Thread: dvd Files?

dvd Files?

Hi,

WELL.... Not claiming to be be very bright, I deleted ALL the capture footage, images, titles etc. from a project I "Thought" i was done with. Now they want me to ADD some footage to a few spots in that project.

All I have left is the DVD. Not having much luck getting it back into Speededit from the DVD. I open the DVD and have AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS Folders, Audio Folder is Empty. Video Folder has 7 Files in it (video_ts, video_ts.bup, video_ts.ifo, vts_01_0.bup, video_01_0.ifo, vts_01_1, vts_01_2). tried bringing these on TL but some do nothing some cause crash and was able to bring one in but even though showed video and audio on TL there was no Audio.

Any help - suggestions?

Thanks in advance
    Bob S

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    Many programs will rip a DVD to various files, a trick is using one that converts it to something SE will use, or at least use easily.

TMPGENC 4.0 is a fabulous conversion tool that will convert many things to many things but most importantly it will rip a non protected DVD to one of the Newtek codecs after you install the Newtek Codec pack.

DVD Fab Platinum is another DVD ripper that will usually also rip protected movies, but the Newtek codecs do not show up so you have to go to an mpeg4 type which SE will use, but not as efficiently as it's own flavor.

'Sometimes' you can copy the files off of your DVD to your hard drive, change the extension to .mpg and try that on the timeline, but that can get a little clunky.

TMPGENC has a full functional trial period if you want to try that or maybe google 'Free DVD ripper' and see if there is something open source.

I'm sure others have ripper software suggestions also.

I just downloaded a free full version of VLC Player and was able to rip my DVD's with it. The resulting files worked well with SE and DVD Workshop.

hi,

thanks for the quick replys. I do have TMPGENC 4.0 express and can try that. was hoping there was easier/faster way. LOL. Using tmpgenc would i just rip the dvd and then use the mpg2 file on TL? no need the convert it to AVI is there?

I tried remaming file "MPG" and can load on TL ok - but no Audio?

thanks,
    Bob S

-Install Newtek Codec pack

-Put DVD in drive.

-Start tmpgenc, Choose 'Start New Project'

-Click "source Wizard', Choose 'DVD-Video' click Next

-If it doesnt choose it automatically, point the requester to the Video_TS
    folder on the DVD, Click OK

-The next screen will show all the titles on the DVD, select the ones you want to rip

-Next screen you can choose to copy the temp file to your hard drive or work straight off of dvd. Depending on how long your piece is, if you are encoding or doing other work and how fast your machine is as to whether you want to enable that

-After selecting temp file or not, each title will pop up in a clip addition screen. You can then set in and out points for the titles if you dont want the whole title, but this take a long time to access the dvd to set I/O

-Once all your titles are listed inthe Clip bin, click 'FORMAT' at the top.

-Choose 'AVI file output' click 'Select'

-Under Video Codec, choose NewTek SpeedHQ 4:2:0, keep everything else the same

-Click "ENCODE' at top

-Point to where you want the output file and start or throw it in the batch

I think that covers it....

Jim,

Thanks so much for the detailed instructions. not at editing pc now but will try tomorrow...
    thanks again
    bob s

The Ever Curious George Merick1209's Avatar
    I didn't see anything in the original or following post address about using the straight VOB files (which are the same as mpeg, but just a different extention name) from the DVD when you were exploring it. I've been able to use those a few times without any problems.

Also, I don't know what your particular setup is (or how long the DVD is) but as a last ditch effort you could always just use a DVD player & camcorder with firewire to just do a straight Capture if you had to.

Hopefully you won't need anymore input, but just in case...

Good luck!

- George
    Violence is never the answer. Unless the question is "What is never the answer?" ... and then it is.

Quote Originally Posted by rs402931 View Post
    Jim,

Thanks so much for the detailed instructions. not at editing pc now but will try tomorrow...
    thanks again
    bob s
    Another little tip with tmpgenc.. If you need to choose many different in and out points within the title of the DVD for editing, and have the time to spare, copying your entire VIDEO_TS folder off of your DVD on to your hard drive makes the title selection process quicker.

Just point the Wizard requester to the folder on your hard drive. This also removes the need to copy a temp file to the hard drive.

If you are just grabbing the whole disk, or entire titles, and don't need to set I/O points within the titles, just rip straight from DVD.

I helped someone on this board a while ago who deleted or lost a bunch of their files. I would run a program called Get Data Back for FAT&NTFS. Anything that was deleted will be recoverable as long as you didnt fill the drive up with other data that may have possibly overwrote the old files. There is a great chance you will get all of the files back. Keep us posted.