Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tricaster MPEG2 files will not play/edit in SpeedEdit...

True. Just to mention it, if your authoring software supports it, TriCaster's 'hi profile' Studio MPEG2 files have a substantial edge over DV avI's, quality wise.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Well, after two more updates for each of the VT[5]s it appears that the NewTek version of the MPEG2 will actually play and edit on both VT[5]s and Speed Edit on my laptop. Which still leaves the questioin about snyc (if it is really off) and why major changes like these are not brought to the attention of users. Owning so many NewTek systems, I am sure that like many others, I would like NewTek to pass along the informatioin that we need to update. They are pretty damn good at letting us know that they have a new product available. I get those emails form NewTek all the time. Had this change been called to my attention, probably no production time would have been lost and this whole thread could have been avoided. A little customer support in the form of communicatioin would be excellent.

There are a lot of "tech-types" associated with the whole NewTek product line and while they might be able to spend time scanning the discussion threads, those of us who are busy with day to day productioin (and life in gerneral) do not get to the forum as often. A "tip-off" email would make it possible to know when we have to start updating and following various threads.

Thanks to all who commented on the problem. If NewTek Tech Support had just mentioned the need to upgrade in the first phone call several days ago, I would not have had to ask for your assistance. But not to knock them too much, they did just repair my second Tricaster Pro at no cost and returned it very fast (pesky graphics board). That is one BIG plus for NewTek product support. If we could get this little issue that I have had to deal with the last few days resolved with some timely email communications we would be close to perfection which is something few other companies ever achieve with their tech support.
    Bill
    www.interactivevideo.tv
    609-654-6122

Technical Account Manager - Channel Support
    I've spoken with the Tech Support manager, and he will making sure tech support is aware of this update correctly any possible issues with TriCaster MPEGs. Normally, we do send out upgrade announcements.

We will be adding these details to our public FAQ, http://www.newtek.com/faq/index.php I suggest anytime you experience any issue you check this page out first even before the forums.
    Zane Condren
    Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

Quote Originally Posted by wftiv View Post
    Owning so many NewTek systems, I am sure that like many others, I would like NewTek to pass along the informatioin that we need to update.
    wftiv, I get the update e-mails when they are available for all my NewTek products. And I have a bundle of them! Are you sure you are registered?
    Go to the website, Customer Care, Registration and "My Products". If you don't see your products, they don't have you registered to let you know of updates.

As far as being surprised that an update was needed, 21 minutes after you posted I replied asking if your products were the latest build.
    I'm jsut saying, sometimes the answer is right in front of you.
    Glad you got it going. Best of luck! And make sure you have your e-mail correctly listed with NewTek adn your spam isn't catching it.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

I'd like to add my apology, too. Normally, I try to keep up with this sort of thing, often doing testing on weekends, but lately I have to say that 'growing pains' around here ('here' meaning NewTek) have taken up most of the time I normally use for such things.

I'm not really sure why the most recent VT build wasn't posted for general dispersion; I'd expected it to be. It may have just been some sort of internal communications glitch. In any case, I very much appreciate that your report helped unclog things.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I use DVD Workshop 2. I would be editing on the VT5 but after editing I would have to re-encode using TMPGEnc and then put it in the authoring software. Just wondering how it's going to hold up since your encoding a MPEG2 to MPEG2.

Thanks,
    Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Marty01 View Post
    Just wondering how it's going to hold up since your encoding a MPEG2 to MPEG2.
    Given that it's higher image quality than DV AVI, which in turn is higher than a typical DVD spec MPEG2, I'd expect it to be pretty decent.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Okay, thanks for the answer. Now let's just hope it stays in the budget for next year. I'll probably know next week.

Thanks,
    Marty

I'm really bummed about this no AVI format anymore. I thought the new MPG2 deal was just another choice, not your only option.

We edit in Final Cut Pro... like most normal business in LA that aren't in an AVID work flow. Neither MPG2 (studio or standard) imports easily into Final Cut Pro 6.0.. which to me is completely unacceptable. The old avi format, while perhaps a lesser quality, worked great.

1) Can we change back to AVI format if we wish? (I'm glad for the community making progress here, but why force people to change their workflow?)

2) What's the best pluggin or codec to install so Final Cut Pro will just let this import and work without additional steps?

3) Are there any other users on here that use a TriCaster Studio and a Final Cut Pro post workflow that have specific advice for me.

4) Is there an add on or upgrade for the TriCaster that will save as a standard DV .mov file or even better ApplePro Codec. A LOT of people cut in Final Cut! Just seems logical to want to bring your saved shows directly into the most popular editing program in the industry.

Sorry, just bought this for myself and the other ones I used saved as AVI and worked great. Looking forward to getting over this hump.

It's ALL about the light Paul Lara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theStreamDotTV View Post
    What's the best pluggin or codec to install so Final Cut Pro will just let this import and work without additional steps?
    Looking forward to getting over this hump.
    Have you installed the MPEG-2 plug-in from Apple?
    Don't stream it - TriCast it!

yes i have, followed the directions exactly.

plays in quicktime now, but i still only get video in final cut. tried multiple computers and various versions of final cut as well, all with the same results.

really disappointing.

4) Is there an add on or upgrade for the TriCaster that will save as a standard DV .mov file or even better ApplePro Codec. A LOT of people cut in Final Cut! Just seems logical to want to bring your saved shows directly into the most popular editing program in the industry.
    Not trying to be a smart *** but... This is the add on that you are looking for http://www.aja.com/products/ki-pro/

-patrick

Technical Account Manager - Channel Support
    yes i have, followed the directions exactly.

plays in quicktime now, but i still only get video in final cut. tried multiple computers and various versions of final cut as well, all with the same results.

really disappointing.

Final Cut does not support interleaved audio files like every other application on the planet does. So NewTek TriCaster records a seperate audio along with the video file. If you go back to your TriCaster you will find a MP3 file with the same file name as the mpeg Video file. Drag this to the timeline with the video file.
    Zane Condren
    Product and Vertical Market Manager - Digital Broadcast
    NewTek Inc.
    new.tk/call

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Zane Condren View Post
    Final Cut does not support interleaved audio files like every other application on the planet does.
    Do they have a stated reason for this?

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    weird thing is the link Paul posted for the mpeg plugin says they it will support muxed audio.
    http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/

Support for MPEG-2

The QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component provides QuickTime users with the ability to import and play back MPEG-2 content, including both multiplexed (a.k.a. muxed, where the audio and video tracks are interleaved together into one track) and non-multiplexed (a.k.a. elementary) streams.:
    Sounds like the Apple guys need to look into it a little further. It wouldn't be the first time that marketing got ahead of engineering.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast