Thread: Mix Minus management within Tricaster

Mix Minus management within Tricaster

The problem: We want to run a live show using the Tricaster and a mixing board. The Tricaster will be used to queue audio/video elements for the show. Some of these will be top of the show/end of the show pieces that are meant to fade in/out underneath the host as he talks. The problem is that, when the host is talking, and we start to bring up the music from the media in the Tricaster, we begin to hear the host echo back more and more.

What's happening is the hosts audio going into the audio board is feeding into the Tricaster to be recorded and playing out of the Tricasters audio output back into the Tricaster audio channel on the mixer (along with the music bed that I'm bringing up)... resulting in the hosts audio echoing as we swell the music bed louder and louder.

The only way I can tell to remove this echo would be to tell the Tricaster that the host's audio should not play back out of the Tricaster. This would allow the Tricaster to record the host's audio as required, but not pass his audio back through to the Tricaster input on the mixer (that is currently also playing the music bed that needs to be there too).

I have to imagine others have encountered this in live productions. If so, how did you get around this? I can't find any mix-minus or bus settings in the audio controls on our Tricaster Studio.

Thanks
    Jason Howell

You can use the solo function and get just the DDR audio out the headphone jack, while not messing up the mix out for recording, or streaming.

Bob Anderson

TriCaster 860 PortaStudio
    Bob, could you walk through that? When is the headphone out different than the main out and/or what's recording?

It's ALL about the light Paul Lara's Avatar
    I'm not Bob (but I play him on TV).

TriCaster's Solo button will make that the only thing routed to the headphones.
    This helps monitoring a live production input without changing your Main Out.

So now, just patch the headphone outputs as another mixer input, but remember that headphone has its own audio level and there is no visible meter.

Paul
    Don't stream it - TriCast it!

Thanks Paul.

Bob Anderson

TriCaster 860 PortaStudio
    Thanks Paul, I had no idea about that. I use headphones when I'm live, but the RCA outs when editing.