Thread: How do I do that in LW ? (Color Map)

Newbie Member

How do I do that in LW ? (Color Map)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpnyp...eature=related
    See in this video, tha guy paint an color map to draw the shadows

How I do that in LW ? In modeler or layout? what to set up?

thanks

The only tool I have seen like that is Airbrush, which is in Modeler.
    Now if there is a way to use that to define your shadow, I have no idea.

To see the results like in that video would be a Layout function, like VIPER or FPrime.

I woudlnt use that method. You can use the airbrush tool to effect the color of each vertex. The problem is that you need alot of vertices. Use standard texture maps if you want to create shadows that way. You can even bake lighting onto texture maps etc.

Newbie Member
    I'm using Super Cel Shader plugin to coloring.

I must apply the texture map in color or diffuse?
    Do I have to create a black and white map to set the shadows regions?

Thanks!

Newbie Member
    http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8669/h071008au2.jpg

here is the image of the Render Tree of the guy in the video I got it in XSI forum
    Last edited by RFFL; 08-31-2009 at 10:12 AM.

You can apply the image maps in color or diffuse or both.

Newbie Member
    So, how do I know where to place things in my diffuse map? In my case is a human face, How can I know that I am making my diffuse map in the right places?

Where you want things to look darker or lighter use darker or lighter greyscale values in your texture map.

Newbie Member
    Thank you SplineGod and everyone who replied... Ive been trying to learn and handle these surface maps stuff.. only now I'm starting to control it a little bit...

I got the control I wanted over the diffuse and shadow.. now I just need to draw the shadow map to aplly it as a diffuse map. How do I bake the surface as an 2d image, than I can edit it in photoshop?

Thanks

I wouldn't completely discount using vertex maps to control color however. I use them all the time in 3D Max, though I have never tried them in LW.

They are especially useful for controlling transparency on objects, certainly a lot simpler then having to UV map your object and then having to go into PS to create a black and white image to control the transparency. Just a couple of mouse drags to paint where you want it transparent and your done. I use this trick a lot to fade off the edges of tendons and ligaments in medical illustrations, to avoid a harsh edge where they connect to the bone. Anyway, good times.

I agree. I do similar things with weight maps and gradients in LW and it typically works well. Unless the object has a lot of vertices I dont think the color by vertex option would give nice smooth results.
    To bake the surface you need to have a UV map created and then use the surface baking camera.

Newbie Member
    I've tried to bake it but was getting always some glitches and dark polygons.. I gave up and tried the vertex color map now.

I draw the map in 'vertex paint" mode, is all ok.. but I dont know how to put the map to control the shadows and diffuse.. can someone give me a little explanation of how do I apply the vertex color map to the surface to control the shadow?

thanks again

You cant use a vertex color map to control any channels.
    You can use a weight map along with a gradient with the input parameter set to weight
    to control color,diffuse etc. Since this method is based on vertices you need to make sure your model has enough vertices and that they are oriented to take advantage of that method.

I would also check and make sure you have your UV maps setup properly for baking and
    that youve adjusted the UVs after baking the textures to make sure they are in the right place with respect to your texture map. Also you might be able to remove any dark artifacts by editing the final texture map in a paint program.

Newbie Member
    Nice i use texture map in the diffuse but the adding shadow don't move with the light

Any suggestion, or opinion will be great

Newbie Member
    Sorry again... but any other suggestion for shadow control?? because i have this face, i have the idea of use a texture for simule the shadows but in that way the shadows don't move =(