PDA

View Full Version : sIBL Update

gerardstrada
07-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Hello,

Just to let you know the excellent CG artist and developer Christian Bloch has released a new version of his so useful

SmartIBL
http://www.hdrlabs.com/news/index.php?id=4134067199699569773

Some of the new features include:

- GPS tags: For choosing our lighting set by region
- S_IBL Framework: a standalone GUI version by Kel Solaar
- Multiple Lights!
- Automatic Update
...and more

There's also some interesting updates and bugfixes to sIBL-Edit made by Chris Huf :thumbsup:

But wait, there's more, the new version for Lightwave comes now with a new module, a ShadowCatcher - a very clever solution from Blochi for shadows integration.

...IBL never has been so easy

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/ftpcstest.png
BackGround by Blochi - included in the sIBL collection / Model included in LW Content by Aristomenis Tsirbas

Gerardo

Matt
07-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Freaking awesome! One of my favourite plugins this.

monovich
07-02-2009, 03:22 PM
I so need to read up on this. I know I'm missing out...

JohnMarchant
07-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Funny i have just been doing a render using sIBL and you come up with an update, very glad to hear there is an update to my favorite lighting plugin

Matt
07-02-2009, 05:09 PM
I so need to read up on this. I know I'm missing out...

I did a video tutorial for the previous version on my website http://www.pixsim.co.uk/lightwave_video_tutorials.html

Still holds true for this version of sIBL.

Matt
07-02-2009, 05:34 PM
The new Shadow Catcher option works great!

This scene took about ummmmmm, 30 secs to setup!

Christian Bloch, you're a frickin' genius dude! :)

(Edit, not my model BTW, can't remember who's it was, was off the tinternet somewhere, Lewis maybe?)

gerardstrada
07-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Nice render Matt! (excellent tutorial, by the way).

Cheers,

Gerardo

Matt
07-02-2009, 05:53 PM
This is too much fun! :D

adk
07-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Awesome ... I use this great tool a whole lot. Cheers for the heads up :thumbsup:

JeffrySG
07-03-2009, 07:52 AM
Very cool! can't wait to test it out! :D

colkai
07-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Downloaded, hope to have time this weekend to install and play. Assuming the wife hasn't totally mapped out my weekend for me with jobs! :p

JeffrySG
07-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Downloaded, hope to have time this weekend to install and play. Assuming the wife hasn't totally mapped out my weekend for me with jobs! :p

lmao

Mr Rid
07-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Have not used the plugin and am not sure how these example renders are being done, but am wondering offhand about some odd bounce near the ground in the examples posted. The shoes of the Freak, particularly the right heel, are receiving a bright bounce from the floor where it ought to be dark from the shadow, and the same with the rear tire of the car. It looks as if the ground shadow is not being taking into account before the GI bounce (?).

gerardstrada
07-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Since sIBL ShadowCatcher is using transparency channel, the only thing I can think is Use Transparency option in Render panel shouldn't have been activated for that case.

Just to clear any doubt, this is a test with Use Transparency option enabled:

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/Tumbler.jpg

Blochi's idea about this ShadowCatcher solution was to provide the most simple node setup, easy of using for most of people. But there's no reason why we can't adapt it, improve it or replace it according to each particular case. Here I'm used to use another solution, which doesn't imply to use transparency channel. Although is more complex, too.

Gerardo

geo_n
07-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Since sIBL ShadowCatcher is using transparency channel, the only thing I can think is Use Transparency option in Render panel shouldn't have been activated for that case.

Just to clear any doubt, this is a test with Use Transparency option enabled:

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/Tumbler.jpg

Blochi's idea about this ShadowCatcher solution was to provide the most simple node setup, easy of using for most of people. But there's no reason why we can't adapt it, improve it or replace it according to each particular case. Here I'm used to use another solution, which doesn't imply to use transparency channel. Although is more complex, too.

Gerardo

wow. this is front projected with shadowcatcher? any tutorial for integrating shadow catcher to scenes seamlessly?

Tobian
07-22-2009, 07:27 PM
No tutorial necessary, just install the script, download some of the sample scenes, rotate the controller null to controll the lighting/background angle - and render :)

The background is a sphere with the pano-image on it - the ground is a plane with the diffuse shader (modifier) is fed into the transparency channel. As you and I messed on with Mr. Rid, it's a similar solution. It still suffers if the light is too close to the horizon, because then there isn't enough 'lightness' to illuminate the ground plane properly, in which case you have to tweak the shadow catching nodes. In most cases it works rather well though!

I also noticed the near-ground shading issue, but largely I fixed it by using an ambient occlusion shader multiplied to the reflection and diffuse channels...

http://comby.star-fleet.org/C111/c111_back.jpg one of my test renders, done in linear colour space (JUST getting the hang of it now!) Model not by me! :)

gerardstrada
07-23-2009, 03:19 AM
wow. this is front projected with shadowcatcher? any tutorial for integrating shadow catcher to scenes seamlessly?

Yep. It's bassically sIBL shadowcatcher. I've used the Linear (Studio Setup) mode of sIBL, and all the post work has been made within LW too. I should put Blochi in Lighting because his sIBL made almost everything :)

About the shadowcatcher setup there are some few things you might want to consider. Besides to activate "Use Transparency" option in Render panel:

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/UT.png

do consider we setup the strength and range of the shadow/shade with ColorTool. Brightness controls the transparency, and Contrast the strength of the shade/shadow. To notice better how well we are setting up this, we can use an Invert node (scalar) momentarily. Idea is that ground ends up as black as possible and shades areas end up transparent:

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/invert.png

Later we can delete the Invert node and floor should be totally transparent.

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/noinvert.png

We can also use a BoxStep node instead of ColorTool.

Btw, nice render, Tobian. welcome to the small linear workflow club! :D

Gerardo

Tobian
07-23-2009, 06:08 AM
Yeah, as I was saying, the problem with the method is getting that nnon shades section as 'black' as possible. Especially when you're working in linear colour, it's hard to tell, as it can make everything look very dark! :)

The one thing I did ponder though is that the colour is essentially 'grey' as it's just your floor colour+black. Can you think of a colour workflow which would tint the shadow so it's actually using the diffuse colour shade, so you get more realistic coloured shadows?

Nice tip about the 'use transparency' - I hadn't thought of that, though the problem then is your objects, though in the past I have split 'glass' objects into a seperate layer and told them to be 'unseen by radiosity' to help with darkening issues, so that could be used to mitigate that here.

And thanks for the welcome, it's hard work! :)

gerardstrada
07-23-2009, 08:05 PM
At least for me, a BoxStep node is easier, but it's just a personal preference. About things get darkened in linear workflow, yes, but if we gamma-correct our output results, we won't see a dark image.

About to tint the shadows, I guess you are talking about shades provided by GI (since we can tint shadows in Lights properties). Yes it's posible, and I guess there are several ways to do this. But only to keep things simple and faster - and with the same node setup of Blochi - we can use DP_ColorBleed Node:

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/CB.gif

About the "Use Transparency" option, you said "the problem then is your objects", why is a problem?

Btw, linear workflows are not hard, you just need to find your way, with the right tools and the appropriate workflow :)

Gerardo

Tobian
07-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Yeah Gerardo it is hard - There's a reason why there's not many of us, few understand WHY they even need to do it :D

With regards to the colour bleed - nice idea - but that would only give you the colour tint from the object - and not the radiosity solution.

With regards to the 'use transparency' option - using that option can cause huge render slowdowns, and also cause a lot of interior darkening, which isn't always that 'realistic'. This is more of an issue when not using 'real' lights, than for when you're using pure radiosity, but then some of the SIBL maps do that.

Also - as a quirk, I have to ask: With regards to the lower-res HDR reflections map - I ran into a bit of an issue with the glass of my car windows. They were properly refractive glass - so they showed only the lower quality 'visible to rays' HDR image. I solved the issue by making the glass for the windows have no IOR - and set the renderer to not 'use transparency' - however it's not ideal, as I would prefer it to work properly. Any ideas? For car windows you only really need the reflection, but if you were doing a scene with, say, a nice piece of ornamental glass, unless it had lots of refraction blur (which would mask the error), it would end up with weird issues...

h2oStudios
07-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Any chance of a direct link to the Download of this plugin? I can't view the site due to IE issues and IE 7&8 won't install on the system I'm on for some God forsaken reason:(. This plug looks really cool and I wouldn't want to miss out.

gerardstrada
07-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Tobian, that's precisely the reason why people don't work in linear light, they don't understand why and how. Don't think it has something to do with if it's hard or not, but I guess, that's depends on the type of linear workflow and tools one is using. What type of linear workflow are you using? what part of the process is hard for you?

Regarding to DP_ColorBleed Node, we can use an additional AO node to get color data from the distant scene. SG_AmbOcc Node (Full Surface Evaluation) solves both things in a single node as well.

Regarding to what you say about 'Use Transparency', can you post a pick about what you mention?

About your question about reflections, try with SphericalMap+RayTracing for your car glass.

h2oStudios, this is the direct link for LW version (http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/downloads/sIBL_Lightwave.zip).

Gerardo

h2oStudios
07-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Good lookin out Gerardo! Much appreciated:thumbsup:.

Tobian
07-24-2009, 03:10 PM
With regards to your suggestion - the raytracing+spherical map thing wouldn't work - because the background sphere and reflections sphere exist in the environment - i.e. - the ray is fired from the back of the glass, and will then hit... a sphere - it cannot ignore it (and if it did, 'unseen by rays' then your HDR sphere wouldn't show up in reflections. You'd have to remove the sphere, and reconfigure all your surfaces, with reflection maps - and then the SIBL loader would break... (for example - I doubt the SIBL loader can alter all my reflection and refraction nodes, even if it can alter surface properties!)

I am not 100% sure if the problem still exists in the current radiosity engine but this is basically the problem (I don't have a pic I can show currently)

create a room, divided in 2, by a glass (read dielectric) partition object...

Light both halves of the room with actual 'lights' and use radiosity - it works fine.
Use large lumigons (polygons with a self illuminating surface) and no lights...

The room behind the partition will look really dark.. Unless you tell the partition to be 'unseen by radiosity' or tell it to ignore transparency.. In which case it'll be fine...

I will do a test scene once my current render has finished, it might have been resolved, since the last time I tried it...

( edit) I forgot to say you place the camera in one half of the room, looking at both.

gerardstrada
07-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Tobian, if this time I understand well what you said (things would be easier with a simple pic), the simplest solution is to separate your glass object in other layer and set as "unseen by radiosity".

And as I commented before, nothing prevent us to modify, adjust or improve sIBL setups. People whom want to propose better solutions or request new features, please feel free to comment in this thread :)

h2oStudios, if you have downloaded previous versins of sIBL collection, you may update them with the new .ibl files (http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/downloads/ibl_files.zip).

Gerardo

twine
07-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Just my two cents worth here guys, as I am no expert in these matters, but I have been using dponts shadow node (colour into transparency) for the shadow catcher, this shows up in fprime. Although trying to play around with the nodes setting mostly makes Fprime crash. Ive left the settings alone for now as the default is sufficient for my needs.

gerardstrada
07-24-2009, 04:31 PM
With regards to your suggestion - the raytracing+spherical map thing wouldn't work - because the background sphere and reflections sphere exist in the environment - i.e. - the ray is fired from the back of the glass, and will then hit... a sphere - it cannot ignore it (and if it did, 'unseen by rays' then your HDR sphere wouldn't show up in reflections. You'd have to remove the sphere, and reconfigure all your surfaces, with reflection maps - and then the SIBL loader would break... (for example - I doubt the SIBL loader can alter all my reflection and refraction nodes, even if it can alter surface properties!)

Tobian, my suggestion is not even necessary. I made a test here with a sphere (dielectric material) and it shows crispy reflections!
It would be easier to help you if you post a pic about this reflection issue you mention.

Twine, yes, DP_Shadows is great. It seems easier to set up the Ground object "unseen by radiosity" and solve this surface with DP_nodes :D

Gerardo

Tobian
07-24-2009, 04:58 PM
*refractions*

As you can see in the attached pic, if you look in the windows - through to the background, the image seen is actually the HDR image, because it's refracted... The Background image plate object is 'unseen by rays'...

To solve it (http://comby.star-fleet.org/C111/c111_back2.jpg) I disabled the IOR of the surface, and set the globals to trn off 'ray trace transparency' - which stopped the glass refracting, and you could see the BG plate again. It's not ideal, but in this case I didn't NEED properly refracting glass - and soft Fresnel reflections look fine. But if you were rendering a vase or something, it would be broken somewhat...

gerardstrada
07-24-2009, 08:24 PM
OK. Let's see... please, correct me if I didn't understand well what you said. What you are saying is that seeing that BG sphere is set up as "unseen by rays", you are not able to see it through the refracted window. Instead, what you see is the Reflection sphere, right?

Ideally, the BG sphere should be a HDRI image too, but it's so big that Blochi preferred to use a tonemaped jpg (besides RAM limitation in 32-bits systems, downloading issues, data traffic, etc). But in a case where one need the BG sphere refracted because you have a nice transparent hero object, the easier solution would be to disable "the unseen by rays" option for the BG sphere, and set up objects by RefMap+RayTrace. sIBL has an option for Reflection Setup when we run the plugin. This option affects objects surfaces and the plugin ask you if you want to save them or not, as a copy extension, or as a copy in a specific folder.

Other solution could be to make the Reflection sphere invisible only for glass geometry, maybe.

Gerardo

P.D. Btw, the reflection map we see instead of the tonemapped BG map is about 2k-3k. So it's not so small after all.

h2oStudios
07-24-2009, 10:01 PM
h2oStudios, if you have downloaded previous versins of sIBL collection, you may update them with the new .ibl files (http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/downloads/ibl_files.zip).

Gerardo

First time diving in with this plug. Gonna check it out over the weekend, while following along with this thread.:thumbsup:

Blochi
07-24-2009, 11:50 PM
Heya,

Glad you guys like the plugin, and great to see that big discussion spawned here. Yes, reverse-engineering you will find many things that may seem odd...

Tobias, the REF dome is supposed to show up in reflections/refractions. It works for 80% of slightly reflective objects. Which, technically, should be anything that you would assign a spec value. REF is the new SPEC, including textures, and REF Blur is Glossiness.... Try using a Reflection Map instead of the dome, to get your speed back. It *should* link the refmap seam angle to the Heading of the master null, via expression. On transparent objects it will also plug the REF image into the Refraction image slot. At least it should, haven't used it for a while because we have a render farm and I stopped caring.

Gotta update the Help pane with some more descriptions of the setup you get...

But in general, even the background at 8k tends to get blurry with LW's standard camera. Try a 17mm lens, and move closer instead to compensate. That should also solve any problems with REF maps showing up in in windows.

In previous versions it was also setting the "Use Transparency" flag, but then I simplified the setup and tried to strip it down to the bare minimum. Wanted it to be more predictable. Was that a good decision, or would you rather have that back?

@h2oStudios: The plugin itself isn't that useful. You will also need some sIBL-sets from the archive. And, more importantly, you need to at least have a glance over the Smart IBL introduction. I highly recommend downloading Firefox, Safari, or Chrome. Even Opera works, all free downloads....

Blochi

Tobian
07-25-2009, 07:57 AM
Actually I think it does in a very simple way something that would take ages to set up yourself manually (the ground plane is very neat, more efficient than the version I made, but similar).

TBH, the annoyances I am having are more to do with the fact I am running up against configurability in LW - It would be better if LW had more comprehensive settings, such as 'unseen by refraction' 'unseen by reflection' - instead of just 'rays'. What you've done is very cool, it just runs up against these limitations.

Yeah my computer would struggle with super-high res HDR maps, it's an elegant solution, and does work nicely. With reguards to the limits of the resolution: I'm quite happy to have slightly fuzzy background plates for free thanks! :D

Gerardo... Just trying out the SG_ambOcc node - and so far it's resulted in extremelly bright blue shadows, so hmmmph :) I plugged it in to the diffuse node, as you did with the colour bleed node. Am I doing something wrong? I'll post a test swatch once it's done (slowly) rendering :D

Tobian
07-25-2009, 09:26 AM
Hahaha well this was quite fail! :)

Well it's nice to see my reflective surfaces responding nicelly to the shadows, and yes, my shadow is nicely tinted.... but OOPS :)

It took as long to render this swatch as it did to do a whole frame as well... Any more suggestions? :)

zapper1998
07-25-2009, 09:35 AM
ok cool stuff...

gerardstrada
07-25-2009, 06:45 PM
:agree: that's looks ugly... sorry, Tobian

I wonder, why is working out here:

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/L&DS.gif

but not in your scene?

Would it be the magic red sphere? :D

Sometimes it's not an idea that fails but rather its implementation. Then, before asking for more suggestions, you might want to pay more attention to your implementation.

It seems your Ground object need more transparency in non-shaded areas. try increasing the brightness. Guess you don't know this but if we need further control for any AO shader, we can use a gradient. In this way:

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/SGGrad.png

If you want to try other AO node, you may want to try with this node setup with DP_ColorBleed:

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/OCCCB.png

But remember, you need to tweak some parameters :)

Gerardo

gerardstrada
07-26-2009, 01:59 AM
Ok. This is other suggestion to solve the whole thing with LW's Global Ilumiantion (faster with Interpolated):

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/LWGI.gif

The same as with AO nodes, we can control the diffuse shading through a Gradient Node (instead of the multiply node). One might want to increase the indirect bounces though a node setup to saturate colors after the first bounce or through DP_ColorBleed Node instead of the ColorTool.

Frankly, I find this stuff more controllable through DP_NIF since we solve the effect as in a compositing package. There, we can take advantage of sIBL shadowcatcher, too :)

Gerardo

Blochi
07-26-2009, 02:34 AM
Hehe, interesting to see where you're taking this....

Some things you should know:

- Before creating a new shadowcatcher object, the plugin will se if there is already one created previously. So, as long as you keep the same content dir, your modifications will be kept for that particular environment when you just save over the object. Same goes for the Background and Reflection balls.

- The basic nodal surface, with Lambert piped into transparency, should already take Radiosity effects into account. Indeed, you get more control with Sebastian's plugins. But for the basic setup I tried to get everything done with only native LW tools. The idea is, that the finished setup has no outside dependencies, not even the Smart IBL plugin itself. It can load on any installation of LW.

/Blochi

Tobian
07-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Ahh Gerrardstrata, some more nice ideas, I'll try and play with them to see if I can get the tinted shadows... I like the idea of uding the native radiosity colour more! :)

I MUCH prefer to do the entire thing in one setup, re Blotchi's concept of basically being able to drop any object on it and not have to think too much. It's not that great if you have to spend hours in compositing afterwards - I love tweaking in post... not recompositing everything in post! :D That and the issue of reflection: Since the objects with in turn reflect the environment, so if the shadow isn't right in the render.. it won't reflect right either!

and Yeah I notice that your environmental data is stored with the scene, as the slight tweaks I had made to my image gamma on the background plate transferred over :)

gerardstrada
07-26-2009, 09:36 PM
The nice thing about DP_NIF is that we can save presets. Then we can have a LSD preset to tint or saturate more the shadows/shades in post - like we'd make it in a compositing package. So we don't need to spend hours re-composing anything! :) We enhance the final render automatically through a preset (like when we tint the LSD option in G2). Since the preset is only enhancing what is already there, shadows/shades in reflections are consistent as well. Though this effect is so subtle in reflections that I don't worry much about it.

http://imagic.ddgenvivo.tv/forums/RS.gif

Btw, in the case of sIBL tonemapped background, it's better to perform the linearization at surface level.

Gerardo

thekho
07-28-2009, 11:42 PM
Interseting stuff, gerardo! :thumbsup: also thanks very much for sharing your excellent plugins, blochi! :thumbsup:

twine
07-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Is there a way to fake depth of field with Sibl? Perhaps somehow using an object like a shadow catcher but using the information from the camera view to project the HDRI background onto a polygon and then intergrate this with the DOF effects?

Blochi
07-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Well, yes, you would take the sphere that comes from sIBL (which is unique for each environment), and reshape it in modeler to match the image content. If you look at that sphere, you'll see that it's mapped with UVs, so that texture just sticks. And it's rather high-res and tabbable as well.

Same goes for the ground - it's made for displacement, getting most resolution in the center when you make it SubD's. Seriously, took me a day to model that sphere and the ground plane. A day each ;)
Was also thinking about a displacement map for the ground as good ingredient for a sIBL. Only that I haven't found a reliable way other than painting them...

gerardstrada
07-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Perhaps CrazyBump might be useful for that:

http://www.crazybump.com/

It's not accurate but it can generate Normal maps and Displacement maps (and even AO maps and Specular maps) from common photographs. Maybe it can do the trick.

Gerardo

twine
08-08-2009, 04:30 AM
Ive just been trying to swap out one of the Sibl Hdri images for one of these, http://www.openfootage.net/ and they come out real dark. Is there something I need to do or is this just not going to work?

bjornkn
08-08-2009, 06:19 AM
Have you tried adjusting the gamma up somewhat? And the brightness?
BTW, there's something odd with those files, as they are not in the 2:1 ratio, which they should be to be true equirectangular images. Like 10,000x5,000 instead of 10,000x4,000px.

Tobian
08-08-2009, 08:41 AM
As a note: If you are using HDR images they usually exist in Linear gamma space (which makes the mid point darker than normal)

Either use them as they are, converting your model colours to linear gamma colour, and then save out the renders as HDR (or EXR) and load them in Photoshop...

Or increase their gamma.

The usual Gamma conversion is 0.4545 <-> 2.2 (If you're going from Linear -> sRGB it's 2.2 and if you're going from sRGB -> linear you need to modify it by 0.4545)...

However, it never seems to work out exactly like that, and I noticed most (non linear) gamma versions aren't done that way in the SIBL sets, so i think some of it is down to user choice!

gerardstrada
08-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Twine, as other have said, that's ok if they are in linear space. In that case you may want to work in linear space http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/smile.gif If you want to work in non-linear space, you can set up the gamma settings with sIBL-Edit.

Since working in gamma space is not fully consistent with how renderers work internally, some people like to compensate and adjust the gamma correction a bit lowest of what it should be in a proper linear workflow. Some of these compensations take place also because some HDRIs are made in MACs, where some color spaces (like sRGB) looks brighter than in windows/vista systems (1.8 / 2.2).

Gerardo

twine
08-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks guys, I've increased the Gamma to 2.2 in image editor. Its giving me acceptable results. I might tweak this later, but for now I have something useable to work with.

Tobian
08-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Or rather than tweaking the images, just apply a Gamma 2.2 adjustment in the processing tab -> Full Precision Gamma - which is usually set to 2.2 by default! :D

adhesiveX
08-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Hi Everyone, quick question, does the smart ibl plugin works in 32 bit Lightwave?

steve0077
08-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Sure does.

Tobian
08-11-2009, 01:35 PM
It's an Lscript, so it works with all versions of Lightwave! :)

adhesiveX
08-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the info.

Blochi
08-11-2009, 02:50 PM
well, almost. Only from 9.5 to latest release, Mac, Win, Win64.

composermanII
09-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Does anyone have an earlier version of this plugin that will work with Lightwave 8.5? I know, I should upgrade, but that's not in the budget right now. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Troy

Riff_Masteroff
10-12-2010, 10:44 AM
I am nine months late self-discovering the updated (01/07/10) V2.2 sIBL script. Hmmm, "Linear Workflow preferred for LW HARDCORE". From the downloaded version text file:

v2.2 http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/downloads/sIBL_Lightwave.zip

New in Version 2.2:
-------------------

- sIBL List is now sorted alphabetically.
- Improved support for multiple lights.
- Setup process more stable, especially on large scenes.
- History menu for sIBL collections.
- Linear Workflow preferred for LW HARDCORE.
- New Preference: Set name appendix for output scenes.
- New Option: Area Light for sIBL sun.
- Much better Radiosity presets (by BredeRock).
- Several bugfixes and code cleanup.

JohnMarchant
10-12-2010, 10:56 AM
I am nine months late self-discovering the updated (01/07/10) V2.2 sIBL script. Hmmm, "Linear Workflow preferred for LW HARDCORE". From the downloaded version text file:

v2.2 http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/downloads/sIBL_Lightwave.zip

New in Version 2.2:
-------------------

- sIBL List is now sorted alphabetically.
- Improved support for multiple lights.
- Setup process more stable, especially on large scenes.
- History menu for sIBL collections.
- Linear Workflow preferred for LW HARDCORE.
- New Preference: Set name appendix for output scenes.
- New Option: Area Light for sIBL sun.
- Much better Radiosity presets (by BredeRock).
- Several bugfixes and code cleanup.

Thanks mate cant wait to check it out. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Blochi
10-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Yo Riff. You should keep the "Check for Updates" checked, then it would actually notify you. Keep it on "Monthly", because I don't get to update it as often as I would like to.

Since LW10 has all he nice color management built in, I added a version check that recommends linear workflow in these builds.

Sorry, 8.5 is out. There's no way to go back, I have actually added so much stuff that relies on newer builds.... And I don't recommend any older version, can't tell which one was stable.

One thing: For some reason that I have not discovered there is an Expression that tends to break. So, right after the setup is done, do this:
- go to Windows--Backdrop
- Open the ITexture Environment Plugin that is already there
- Click on Texture
- Click on Rotation
- Click on the E behind Heading
- Graph Editor opens.
- switch Channels to Expressions
- Select the sIBL_Sync expression
- Apply this to the Heading Envelope of the Environment

Yes, it's damn tedious. And possibly not even necessary. Just wanted to let you know. Hope to get this fixed in the next version....

lardbros
02-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks so much! I love this plugin, and haven't got round to using this latest incarnation yet, but it's always been great before, so imagine it's even better now.

A few years back in San Diego I was lucky enough to attend one of your seminars on HDR production etc, and it was great to see and hear all the difficulties and how you overcome them. Also nice to see Lightwave being used for work too! :D

Keep up the great work!

MentalFish
02-08-2011, 02:29 PM
2.2 crashes LW 10 on Mac OS X 10.6.6 when I pick the sIBL images folder. What to do?