PDA

View Full Version : Modeler doesn't work well with text?

virtualcomposer
07-02-2009, 07:41 PM
It seems like when I try to make 3D text in Modeler it's like pulling teeth and crossing fingers hoping it won't dissapear before I send it to Layout. In Layout it works fine but Modeler doesn't seem to like it. Any of you have this problem? is there a work around for this?

MooseDog
07-03-2009, 08:32 AM
what do you mean disappear? it's a pretty simple and robust tool here. the enclosed took all of 30 secs.

UnCommonGrafx
07-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Never.
S'plain.

Edit: In 9.6 there are at least FOUR different ways to get text to geometry. Which are you using?

virtualcomposer
07-03-2009, 11:48 AM
I normally use "text" or "multitext" and then I extrude it to form 3 dimentions. Am I doing it wrong or a tough geometric way? Modeler tends to crash if I do to much to them and I'm talking about simple stuff. I have the newest version of 9.6 and I'm using a Mac and the text are ok once I get them out of Modeler.

shrox
07-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Some "homemade" true type fonts don't work well with modeler, might be a contributor to your crashing problem.

virtualcomposer
07-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Some "homemade" true type fonts don't work well with modeler, might be a contributor to your crashing problem.

so what do you recommend the best way to create a text? I also had a question to. once the text or object is deselect and then I reselect it again, I can't hit numeric to change the size anymore. For example, if something is 4x4x4 and I want it to be 4x4x2, I select all of the object and hit numeric in polygon or any other mode down at the bottom and I don't have the option to change part of the size. I'm not really a modeler so I'm most proficient in Layout.

shrox
07-03-2009, 01:25 PM
so what do you recommend the best way to create a text? I also had a question to. once the text or object is deselect and then I reselect it again, I can't hit numeric to change the size anymore. For example, if something is 4x4x4 and I want it to be 4x4x2, I select all of the object and hit numeric in polygon or any other mode down at the bottom and I don't have the option to change part of the size. I'm not really a modeler so I'm most proficient in Layout.

For me it's working fine, I get an error message rather than a crash on fonts that aren't made quite right, it's usually all with a hole in the character, like 'O', 'P', etc.

Once you turn off the text tool it is set as geometry and can not be edited by the text tool, it's now just an object.

virtualcomposer
07-03-2009, 02:55 PM
For me it's working fine, I get an error message rather than a crash on fonts that aren't made quite right, it's usually all with a hole in the character, like 'O', 'P', etc.

Once you turn off the text tool it is set as geometry and can not be edited by the text tool, it's now just an object.

Hey thanks Shrox. Your insight is always appriciated.

Kuzey
07-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Sounds like bad fonts as shrox mentioned.....I had issues with them before:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94265

Kuzey

virtualcomposer
07-04-2009, 09:38 PM
hmm, so it's not just me. Well at least I feel like an animator again. LOL

F_GX
07-07-2009, 06:57 AM
It seems like when I try to make 3D text in Modeler it's like pulling teeth and crossing fingers hoping it won't dissapear before I send it to Layout.

No, that's impossible. As shrox said, when you're done in Modeler, the text is converted to a regular 3d mesh, it's nothing special about it, there can not be a problem with some fancy font, because the moment it works in Modeler, it will work in Layout, too.

The problem has to be somewhere else.

edit: oh it looks like i missunderstood you. you were talking about not working tools on the font basis, ait?
Then it's likely to be caused by the font, true. Thought the problem only was sending it over to layout,
what obviously after reading your post again, is not the problem.

DrStrik9
07-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Since I came from the design world, I just use gool ol' Adobe Illustrator to design text before importing into Modeler. Illustrator does optical kerning (something Modeler knows nothing about), allows you to alter the characters in limitless ways, and of course, repairs bad font paths, if they exist and you know what to look for, very easily.

I did have some trouble with the CFM (early Mac) importing of these files, but the 9.6 UB works beautifully.

CC Rider
07-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Since I came from the design world, I just use gool ol' Adobe Illustrator to design text before importing into Modeler. Illustrator does optical kerning (something Modeler knows nothing about), allows you to alter the characters in limitless ways, and of course, repairs bad font paths, if they exist and you know what to look for, very easily.

I did have some trouble with the CFM (early Mac) importing of these files, but the 9.6 UB works beautifully.

true...EPS loader is your friend for working with tricky fonts!
Just need Photoshop or Illustrator to save out the EPS...

:thumbsup: