Thread: OFF TOPIC..HD naming Quest.

OFF TOPIC..HD naming Quest.

hi

i have a 500GB western digital "my book" portable drive i use on both main pc and my laptop. many times i use both pc's for same project. seems no matter how i "designate" the drive, either the pc or laptop speed edit looks for it in on a different HD designation. I know i can change desig in speededit spreadsheet but this gets to be a pain. i know i'm missing/doing somethin dumb to cause this - any help????

thanks
    bob s

[QUOTE=rs402931;908029]hi

i have a 500GB western digital "my book" portable drive i use on both main pc and my laptop. many times i use both pc's for same project. seems no matter how i "designate" the drive, either the pc or laptop speed edit looks for it in on a different HD designation. I know i can change desig in speededit spreadsheet but this gets to be a pain. i know i'm missing/doing somethin dumb to cause this - any help????

Are you leaving two USB cables connected and just swapping them to the Xternal drive? It does not happen here that way, and I use 3 USB drives. They all show as the same drive letter.

HTHelps
    GoodLuck KiloVideo

Digitizing video since 1984
    HyMPG Designer since 1997
    [email protected]

Kilo,

Sometimes i have two of the drives plugged in at same time. Sometimes only one. Is that the Problem? I "ASSUMED" i could label one of them Drive "I" (for example) and the other one Drive "E" (for example) and then whether they were in laptop or main editing pc they would appear as "E" or "I" regardless of what else might be plugged in?

thanks,
    Bob

do you mean you got a different drive letter on different systems? You can easily solve that by pressing rmb on My computer - Manage - Storage etc

actually i have tried that, but - "seems" like the laptop or pc may be assigning drive letter if there is a usb device plugged in that may be using that letter? Not sure if thats the problem? sometimes i have a couple usb Flash Drives plugged in that i need also, might this be the problem??

Thanks,
    Bob

that's not a problem. you just need to change them to something else. The best thing you can do is take the letter Z for your HD's on both computers. You can take any letter you want but ofcourse you can only use it once . If you pick Z you won;t get in trouble or do you have 26 usb memory sticks etc connected to your system

ok, thanks. I appreiciate it. Now "Maybe" the little sanity i have left can remain a little longer.

thanks,
    Bob