Thread: Monitor Calibrator

Monitor Calibrator

Can anyone recommend a good monitor calibrator, price is a consideration?
    i7 920 2.8Ghz, 12GB OCZ Gold, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, Nvidia 250 GTS, Cheiftec A-135 750W, Zalman Z7
    Core 2 duo E6600 2.4Ghz, 8GB Corsair Dominator, Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6, CiT PSU, Quadro FX4500

Back in the Moutains on the Canadian border surounded by Deer, Quail, little Bunnies, clean water, air with real oxygen, the toe-headed offspring of the pioneers who settled up here, the neighbor's Milk Cows and Jillions of tiny Chipmunks. Whoo Hoo

:agree: Spyder is the way to go.

Has anyone used the Huey Pro?
    i7 920 2.8Ghz, 12GB OCZ Gold, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, Nvidia 250 GTS, Cheiftec A-135 750W, Zalman Z7
    Core 2 duo E6600 2.4Ghz, 8GB Corsair Dominator, Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6, CiT PSU, Quadro FX4500

Had Huey Pro. It can calibrate multiple monitors (standard Huey did not). It's easy to use, quick and pretty accurate. Drawback in my opinion is the design. It uses two strips of tiny suction cups for attaching to the monitor, over a more conventional "suspended in front of monitor" design. Problem was, after a while Huey just would not stick to the screen and I had to hand-hold it thru the calibration process... rather annoying.
    Spyder looks better and costs only a fraction more.

Don't use a suction style unit on LEDs or Plasma Monitors...
    Those were designed for CRTs.
    You could damage your display with the suction style.

Spyder pro is decent...thou there are other options.

Cheers,
    Ray Adams
    FX and Production Supervisor

The Spyder 3 here in the UK costs about £100 which equates to about $160-170 at the moment. We get ripped off here. But I am looking at the Spyder 3 as an option.

Any suggestions for options Ray?

Thanks

Hi, does anyone know if the Spyder3 pro (the non-TV version) can also be used to calibrate HDTV's? Besides computer graphics I'm also into Home theatre and pro audio equipment and I want all my equipment running at optimal quality settings.
    Workstation:
    ASUS P5W64 WS Pro motherboard
    Core 2 Quad [email protected]
    8Gb PC6400
    ASUS Geforce GTX260
    Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate

There is a version of it on amazon for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
    There is a version of it on amazon for that purpose.
    Thanks, but what I meant is, to save money can I do HDTV calibration with a Monitor calibration type Spyder 3 unit? I did some research and apparently you can! Some French developers made a piece of software (in English, thank god) that can calibrate a television with the Spyder 3. You can download it here:

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/colorimetre/index_en.php
    Workstation:
    ASUS P5W64 WS Pro motherboard
    Core 2 Quad [email protected]
    8Gb PC6400
    ASUS Geforce GTX260
    Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate

The Spyder 3 here in the UK costs about £100 which equates to about $160-170 at the moment. We get ripped off here. But I am looking at the Spyder 3 as an option.

Any suggestions for options Ray?

Thanks
    It really depends on how accurate you are looking to get, the medium you are working in, vs the costs.

Below are some links that might help...
    I would not recommend the Huey...but the X-rute i1 I would.

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/m...alibration.htm

http://www.metalvortex.com/chart/

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...r,1071-16.html

http://askville.amazon.com/SimilarQu...ffordable-tool

http://cinespace.rsrhq.com/

If you are looking to be working with Film...then I would recomend the Cinespace system...which uses the X-rite i1 or minolta probes...but it isn't cheap.

The Spyder pro 3 is decent for multi-media...and for print...thou the X-rite can have a better color accuracy...thou it costs more.

I don't think you would go wrong with either unit...but match up the software & probe to what you are wanting it to do.

Also note that profiling a plasma is very different and requires a different probe than a CRT.

Cheers,
    Ray Adams
    FX and Production Supervisor

I use the GretagMacbeth / Pantone i1Display 2

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=788

It's not the cheapest one out there, but does a pretty decent job with minimal effort.

It does have suction cups on the back, but these are really meant for CRT monitors that are so deep you can't use the counter weight on the cord to balance the calibrator in place. You don't need to use the suckers with TFT displays, so it's not an issue at all.
    Last edited by Matt; 07-24-2009 at 09:51 AM.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Many thanks Ray, I agree about the Huey, having had a look round there are issues. The Spyder 3 does look like a good choice, I'm doing Arch Viz and really need my monitor calibrating for that. I will have a look through your links.........appreciated.

Matt- I will have a look at the i1Display 2 aswell. Having looked at US prices, what a surprise we pay nearly double.

I will hopefully be getting one next week (got a job paying then lol)

Matt- I will have a look at the i1Display 2 aswell. Having looked at US prices, what a surprise we pay nearly double.
    Well that makes a change! It's usually the other way around for us poor UK peeps!
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek