PDA

View Full Version : Will render for food

jameswillmott
07-02-2009, 11:43 PM
( The credit crunch has claimed my company, so I'm reluctantly closing up the office for the last time and moving back home. )

Lightwave generalist with 15 years experience available for modeling, rendering and animating tasks. My primary focus has always been archvis but I'm quite capable at animating, rigging, subpatch modeling and texturing too. I've done a lot of modeling work for 3d studios here in Australia, which frees them up to do the fun job of texturing and rendering, and would be quite content doing just this. I'm a trained architectural technician, so reading drawings/blueprints is second nature to me.

My portfolio is online at www.symmetrix3d.com
Contact me via Skype (callto:jameswillmott42) or email (mailto:[email protected]) any time.

creativecontrol
07-03-2009, 12:05 AM
That is a terrible shame, your work looks very good. Best of luck finding something worth your talent. I'm not an employer at this time so I can't help but I hope you find something.

Things are not great here either but still rolling. That's all.

jameswillmott
07-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the support!

Matt
07-03-2009, 03:39 AM
Aaaah man, that sucks bad. Hope you find something soon James.

Your work is top notch.

Johnny
07-03-2009, 06:10 AM
I took a look at the architectural portion of your site...very nice..I can't imagine you'll be without a gig for very long. Hope you can regain a client base, too!

J

shrox
07-03-2009, 09:55 AM
"Will render for food", been there....

-EsHrA-
07-03-2009, 10:05 AM
"Will render for food", been there....

doing that :)

virtualcomposer
07-03-2009, 01:02 PM
totally relate. This is not a good time for anyone these days. Now the stocks have plumited again as of yesterday so that is not helping consumer confidence.

GregMalick
07-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Aloha James,

If you find yourself with too much time on your hands, why don't you knock out some video tutorials and sell them? Kinda a Rebel Hill thing.

What impressed me the most in that video was the Lighting.
A specialty video like that would bring in some cash and all you'd need was Camtasia and a hosting site.

Anyway, wishing you the best of luck.

shrox
07-03-2009, 02:35 PM
I am lucky enough to have a good job now, although not in games or video, but I still use Lightwave heavily designing model rockets.

Greenlaw
07-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Hi James,

Sorry to hear about this.

I agree with GregMalick; I bought your 'Introduction to Node Based Textures (http://www.kurvstudios.com/lightwave/introduction_nodes.php)' course a while back, and for me it was the fastest and least intimidating way to get started with LW nodes. If you ever do a sequel, I'm there. :)

Greenlaw

Tobian
07-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Ahh man that's sad, so many lights winking out at the moment :( Hope you get some luck and work soon!

virtualcomposer
07-03-2009, 03:54 PM
I believe the economy is going to be changing because it can't run with a mass number of business falling like this. I'm hoping the government will help everyone if possible or lower standards so that we all can get on our feet again.

Johnny
07-04-2009, 04:19 PM
I believe the economy is going to be changing because it can't run with a mass number of business falling like this. I'm hoping the government will help everyone if possible or lower standards so that we all can get on our feet again.

so would that be sort of like lowering the floor?

J

shrox
07-04-2009, 06:29 PM
so would that be sort of like lowering the floor?

J

Or discovering a hidden basement! Maybe there's a pool table!

virtualcomposer
07-04-2009, 10:36 PM
well the economy would not be able to jump start if people can't be approved for loans due to layoffs and millions of people are in this perdicament.

JamesCurtis
07-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Well, my state is running out of money to keep programs running and is considering raising taxes. Even the city I live in is going to put on the ballot an increased property tax levy. Our taxes are too high as it is IMO.

My freelance work is 25% of what it was last year and right now me and my wife (who's on disability) are barely holding on right now. I've had 3 projects get canceled this year so far.

As far as the gov helping us out, I think unless you're a big banking or investmernt corporation/firm going under, don't count on it.

The stimulus here, to me, was laughable, Since I'm self employed I saw no benefit from it - I don't receive a weekly paycheck, so the average $5-$10 workers saw did not apply. And for the most part, that "savings" was eaten up by rising gas and food prices anyhow.

Most of the money we've been making, it seems, has been going to the gov to pay current and past taxes.

Companies need to create jobs and get people back to work again in order to get things on track again.

Hope the 2 client projects that are still in the wings for me actually become reality or I'm not sure what I'm going to do either.

archijam
07-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Good luck james - very solid work there.

Was back in WA the last month (back in switzerland now), and while it's pretty tough, there are still archi projects going on, especially internationally. Got any contacts at the bigger firms?

For example EDAW is now joining AECOM to become the largest planning/urban design monster the world has ever seen ..

They have laid off alot, bu this means that they may subcontract first rather than employ new staff.

Will let you know if I come across something interesting.

Speaking of stimulus, the Aussie government has been going to town with it -

First there was the 900 bucks for every carbon based lifeform (most likely blown on a trip to Bali), and now there is the 'claim half the cost of anything against your taxable business income' scheme.

Now my sarcasm is perhaps heavy-handed on this subject, but the US model of spending money you don't have may have worked (till now) for a powerhouse like the US, but seems ludicrous in OZ. As well as the fact that many businesses are spending money on things they don't necessarily need, because they are getting a good deal (my brother in law just bought a new car for the business).

Budget deficit ahoy.

dvfx
07-30-2009, 05:17 PM
I'm sorry to hear of peoples difficulties these days.

The best advice I can give to all LWers out there.....learn MAYA.
not in a smug "my-app-is-better-than-your-app" way but in a practical "pay-the-bills" way.

Lightwave jobs just aren't around much anymore and if they are, the pay is a fraction of what it should be for artists with quality skill sets. Even shops that used to be LW are now trading in for Max and Maya. There are almost no Lightwave jobs on vfxpro.com and other sites (including this one).
Maya Generalists are whats hot and there are too many kids coming out of school with Maya PLE under their belt. I myself have loved LW over the years (LW1.0) but rarely do I use it at studios in Los Angeles on any significant projects.
It's all Maya, Proprietary, and Max. (Oh and Nuke is the compositor of choice these days they also have a PLE version)

This is not information meant to discourage but to encourage, there are more training DVDs and tutorials available than ever before! So if the foundation is there, adapting to another app is much less difficult.

I wish you the best of luck!

Greenlaw
07-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Hmm.

Greenlaw

shockwave
08-03-2009, 06:31 PM
dvfx not intending to flame you but putting both programs side by side as I do at the studio I work and Maya is a dog. It's only good for making puppets move. It is not an artists software but a programmer/artist type software. I only say this from experience not as intended as to say my Ford is better than your Chev but I can blow anyone to MARS modelling, mapping, rendering animating using LW. If you have the 90K and the time it takes to learn how to make the Maya puppets move good for you. If you have the 2k and the spare time to learn LW, the better for you. It is VFX artist friendly. Proven that it takes 1 LW artist to relpace 6 Maya artists. Bank that.
Like I said not meaning to flame but like with religion I say go with what gives you peace.

Greenlaw
08-03-2009, 07:47 PM
Actually, I thought it was a very odd thing to say in a LightWave forum. If the post wasn't trolling for a flame, what is?

Of course, I'm not denying that learning Maya would be a good thing. But, in my opinion, all art programs have their strengths and weaknesses, and no single package is the best solution to every problem. We use both LightWave and Maya here, among many other applications, and we use what we feel is appropriate to a given task, and the resources (i.e., time and money) available to us.

FYI, in hiring artists, we prefer generalists who can work in several different packages, in particular LightWave, Fusion, Maya, SynthEyes, and RealFlow. It's actually very rare, if ever, that we will hire a Maya-only or a Fusion-only artist.

If you're looking to get hired in the Box, learning Maya certainly helps, but dropping LightWave would not. We do all our modeling, lighting, rendering and all of our non-character animation and effects work in LightWave. We do most of our character animation in Maya, but not all, and certain aspects of character animation, like fur and hair, is animated and rendered in LightWave. In short, a Maya animator here still has to be somewhat familiar with LightWave.

But then again, we're probably not like everybody else. And we like it that way. :)

Greenlaw

shockwave
08-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Exactly. When I first started I only knew LW but on my own studied Maya to improve my skillset and to be a better at my job by being more versitile.

Stay positive James!:thumbsup:

jameswillmott
08-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Exactly. When I first started I only knew LW but on my own studied Maya to improve my skillset and to be a better at my job by being more versitile.

Stay positive James!:thumbsup:

Thanks everyone!

I've taken it upon myself to get up to speed in either Maya or 3DS to increase my usefulness, Maya would seem to be the preferred option based on discussions here, yes?

shockwave
08-03-2009, 09:46 PM
It wouldnt hurt. I had no choice because in here in Toronto is where it is created, and taught everywhere so I had to adapt or starve. There are only a handfull of LW users here so I was very lucky to find work.

jasonwestmas
08-22-2009, 09:38 AM
Maya yes, if you want to do game stuff, use max too, every game studio has a copy or two. There is a ton of work in games for environmental and surfacing, which seems to be your strength.

James, I bought your nodal video finally, it's really helpful. You should do that second video you were talking about when you get the time.

Kionel
08-25-2009, 08:20 AM
Sorry to see your business shut down. Your work is fantastic.

I feel your pain, though certainly not to your level. I started my own 3D freelance business last year. Landed clients, did good work. Unfortunately, after months of chasing down payments and watching the numbers go deeper and deeper into the red, I finally decided to go back to IT while waiting for the economy to warm up.

Things will turn around, man. They have to. When they do, you'll be ready.

That being said, maybe you should actually teach at a school. Students need good instruction. Why not?

Rabbitpenny
09-22-2009, 06:55 PM
I didn't see this post before now because I'm too ignorant (so far) to get a job in this field. Mr. Willmott, I have used your advice anonymously on this forum and need to thank you. Your circumstances are not fair and wish you a quick rebound.

shrox
09-22-2009, 07:27 PM
"Will render for food", been there, done that, all I got was ramon noodles...

Shnoze Shmon
09-23-2009, 12:04 AM
"Will render for food", been there, done that, all I got was ramon noodles...

Too many splines, you were rendering too many splines. Render boxes with hardFX and you can have crackers too.:yoda: