Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chev In Motion

Quote Originally Posted by ken_g9 View Post
    That's some wicked work!!
    Thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by bassmanjam View Post
    Very impressive. I ended up forgetting why I was watching it and just enjoyed it.
    hehe, well thats a good thing. Thanks for the compliment.
    VFX Artist
    Clockwork Visual Effects
    Dubai | South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Consty View Post
    That was pretty awesome!

Though, if I might make two comments, just from an aesthetic view (cos god knows I can't really critique it technically ) - I did think that everything looked a little bit too clean, and there was something about the way the cars moved that didn't quite look 100% realistic to me. Can't put my finger on what though - might be how the wheels were spinning, or the traction on the road...

But these are really minor quibbles. You guys did a really great job there, and it was great fun to watch - well done!
    Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. All comments, even constructive criticism are welcome, its how we learn and grow. The overall clean look was a specific requirement on this job, no grit, no dirt, and clean textures.
    I have to agree with you though, there are some shots, that if we had the time, we'd love to back and tweak the animation, but with the deadline looming, we had to move forward, going back for a do-over wasnt an option.
    Thanks for the comments, always appreciated.
    VFX Artist
    Clockwork Visual Effects
    Dubai | South Africa

Fair enough, I guess when it comes to cars I'm just spoiled by Top Gear . Still, great work though!

Quote Originally Posted by Consty View Post
    Fair enough, I guess when it comes to cars I'm just spoiled by Top Gear . Still, great work though!
    The way Top Gear film their cars is top notch, really quite arty!

The presenting style is becoming a bit of a parody of itself I find though.

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar
    Just finished watching it, great stuff.

On the whole I thought that it was brilliant, especially given the amount of animation work involved and the time it was done in. I particularly liked the cinematography which seemed to adjust to suit each segment of the piece.

I have a few minor crits which are more or less pointless mentioning because of the constraints you were under but here they are...

The car surfaces look far too 'gradienty'...which is a stupid word to use but I'm not sure how else to describe it. The blue ones are the worst culprits which look almost luminous in some shots.

The dark glass surfaces looked too dark and broke the realism making them look like toys in some shots. I can understand the reasons behind it but I'm curious why it was used when you have drivers in the cars?

I can see Chevvy getting a lot of complaints from people breaking their 4x4's by trying to drive through rivers without a snorkle fitted...not your problem but I'm surprised that it got through.

Overall I thought that it was very well done, congrats to all of the team.

BTW...why has the thread been tagged with prn?

It should also be mentioned that retailers, company owners etc. like clean and shiny. A 4x4 in the mud is one thing, but they would most likely want their fleet of cars to be clean and presentable.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by biliousfrog View Post
    Just finished watching it, great stuff.

On the whole I thought that it was brilliant, especially given the amount of animation work involved and the time it was done in. I particularly liked the cinematography which seemed to adjust to suit each segment of the piece.

I have a few minor crits which are more or less pointless mentioning because of the constraints you were under but here they are...

The car surfaces look far too 'gradienty'...which is a stupid word to use but I'm not sure how else to describe it. The blue ones are the worst culprits which look almost luminous in some shots.

The dark glass surfaces looked too dark and broke the realism making them look like toys in some shots. I can understand the reasons behind it but I'm curious why it was used when you have drivers in the cars?

I can see Chevvy getting a lot of complaints from people breaking their 4x4's by trying to drive through rivers without a snorkle fitted...not your problem but I'm surprised that it got through.

Overall I thought that it was very well done, congrats to all of the team.

BTW...why has the thread been tagged with prn?
    Hey there, thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll do my best to address your questions.

I dont think there was a concious decision to make the cars look "gradienty" (I learnt a new word today,hehe :P ) We weren't getting enough blue from the sky showing in the surfaces, so we added an additive gradient to try inject some artificially. For the most part it worked, but in the end, as you noticed, the blue cars didnt appreciate the gradient as much as the others did. I wasnt involved in the comp work, but I suspect that may have been where their fate was sealed.

Dark windows have been something we've always used. In our print campaigns, the client/agency never wanted to see more than a silhouette of the interior, so nothing more than a proxy interior was ever added to the cars. Making the windows more transparent would make this weakness a glaring problem, not to mention the additional character animation across 100 shots, because again, showing a static character would not help the production any. Sacrifices had to be made.

I dont think Chevrolet will be using this to advertise its cars, or uses there of. I cant speak for them, but if anybody is "clever" enough to take their SUV into a windshield deep pool of water, then I guess they deserve whats coming to them I think Chev is selling their brand in this production, not their products. Its not an ad to go buy a specific car, its just a fun, spirited showcase.

Finally, I have no idea what "prn" means, I've searched the forum and FAQ, but came up empty handed.

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    It should also be mentioned that retailers, company owners etc. like clean and shiny. A 4x4 in the mud is one thing, but they would most likely want their fleet of cars to be clean and presentable.
    You're right on the money there, clean, shiny, and hyper real, larger than life. No dirt,grit or grime. The "clean" look needed to be exaggerated on this job.
    VFX Artist
    Clockwork Visual Effects
    Dubai | South Africa

A little off topic, but the soundtrack is incredible, too. Fantastic work.
    ...and what's left over is where butter
    comes from...

Just wondering - did you guys modeled all these cars or used prebuild ?

Great work. A bit long though, I lost interest about 3 minutes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugeny View Post
    Just wondering - did you guys modeled all these cars or used prebuild ?
    12 of the 18 cars were built by hand, the remaining 6 were CAD models.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyjaggy View Post
    Thanks ... and uh ... sorry, I guess?!? We didnt have control over the length of the piece, we just had to fill it with visuals. Pity you lost interest 3 minutes in, think you might have enjoyed the last section.
    VFX Artist
    Clockwork Visual Effects
    Dubai | South Africa

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyjaggy View Post
    I agree that it did seem quite long and the first part didn't quite have the same impact as the rest of it...but...I got the impression that it could easily be split into smaller chunks to 'sell' a particular model, in much the same way as a lot of commercials have a number of edits for cinema, TV, web, 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 45 seconds etc. I'm not sure whether that was the intention but I saw it as a collection of smaller pieces rather than a single one.

Bloody hell-that's an amazing piece!

I wish I had more hands but.........
    portfolio

The Liver is evil and must be punished!

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    12 of the 18 cars were built by hand, the remaining 6 were CAD models.

Thanks ... and uh ... sorry, I guess?!? We didnt have control over the length of the piece, we just had to fill it with visuals. Pity you lost interest 3 minutes in, think you might have enjoyed the last section.
    I know it's not your fault, just saying.

Hey Nigel,
    awesome work as ever! Like the clean look of it all.

I've been following what you guys are doing there for some time now. Amazing, simply amazing.

I hope you'll move soon

Vojislav Milanovic
    Senior CG Artist, Optix Digital Pictures
    Demo Reel
    Behance
    Web folio
    LinkedIn

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast