PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #45 - Tools of the Artist

AdamAvenali
07-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Speed Modeling Challenge #45 - Tools of the Artist

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2: Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

Lightwave Speed Modeling Group

Subject - Tools of the Artist

I'm pretty sure that we are all familiar with what art is and what it takes to create it. Well, that is this week's subject matter, tools of the artist. Anything used to create art is fair game :thumbsup:

Brainstorm session: Pencil, paint brush, chisel, charcoal, printmaking tools, wacom tablet, camera, video camera, T-square, and the list goes on...

Time Limit - 60 minutes

Deadline - Wednesday 08 July 2200 GMT

R.Feeney
07-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Good subject :thumbsup:

20 min modeling. The ship is from some inking I screwed up earlier this year.

COBRASoft
07-01-2009, 04:03 PM
R. Feeney, you've set the standard already, how can we ever beat you :)

Really, nice work and that in 20 minutes, you must be a master modeller!

R.Feeney
07-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks man but I`m just a hobbyist and in no way a master modeler.

Seriously all that is in that shot is 4 boxes 2 discs a bit of beveling knifing and welding.
Edit-
A couple of other bits for the text and ink drips.

COBRASoft
07-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Well, I can see the way you did it, but only afterwards. Also, that brush pencil thing looks very nice. I'm a fan of your fast work :)

I'm a hobbyist myself, but don't have enough time for LightWave, my development work asks too much attention (self-employed). I guess it's almost impossible to be 'good' in both art and development at the same time these days. The tools change so fast that it is hard to follow all new developments out there.

I'm in desperate need of a day of 48 hours :lol:

Iain
07-02-2009, 05:05 AM
Nice model & render Richard.:thumbsup:

Here's some oil paint.
35 minutes modelling/texturing. Rendered in FPrime (which still kicks major ar$e in my book :)).

Kuzey
07-02-2009, 05:19 AM
Nice work guys!

I love that render Iain, makes me want to pick up a paintbrush again :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Iain
07-02-2009, 07:16 AM
Thanks Kuzey :thumbsup:

The brush was bugging me so I took it out. It was a ropey old model of mine.

BlueApple
07-03-2009, 11:22 AM
Nice entries so far, everyone.

I've been doing some block printing lately, so it made sense to model these guys. 30 minutes on modeling. If I get the time I'll texture this up and do a proper render.

For those interested, here is a link to my print making progress:
http://www.blueapplestudio.com/currentProjects/currentProjects.html

Iain
07-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Nice clean model, Adam. (And I love the prints. Great style!)

BlueApple
07-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Iain.

I failed to mention before posting THE ABOVE LINK to my block prints that there is a BIT OF NUDITY. Be warned.

I did a little texturing work on the model; see below.

Kuzey
07-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Man....this challenge is hitting new heights...nice render Adam :thumbsup:

I love printmaking as well. That orange thing looks interesting...I used to use the back of a large spoon instead :D

Kuzey

colkai
07-04-2009, 03:05 AM
I did a little texturing work on the model; see below.

A little bit of texturing? That looks lovely! :)

Iain
07-05-2009, 08:42 AM
A palette. Modelling about 2 minutes and I won't even bother with the wire :D

cirdan
07-06-2009, 03:32 AM
A palette. Modelling about 2 minutes and I won't even bother with the wire :D
I was always told to keep it simple. Iain your renders are often (always) premium class...
How did you do the paintbrush (in particular the "brush" side :-) ) ?

Here's my entry (I try to participate to thes challenges, but my poor modeling skills generally don't allow me to achieve anything acceptable in time ;-) ) - Modeling about 1 hour, texturing an lighting... longer than needed...

robert_Lavigne
07-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Hey there, great looking models everyone. Of the short time I've been apart of these contests this week has by far the best looking renders. Since I'm a fairly terrible classical artist I decided to model something I use everyday, my wacom tablet. About 45 minutes to model, setup was another 45, Then a quick bit of colour correction in PS.

AdamAvenali
07-06-2009, 12:26 PM
great stuff so far everyone :thumbsup:

one question, does everyone do their art on a wooden table for a reason? haha

flakester
07-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Absolutely stonking entries so far all! :thumbsup:

Just enough time for me to get an entry done before I take off to London for a few days.

Here is my fave tool: The Rotring T 0.5

I consider it to be a bit of a cop-out seeing as it's mostly lathe work, but it still took me 58 mins to model... and I still stuffed up two parts of it! (clip housing and clip rest)

Not sure what happened to the wire render either, maybe just having one of those days! :p

Again, grand stuff everyone.

--
flakester

bazsa73
07-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Cool entries!
(why am I so lazy?)

COBRASoft
07-06-2009, 07:18 PM
The model level reached in this challenge goes way beyond my capabilities within 1 hour. Really nice work so far, from all!

JeffrySG
07-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Really great entries everyone! lovely renders. :)

COBRASoft
07-07-2009, 11:12 AM
I couldn't resist to try something myself after all.

This is a knife, used for many purposes by an artist. In my example, it is used to cut out paper.

40 minutes modeling, 2 hours layout (between working :))

AdamAvenali
07-07-2009, 11:33 AM
i would just like to thank everyone for what is shaping up to be the HARDEST WEEK TO JUDGE EVER! haha

COBRASoft
07-07-2009, 02:13 PM
I would love to have some of those textures you guys use, specially the wood ones, they look amazing! Preset Central them please :D

cirdan
07-07-2009, 03:22 PM
I forgot the wires.
No way to find how to edit my previous post.
By the way, these are different from my initial image, and thus beyond 1 hour of modeling...

Nice renders everybody :thumbsup:

R.Feeney
07-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Stunning work guys.
no more time for me this week and I just found this
http://www.drawger.com/?what=shows&show_id=32
The Museum of Forgotten Art Supplies

JCG
07-08-2009, 03:55 PM
I've got a wire. 48 mins.
I'm not sure if I'll be able to set the particles for a render in the 8 minutes left but I'll try.

Edit: Failed! >_<;;

robert_Lavigne
07-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Good effort JCG, I'm sort of curious (You'll have to forgive my ignorance) What it that? Some sort of turbine aimed at a canvas??

R.Feeney
07-08-2009, 04:51 PM
I just started this weeks challenge
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=901472#post901472
Art Deco

RudySchneider
07-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Good effort JCG, I'm sort of curious (You'll have to forgive my ignorance) What it that? Some sort of turbine aimed at a canvas??

Yeah, looks like a modern way to produce a Jackson Pollock...

JCG
07-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Good effort JCG, I'm sort of curious (You'll have to forgive my ignorance) What it that? Some sort of turbine aimed at a canvas??Jurgen von Anhalt :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fuAd4YdIcU
He was in That's Incredible, back in the day. (Or Believe it of Not, or something like that).

It lives on: http://www.artbistro.com/news/articles/8481-first-woman-artist-uses-jet-engine-to-create-art

AdamAvenali
07-08-2009, 08:53 PM
hey all,

well, rather than go through the breakdown of everyone's pieces this week, i just want to jump to the winner.

congratulations Iain!

it really came down to the amount of detail carried out in such a short amount of time. i mean even the inside of the cap has some paint on it and is twisted in the correct manner. superb.

in an extremely close second was EVERYONE else! really everyone, these entries are phenomenal.

i see every month in 3D World that newtek has an ad within the first few pages illustrating its speed. if they really wanted to show off the abilities they need to spotlight one of these challenges. the amount of work done in such a short period of time is amazing.

COBRASoft
07-09-2009, 02:32 AM
Congrats Iain!

BlueApple
07-09-2009, 05:44 AM
Well done, Iain!

flakester
07-09-2009, 09:16 AM
:agree:
Congrats Iain, well deserved.

Awesome entries from everyone.
Hope I get more time to entertain myself with this weeks challenge!:D

--
flakester

R.Feeney
07-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Well done Iain, excellent work.:thumbsup:

Iain
07-10-2009, 04:33 AM
Wahey! Thanks guys :D

Great entries all round on this one, mainly because it was a really good topic, I think.

On to the next :thumbsup:

Iain
07-10-2009, 04:37 AM
How did you do the paintbrush (in particular the "brush" side :-) ) ?

Lots and lots of thin cylinders. Doesn't get much more simple than that. It's an old model and Layout hates it!

Nice model and render, cirdan!