video'.") I daresay it was just something to say to express your irritation, but that comment doesn't hold water, sorry.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by -EsHrA- View Post
    and whats up with registering everytime??!!.
    I'm sure it's just an effort to gauge interest and facilitate followup, not unusual in that. I think you make an interesting point though.

It would be nice if there was a way to indicate you'd like to be notified (and auto-registered?) for all similar events, so you didn't have to keep re-registering ... or maybe some sort of 'remember my details' quick-registration mechanism for frequent flyers...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

The Los Angeles event is now streaming. Does anyone know how long the clip is? Nothing new yet. No XD300 news or info, yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast